Woooo - I've done it - VB4.0 Publishing Suite

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Dan, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I haven't found a problem with either?!

The What's New button is brilliant. Once you've pressed it you can view new group messages, new events, new articles, new blogs, whatever. I don't think you could get vBAdvanced so integrated.

If there are no posts, it shows up with the "search for posts in the last 24 hours" link, as the old one did.

So I don't see and issue with that.

And the 'find all posts by this user' I find exactly the same as the old, but laid out to meet the new style, which is brilliant IMO.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit? Maybe I'm missing something?

2. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Bloody hell. Just found another decent feature testing this new post lark lol.

If you click on a username on the forum homepage (so in the last post by bit) you get a popup menu thing that allows you to search for "find posts" "find blog entries" and "find articles" along with a "go to profile" thing too.

Can't see any flaws in it at all Nick?!

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

See: Original Find All Posts!! , Search Please improve display on the "New Posts" Search , and Thread search results needs forum name column - vBulletin Community Forum - Projects.

1 - The "Find all posts by user" search lists threads, not posts. Therefore, it's no different than the "find all threads by user" search. What's the point of having two of the same thing?

2 - There needs to be a "forum" column on the New Posts search. It used to be there, but it disappeared with 4.x. Sophie opened the bug report for this in early December, but it still hasn't been fixed, even in the "gold" release.

4. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I can't replicate the preview text issue, and I think the layout is brilliant This is the same issue, and again, I think it's fine. And again, same issue.
    I don't see this as a bug but a design suggestion. And I think having the thread title and then the preview is sound. It works well and looks clean. More columns would just clutter it up more IMO.

5. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Nah, definately definately definately. I much prefer the new look.

The preview must have been fixed, and to be honest, even in BETA 3 I had no issues with it. Just tested it on firefox, chrome, IE 7 and 8. I believe 6 had 'some' issues but they've been fixed now.

I think just the odd few people want a whole new column for the forum category, when it displays the category in a sound place, and sort of makes the column a sentence which is sound.

Topic Title
    Posted by XXXX in ABC

Is just fine IMO. When you hit the new posts button, you want a list of new posts and not specifically the categories they're in. I think if you wanted to see the new posts in the categories you just go to the forum category itself.

Why would you want to click new posts and then use a category column to navigate to the category? And why would you want to specifically have a column just for the categories.

Doing it this way keeps your eyes in one place as you scroll down the page and it just seems to make sense.

I really do hope Sophie doesn't do anything about it for the sake of the, waht, 6 people moaning about it? lol

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Sorry, I have to disagree w/ the not showing Categories of where the posts are as it's a fundamental part of the information.

Boards that may have multiple categories where a certain topic may be repeated, it is good to see where that thread is sitting. From admin standpoint, a decision to merge. From a user standpoint, the topics still may be different enough to be rightfully in different categories (e.g, private vs public).

This is a very simple bit of info that can really assist with interpreting the thread content.

7. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    But it DOES show the categories of where the posts are, and in a better place IMO.

An example, and I hope this works right

Any corgi people in or near Telford?

Posted By GMad in forum Gas Fitting

Obviously the text not being so big lol
    Edit: the test wasn't as big in the post as when I copy and pasted it. :)

8. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Your link keeps taking me forumhome of AA. ???

I understand that the info is being displayed NOW on the current release of vb4. However, it was not prior.

The extra column for category is the specific item in question, which is to clearly see it and sort on it. I am assuming the preview list still sorts in ascending order based on post time?

I don't disagree that it's display looks...bad per se, but it's usage does not seem to facilitate the above sorting and makes you have to scan for that infor a bit more.

9. MrThomas

MrThomas Addict

First Name:
    Tom
    Ok, very silly question.
    I've looked every where but can't really find anything.

How to I upgrade from VB3.8.4 to VB 4?

10. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    It's because I copy and pasted one of the columns / topics for you. It was just an example.

I never saw or noticed the issue from BETA 3. Perhaps I missed it though?!

I think having another column for the category is a backwards step. Right now your eyes are on the left where the topic title is, and you can see (almost without looking) what forum category it is in. As with the old, the list is orders new to old.

I think the 'complaint' is more a design suggestion.

Though comparing to my many 3.8's right now as we speak, as I scroll up and down you sometimes have to double check which category the topic is in as you can/may mix it up with the topic above/below the one you're interested in.

How the new and improved look (and I'll call it that) is works far better and is much more pleasing on the eye.

Our mods love the newer layout it seems too, though perhaps they're just saying so as I did :D

11. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Installation and upgrade files are included in the script, as always.

But basically you backup the database and site files.

Uninstall or turn off all modifications (using the config.php file if it's the latter).

Backup the database and site files (just to be sure you do that I'm saying it again! lol)

Upload all the new files (some say remove the old first - I've not done it yet)

Then run the installation script. Almost like upgrading from 3.8.2 to 3.8.4 or whatever the jump was version-wise.

Dead easy, as they say.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Dan, try it here on AA. Find all posts made by you: AdminAddict - Search Results ; find all threads started by you: AdminAddict - Search Results

You should notice the fundamental difference between the two pages. The first one allows me to check out all of your individual posts, as one would expect based on the name of the function. The second one allows me to just see a list of threads started by you, which is also the expected behavior. But in vB 4, clicking "find all posts by user" takes you to a page that lists all of the threads that you posted in. That is nowhere near the expected behavior, and is a serious issue.

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It's not a backwards step when you consider the fact that 3.8 and every other previous version has the forum name in a separate column. Sometimes when I only have a few minutes to browse my forums, I check the New Posts list and scan for threads that are in critical areas: Staff Lounge, Reported Posts, or Suggestions/Feedback. It was extremely easy to do this in previous versions, because I could simply scan the far-right column. In 4.0 it is impossible to do this with any efficiency because there is so much clutter in-between, and the forum name is in a place buried away.

It's not just a picky user who is complaining. It has always been this way, the original way is efficient, and there was absolutely no reason to make the change. Therefore, it's a bug, and needs to be corrected.

14. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I see.

Though that's a different issue to the column suggestion for the new posts page.

Though yeah. I understand what you're saying about that now mate.

Eeeeerm. I don't mind the one style for it. Though if Sophie sorts that out, I wouldn't mind the old look. It perhaps could be better from a moderators point of view the old way.

With the text showing up when you hover over the title though, from a members point of view it's not too dissimilar is it?

15. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I'd have to disagree with this one though matey.

If it's a design change, and there's no functional flaw, surely it can't be a bug?

I prefer the new look for the reasons I've stated above (especially on a large computer screen, the old turning your head from left to right to see what cat a topic is in was tiring on the old eyes and neck (perhaps a small exaggeration there).

Though you could say anybody who doesn't like the new login layout would call that a bug as they see it as a step back in functionality? That's just nuts IMO.

Edit: I understand you prefered to check the forums - though as I've said before, perhaps just checking the forums would suffice and not using the new posts button which has a primary use of showing new posts. Think of the members, that's what I'd say.

16. Nick

Nick Regular Member

That's not so bad, but there is still an issue with this: Clicking on the result doesn't take you directly to the post that is shown in the hover-over tooltip.

17. EdgeOfVanity

EdgeOfVanity Addict

First Name:
    Wayne
    I love VB4! Much better than I anticipated it would be at this early stage of development. I can't wait until more mods are released for it

18. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Hmmmm - I see. Perhaps that could be improved then, but I still think the actual layout is perfect and consistant to all the search pages/features which is a good thing for getting members used to following content and using all the features available. Perhaps?

Though I'll still have to get you in a ring to argue out the other "bug" (design suggestion) properly. :speechless::lol::lol:

19. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Me too, me too matey.

We should meet half way down the A50 and have a right good drink and natter over it for new year.

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

There's a difference; the changes made to the search pages have absolutely no substance as to the reasoning for the changes, and they make a huge impact on usability and efficiency. Logging in isn't as big of a deal.

In a car, if the windshield wiper control is moved from the left side of the steering wheel to the right side, it isn't a big deal (compared to adjusting the login form). However, when the driver's seat is moved to the trunk of the car, you have a huge problem with usability (compared to a huge jumbling of the search pages).
    Again, this is purely inefficient, especially when you have a handful of forums you'd like to scan.