You Have 843 Unread Posts

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Dan, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

This exact situation happens if you have excluded any forums from the "Exclude forums from view" feature in the "Edit Options" section of this site's User CP.

This is because Paul's modification doesn't integrate with that Exclude Forums modification, so it doesn't know to exclude those forums when counting unread posts.

The only workarounds are:

1) Mark all forums read once you've read all the posts
    2) Clear all the excluded forums so you're not excluding any.

Whatever anyone else says, I promise you this is the cause of this problem.

2. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Dude, tbqh, I never set an exclusion so I don't think that is the case here. Next time it happens, I will take screenshots/video.

3. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Go to the exclude forums screen (UserCP > Edit Options, scroll to the very bottom), click "Reset Exclusions" in the list and then save.

4. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

Just happened to me.

Found out that, it was caused by a comment to an article.

Apparently, the Article system isn't excluded from the New Posts feature. Which, actually, is a good thing. People will wonder why there are still unread posts, when all of the forums are marked as read.

They'll click that link, and the Articles and corresponding comments will appear. They'll read those, and possibly reply. So, it generates user contribution in those areas that aren't shown on the main index.

5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Which modification is that then ?

The 3.8 version has built in support for these two ;

6. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Oh bugger!

Either I've still got on old version or I just hadn't noticed that!

Christ Paul you're far too on the ball with your mods, you even catch ME out. You're too damn good at this....

Actually, my advice in this thread was not so much wrong as a couple of years out of date. I need to get with it.

*checks admincp*

I've got 3.7.007 - guess I need to update. I'll do it...sometime....

7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

The Articles here are just standard Forums and Threads, just displayed in a slightly different manner.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Oops, I didn't know that. I was still on version .002. Just upgraded. :)

9. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I didn't know either!

Paul should be offered employment by Internet Brands, for a large salary. He does a fantastic job of his modifications, plus as I am a member of CableForum I can say he's damn good as an admin too.

10. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

ROFL. :D

I dont think they can handle my directness. :)

11. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

JFYI, I noticed today that AdminAddict does have a set-up in which its possible for an unread post to be counted, thats not actually visible.

This is the [relatively] rare situation of a forum in which you cannot view other peoples threads. If someone posts to one of those threads, it will get counted, but you will not be able to see it. This is known about, but is very difficult to take account of - even vb doesnt bother, the forum will [incorrectly] show you the "contains new posts" icon, and the last post stats are hidden by the word "Private" as they would also be wrong.

There are two options - 1. exclude any posts in that forum from counting, or 2. count them even though you may not have access. I went for option 2 so you would never miss a post.

(In case anyone is wondering, its the "Contact the Staff" forum here that is set-up like this).

3 people like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Ahh, good catch, Paul. Along with that forum, there is also the "Submit an Article" forum, in which you can only see your own threads. I prefer your second option as well, so that nobody misses any posts. :cool:

13. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    Thanks for that info Paul! I suppose we would see that if someone submits an article as well, however we keep the forum empty since not many are submitted and when they are, they're moved quickly.