Yet another vb4 thread

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Michael, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Shelly, I'm not taking anything personally. Clearly I lack the proper perspective, or possibly the necessary communication skills to understand.

• To me vB is a tool which I use, sold by a business
    • Yes there have been changes to the licensing structure
    • Yes some things could have been handled better but overall things were handled fairly decently. Remember when everyone was mad because the leaked information indicated current licensing holders would not be allowed to download 4.x? Now that they can download 4.x while they are a current license holder they are mad because they will no longer be able to download updates until they buy the 4.x package. What was vB supposed to do? They did the most logical thing they could and I don't understand why everyone is so upset.

2. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Everything in vBulletin 3.8.4 Forums is available in vBulletin 4.0 Forums.

2 people like this.
  3. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Thanks Wayne! I am super glad to hear that because we love our Social Groups!!!!!!!!!!!

I still think vB is an excellent product and I really really like it. Granted, I have only ever tried phpBB before, but I have had nothing but really good experiences with vB and their support.

Finances are hard right now and we cannot afford to get the suite upgrade at the lower price, even if we wanted, and the thought of losing our style and all that is kinda scary. On the other hand, it is also going to be a learning experience and a fresh start.

I am sure that all other solutions probably have their problems. I would NEVER go back to a free open-source solution. Ever.

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Might want to think about finding funding for the presale peacelilly.

• Each band member could have a blog.
    • Each back stage hand could have a blog telling tales of the road and sharing pictures they took.
    • You could have a blog chronicling the tales of an admin in search of funding.

Those were just some casual thoughts.

Might attract much more advertising revenue.

5. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Sadly, the band does not blog except for one member on their own site.

And I am pretty married to wordpress, been using it since 2001.

Of our 10000+ members, 371 people have blogs.

I guess, bottom line, if I could get my hands on something that made sense as to why I need the suite, I might consider it, but the vague "CMS!" is meaningless to me without a practical and real-world example of how it works.

And OMG, it took me for damn ever to find the Members area on the new vBulletin homepage. Once I saw it way up there at the top, it seemed obvious, but ... yeah. :doh:

Well, that and it says that only the Suite will have the following.

Community Management Tools
    User Management
    User-Group Management
    Social-Group Management
    Powerful Moderation Tools
    Inline Moderation Tools

Really? I got no User Management on the new one? Or moderation tools? That's handy.

I just do not find their little side by side comparison to be useful in the least.

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

As always, keep us posted. I assume you know that a 4.x license will be needed to access the 3.8 downloads once your 3.8 license is no longer active.