What can you expect to pay for a dedicated server?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Soliloquy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Oh never mind! I had the decimal in the wrong place. (Go ahead and laugh Nick!) :)

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I was going to say. :D

3. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

For $50.00 a month you're getting an unmanaged server without a control panel or a very poor one. This means you better be a decent Linux Administrator in your own right. You will be in charge of software updates, including the kernal, and making sure the server is secure. The host will happily answer any question about maintaining the account but won't fix your machine. Well unless you pay the $150.00/hour administration fees.

My question is why do you need a dedicated server? A managed server would be more expensive, at least double for 3 year old hardware and probably 3 or 4 times as much for newer hardware. Though if you don't really need a dedicated, you can probably get away with a top of the line VPS with cloud storage and scalable architectures for a lot less. You can also get support and management services easier.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

:lmao: I really am laughing! Too funny!

5. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    I was about to ask which communities you had pushing nearly 2TB a month haha

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Yeah, I wish! Maybe someday, when pigs fly or swine flu...

7. Randy

Randy Adept

First Name:
    Randy
    Dedicated Servers Hosting, Web Hosting and Server Colocation from iWeb
    Reseller Hosting, Shared Hosting, Dedicated Hosting by Surpass Hosting
    WiredTree - Managed Dedicated Servers | Managed VPS Hosting | Fully Managed Web Hosting

Those are the top 3 companies i recommend to get servers from. the first two are around $130+ where wiredtree starts at about $230 which i believe is what chris will be switching too assuming they are sticking with wiredtree.

My company will be launching dedicated servers shortly for around $75/mo because I am purchasing an entire rack and will be shipping all hardware to them so it will cut down on some costs allowing me to have what I need (note all hardware will be brand new purchased straight from the companies such as western digital and intel).

But back to your subject If you are just starting out with a dedicated server I would recommend you start with a VPS or a fully managed dedicated as they can be complicated if you do not know what you are doing. Average price for a quality server tend to run about $130+.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

WiredTree rates start at around $184.00 per month - the server that I'll be purchasing, however, is indeed $230.00 per month. ;)

9. Randy

Randy Adept

First Name:
    Randy
    Actually chris its $143 a month :p we were both wrong. but yes I highly recommened wiredtree. I now have 3 dedicated servers with them and they are helpful with everything.

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That amount is actually incorrect, and it's a mistake on their part - go to the server configuration page. ;)