When did trolls/idiots online become such a big deal for everyone?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by CM30, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

Trolling was once an art form, and it certainly did NOT involve wrecking people's sites. It was subtle, and amusing when done properly, and generally speaking reasonably good natured (within the boundaries of what they were trying to do). Done well, it was a craft you could admire. Albeit from a distance, and wearing sunglasses and a false beard.

Flooding sites, DDoS'ing sites, bullying people, driving members away and the general all-out attempts to completely destroy sites by hook or by crook, are far from "trolling".

Filthy abuse posted at celebrities (and other people) on Twitter is not "trolling" either.

The media have taken the word and misappropriated it for dramatic purposes.

AWS and pixelek like this.
  2. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I think you can add to that attempts by admins and those who have the "buttons" to attempt to destroy peoples reputations by stifling genuine comments and posting defamatory untrue comments for their own gratification.

pixelek likes this.
  3. Adrian Schneider

Adrian Schneider Regular Member

First Name:
    Adrian
    Mark, to me, the difference just sounds like which side of the trolling you are on.

Trolling, yes, it's fun and I'm sure there is a skill to doing it well (whatever that means)... but to the person on the receiving end of it, it often is taken as bullying, abusive. And to the bully, the victim is being over-dramatic. Get over yourself, right?

Maybe I'm not seeing the same things you guys are, but to me, it's the same thing. It just depends who's involved and how far they are willing to go to make their point. Whether you have access to Twitter, a server farm, or a large rock, the intent is the same.

Big al likes this.
  4. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

Well written short story of how trolling transformed itself.... Nothing to be added here.....

5. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

The best trolling is actually when it's troll-on-troll.

Then, there's what used to be called "reverse trolling", where someone who was NOT a troll, would lay a "honeypot" trap, and watch the actual trolls all dive on it. You used to see this years ago on the old BBS/usenet groups but it's largely died out now. The question was always, by turning the tables on a troll, did you become a troll yourself? There's never a satisfactory answer to that.

6. Adrian Schneider

Adrian Schneider Regular Member

First Name:
    Adrian
    Yeah, reminds me of the term flaimbait. I don't hear it much anymore though.

Regardless, what kills me is when two trolls take over good discussions on a forum and make it entirely about themselves. We've seen that here a few times recently.

I think the trick is to channel their opposing forces into more structured discussions rather than having them destroy everything else they touch. Do many forums put try and organize debates nowadays? I know I'd be interested in reading them at least.

7. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

Oh come on.....its crystal clear. Once you start trolling you become a troll.... Thats it

Big al likes this.
  8. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I remember those days well. Most of the time a troll could start a riot with a one line response at the correct moment in a thread.

Don't confuse trolling with bullying. They are totally different. A troll only wants to get everyone riled up. A good one will post maybe one or 2 times in a thread and then sit back and watch the fireworks. A troll also know how to handle a bully. In fact trolls like to rile up the bullies because they know in the end the bad ass behind the keyboard will show that he is really a sheep in wolves clothing.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  9. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well... you are an *expert* on the subject.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. vbulletin4forsale

vbulletin4forsale Regular Member

Trolls ruin the online experience for the honest people. It's horrible to have genuine and important conversations ruined by people who are just out to make jokes and disrupt real communication.

pixelek likes this.
  11. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

Totally agree with this. In fact that is why I ban trolls immediately.