What happened to the AA love?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Anonymous, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

At times the F word can be used in an ok way, some other words cannot be. There are worse words than the F word. Such as one that rhymes with 'bunt'.

Yes I've been surprised at some of the anger in some of the threads too as of late. While it may not be much condolence things are much nicer here than other forums.

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I sort-of disagree. As stated earlier in this thread, we are all administrators of our own forums and we know what we expect of our members in regards to the use of that word. Regardless of that, all of us here should be mature enough to get our point across without even having to use that word in the first place. ;)

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

And that's the way I like to keep it. I am always open to suggestions, and I don't want to make all of the decisions on my own. If the majority of members want something changed, for the better of the site, then I am more than willing to implement what has been suggested, as long as it is within my means and in the best interest of the site.

I don't want to leave all of the bashing in public, because it gives a bad image, but then I don't want to be seen as one who censors everything, deletes anything I don't agree with, or anything like that. I want to find a happy medium.

It's all for you guys. :)

4. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I would never swear on anybody's forum.

I can be extremely caustic with non-swear words. Something that was actually levelled at me by my school teachers when I was as young as 11. Apparently I'm good with words and can be very hurtful.

5. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I've been told that too, and try to watch what I say. By nature I'm extremely blunt, so that doesn't always happen.

6. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Thanks Nick.

IMO, use of such language not only makes the site (and its admins) look bad, but can possibly be detrimental to its growth, simply because it could not only drive away people who don't use or like such language (there are alot of us), but keep us from joining in the first place. :shrug:

I'm sure that AA wants to appeal to all userbases, so this is somethng to keep in mind.

7. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Yup, we're potentially the same in that regard. But I do usually recognise that trait in others and thus don't get offended.

If it's any consolation, I don't think I've ever been offended by any of your forthright opinions on any of the major vb-related forums.

8. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Actually AA is one one of my favourite of the vB-linked boards at the mo. (I know AA isn't exclusively vb). The atmosphere here is exactly where I like to to be.

9. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Whew that's good to know. Altho there are others who have been, judging by the occasional pm and/or email I receive. ;)

I agree. Here and vBulletin-FAQ are my favorite places.

10. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I'd always far rather have a forthright opinion, even if I don't agree with it. That's the foundation my own site is based on, though it doesn't have cause some friction at times. :o

11. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Its the delivery that counts.

a forthright opinion that comes of righteous will fall on blind eyes or what have you, as opposed to one that is humble.

That initial tone or perception is one that is very difficult to change as time goes on.

12. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Too deep man.

2 people like this.
  13. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

well...you're a RGB-Stealing-Vampire.

Edit: whoa, that's heavy. ;) (name that quote) sorry if I spun this.

14. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Having the forum say "f***" instead of "[****][****][****][****]" =
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwj--wGEgY"]YouTube - CLIP #2 of Louis CK Chewed UP (SHOWTIME OCT. 4 at 11PM)[/ame]

;)

15. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Personally I only find the swearing offensive when it is directed at myself, if someone on AA was to post "go and [****][****][****][****] yourself" I wouldnt be happy at all, but if they posted "oh [****][****][****][****] I messed up" I wouldnt care as it isnt insulting, at least not to me.

16. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    On this forum, yeah. Kind of like what Nick said.

17. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

It's just unnecessary to use the word at all, in any context.

But that's my opinion, and clearly, I'm outnumbered. :rolleyes:

18. drumming207

drumming207 Adept

It's not how the curse word is used, but if the word is used at all. In my opinion, seeing posts with curse words sets up a Forum to be perceived a certain way.

I think this goes along with personal attacks--if personal attacks are left up for everyone to see, then it establishes in the mind of Members/Visitors that personal attacks are OK (as long as they don't get too out of hand).

On my Forum, there is no room for personal attacks. I do let members use curse words, but the words they use are "benign" and are not directed at anyone on the Forum; the words are more of an expression of how their pain is taking over their lives.

Personally, I think the key is to take proactive measures so that AA stays the welcoming, friendly, helpful place that it has been since I signed on. I believe that Admins / Moderators set the tone of a Forum and Members start to follow the Admin's lead.

Of course, just my two :2cents:. Keep up the good work!

19. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Most would agree that the content of the posts is what makes the culture of a community. If that content is rough, rude, and full of extreme language then people that don't care for that type of an environment won't take a second look. However, if a community is willing to debate respectfully and requests that members refrain from disturbing language or images then you open your community up to a wider audience (both the rough and tough crowd, those that are prim and proper, and everyone in between).

Allowing people to engage in personal attacks is especially a problem. It leads to flame wars, hurt feelings, and eventually less members. Less members means a smaller pool of knowledge for everyone to benefit from. If we don't censor the posts with personal attacks, those who engage in that type of behavior need to be made aware that their behavior isn't acceptable.

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Exactly! That is why we have absolutely no tolerance for personal attacks here.