Windows 7 Advice

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by tech, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    When you purchase the FULL RETAIL package of Vista (and I'm assuming Win7), you get both the 32 AND 64 bit discs. You CAN upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

I think the confusion here is in communication, and the OP not understanding what was meant:

You can upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, using the same key you had before. However, that upgrade will have to be done as a clean install.

In Vista and 7, a "clean install" doesn't mean you lose anything, it just means that the current OS garbage is moved over to windows.old (IIRC that's what they call it). Your user folder, your desktop, it's all moved over.

It's been a few months (RC1) since I went through an upgrade, but it really isn't that complicated.

Can you do an "automatic upgrade" from 32 to 64 bit? No, you have to do a full install, which an upgrade disk will allow you to do. Even with that , you lose nothing, as I said.

3. tech

tech Regular Member

Assuming an 'Upgrade' is popping the disc in and clicking install > Upgrade you can not upgrade from 32bit to 64bit.

4. tech

tech Regular Member

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_134b03575557cd3bd8f12eddb92832f3.png

Oh, would you look at that, i just proved everyone who thought it was possible wrong..

You can NOT upgrade using the upgrade process 32bit to 64bit..

An Upgrade is NOT a clean install to 64bit from 32bit..

EDIT: Im going to bed now.

5. twhiting9275

Nobody ever questioned that you can't jump from 32 to 64 bit without reinstalling completely. You can, however, use an upgrade disk to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Your argument to that was "you can't do this". Yes, you, in fact can do this! Order the 64 bit upgrade disk, put it in, start the install, do a clean install (you should always do this anyways when upgrading major versions). When the upgrade (install) is done, save the files you want, and clean out the rest. Quick, Easy, Painless upgrade.

Please, don't try to say you can't do this, I know, for a fact that you can, and others have said the same thing. It's not complicated, it's just like a fresh install, really.

By simply "upgrading" (not reinstalling the OS) from Vista to 7, you're bound to see issues pop up, and it's going to be a very sluggish process. Save yourself the hassle and do it the right way, by doing a fresh install.

6. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    Really? That's cool. You'll really love it - Snow Leopard is blazing fast as well!

If you still don't like it, then I guess we'll respect your differences :)

7. tech

tech Regular Member

Exactly your doing a Clean Install, thats not upgrading..

More Confirmation from MS Support:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  8. twhiting9275

You appear to know everything, so whatever.
    I know that it can be done, and you do not need a full install.
    Of course they want to get you to buy a full version. They're Microsoft, and they will steal your money however they can. It's their job as sales people to sell you the product they want you to have.

You can, however, upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without buying the full version disk. Yes, it's a "clean install", but you should always do a clean install when you're moving from OS to OS anyways.

You are not correct in the assumption that you need a "full" version to do this. You can run an upgrade version just fine. I've done it a number of times in the past.

9. S33ker

S33ker Newcomer

In terms of the Windows vs MAC, it is always the same, MAC hits a small niche in the market of designers and Windows hits the general market which is why they sell more and their owner is the worlds richest man in the world. I personally pour a can of petrol on anything made by apple and burn it, then I nuke windows and go to Linux :) then release I pretty much depend on windows to run every application I need to work and play, and then cry :/

My point, depending on what you need a computer for, how you were brought up with computers (what you are used to) and how technically challenged you are, will depend on what the better operating system is best for YOU.

Anywhoo..

10. twhiting9275

Who is no longer the "richest man in the world", or hasn't been for a few years, and hasn't had anything to do with Microsoft since his retirement, what, last year?

I would love to run Linux and only Linux, did for a number of years, but like you said, the apps are developed for windows, not linux

11. S33ker

S33ker Newcomer

My bad, but he does still have "something to do with Microsoft" im pretty sure, went from 80% MS 10% charity, to 80% charity, 10% Microsoft. Or am i talking out my backside again?

Who is the richest in the world now then? (off-topic).

12. twhiting9275

As far as richest man, it's been fluctuating. Apparently I'm wrong, Gates is (this year), but he tends to trade spots with Buffet a good bit.

As far as involvement with Microsoft, I think it's safe to assume that unlike Jordan, retiring means just that, retiring, he's gone. I haven't heard any news of him being back in their game anyways.. Of course, that's just an assumption, like that of he's still there, they could both be correct, we don't know ;)