What do YOU want to see on AA?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Nick, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

the picture idea?

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Oh, I love threads like this. I will be adding suggestions every time I think about one. Sticky this thread, please?

• An about page would be awesome. I'd love to know more about the staff.
    • A new, custom made skin for the summer. In a nutshell, a summer-themed skin.
    • AdminAddict t-shirts. This could help to improve traffic/registrations.
    • AdminAddict attire, in general. Hats, hoddies, cups, pens, key chains, key rings, stickers.
    • Interview section- you all can interview Big-Board administrators, members of this community with cool forums, etc.
    That's it, for now.

(50 points for me, woo! ;))

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Thank you for the rather descriptive list, Tom!

I'm quite fond of the "about us" page suggestion. This is something that we'll most definitely consider. :)

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I especially like this one. Start with owners of some of the better/bigger sites and top players. AVSforums, maybe the people involved with Sphinx, etc.

They are involved with forums, they must like to talk :D

5. Tom

Tom Regular Member

No problem, thank you for sticking this thread!

Also, the about page would be awesome. Considering you already have one, you can just add on to it. The About page, to me, is more of a mission statement and that should be placed on the Home page.

Yeah, I saw this idea on a few other forums and found it to be cool.

Also, they don't have to necessarily be administrators of Big-board status sites. All sites should be accepted.

And, this site would be chosen by the administration/staff. We shouldn't have any say so. Because then, it'd turn into a popularity contest and even some cheating.

6. The Cadet

The Cadet Adept

First Name:
    Jonah
    I know. It was a joke. Expect me to joke about :V a lot.

Hmm... Suggestions...

Abomination has a good idea-a modification directory.
    But why not your own script directory? It would be an interesting idea, right?
    Hosting directory would also be a nice feature. Pricing, stats, rating, commentary. Stuff like that.

MomCafe's idea has a point to it. I looked at the marketplace and I think that as just a recollection of the threads from the marketplace forum, it isn't particularly impressive. Here's an idea-make it cleaner. Give it different under-categories to work with, with listings of the threads-but clean, just the titles and links to the threads. The category setup is the important-it would make the person able to actively search for what they want.

7. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Also, another suggestion,
    With the forum directory, have sidebars with different things. "Forum of the week" along with screenshots, stats, a little about the site, etc.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Good ideas, guys. Keep 'em coming.

I particularly like the interview idea. I've been pondering this but didn't know if it was a good time to start or not. I guess, according to you guys, it is. :D

No problem, Tom. ;)

9. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Nick, now is a great time, while we're small. Many people enjoy joining forums where the administration had the opportunity to interview big time forum administrators; this kind of shows good communication, in a sense.

Interviewing the owner of Offtopic.com would be awesome!

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If you guys have ideas for questions we should ask in these interviews, feel free to post them. Preferably in a new thread in the Suggestions forum. :)

11. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Nick, a normal interview. Let me think of something and hunt around for ideas.

12. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Actually I was suggesting discussion about modifications that are on other sites like vB.org. A "Q & A" type discussion to facilitate using, or not using, a modification. Some mods are better than others, some apply, some don't apply to a site. As an example it took me a huge amount of time to find a banner plugin for my site, not too small and not too big (I did try to write my own). Eventually I resorted to contacting a friend for help, it would be nice to get that type of help on AA.

Doing that would be far less maintenance for AA.

13. John

John Regular Member

About the interview if you do that I think one of the first you should interview is vBulletin/Jelsoft, IPB, MyBB, phpBB and all thoose big forum softwares.

14. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

I think a 'killer app' would be an actual forum promotion and development service.

15. Chris

Chris Regular Member

This sounds very interesting. Care to elaborate? :)

16. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I would suggest making a "AA"-exclusive mod which can be promoted all over vBulletin-land :)

I would suggest that the first mod would be a way to have MMS (pictures/videos) uploaded automatically to forums and take the vB software to the next level towards social networking :thumbup:

17. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Forums oftentimes have a lot of trouble finding their legs. They need to fight for each new member and many new forum owners are not sure how to attract new members. They often ignore advice, even.

I've paid thousands of dollars in hosting fees. There is probably a market for people who genuinely understand that self-hosted dynamic content is expensive, and community building is becoming more and more of a feat with each passing day as the market becomes more and more saturated.

"Forum posting" is a sham. Advice on structuring, optimizing, theming, and targeting your forum, followed by actual promotion work - link campaigns, syndication, advertizement, SEM as well as SEO, and so on - you don't just offer posts. Offer members.

Because that is worth something.

18. John

John Regular Member

I would like the Facebook Connect mod to be installed on this forum so we can connect with Facebook.

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I'd love to provide this functionality, but the current modification doesn't work properly and it's a pain in the arse to deal with (I tried setting it up on my Linnie Forum).

However, we may look into having it implemented via a custom job.

20. John

John Regular Member

Yea after I posted that suggestion/request I went to look in the entire thread over at vB.org for that modification and saw a couple of stuff that is very bad. Think the biggest is the email issue.