Vbulletin over IPB

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by MrThomas, Dec 30, 2009.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    The permissions for that are there in IPB. It's just in a different place than you would be used to. The IPB admin and permission system does take some getting used to. Once you do you'll realize how much more efficient it is. I had a blind eye to any forum software except vbulletin for a long time. My eyes are wide open now and there is no way I would ever use vbulletin again. By the end of 2010 all my sites will be converted.

2. John

John Regular Member

FWIW, I have decided to support and sell for vB 3.8 till it's EOL'd. When that occurs, I will abandon vB for good. I will not be developing for 4.0 (much to the chagrin of many of my customers I'm sure). I will now focus the majority of my efforts on IPB. I have such a bad taste in my mouth over the way IB has handled things these last six months that I'm over it and done with them forever.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I do plan (and want) to play with IPB, I am owed a license which I already asked for it to be IPB. I did play with the demo, I don't like it much. I do like the styling thingy~ Don't like how to style it. Don't like the default skin, too huge on my screen, specially that quick reply box looks like godzilla, or am I too used to MyBB?

4. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Wow, quite a statement of your future there SmackLan and understandable.

Sometimes you've just go to say no to the Customers.

You are owed a IPB license? What's that mean? Can I get owed one too? lol You're too used to MyBB.

I'd like to see what you can do stylewise for IPB considering what I've seen you do for vB and MyBB. :woot: So get on that OWED situation pronto!!

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

She won a contest. :)

6. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

wth!?!? Where's this contest? Must have been before I arrived w/ my Pwn skills. ;)

Git R Dun contest ppl!!

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

8. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

ahhhh!!?>>!

It's in the hands of the Big Cheese himself. Nick. :cool:

Thanks for the link and well done turn out and results of the contest man.

I'll go to the appropriate thread now. :)

Edit: can't post there. lol So all the winners receive their prizes and when? Just interested in the completion to the end.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Well the majority of the prizes were awarded; only two forum licenses are left. It is one certain individual that is holding all of us up, unfortunately.

10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Nick is right, and ipbsetup.com is mine, but I still chat with several top vb admins every week and that's how I know several are making the switch.
    TBH, I haven't spent much time on ipbsetup, it's more of a playground for those who haven't messed with IPB ATM.

11. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Cooooool. I've just been checking it out. I'm certainly going to use it on my next forum as a bit of a test. It appears at a glance you get everything that VB does. Am I right in assuming that?

Really didn't know they've updated it somewhat.

When was the last release? It must have been in the last 12 months or so.

12. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    the beta release of the blog, gallery and downloads mod was only last month.

13. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

I've lost my trust to ib, but i also don't want to spend hunderts of $ for ipb licences, so i've decited to stay with vB3.8 and all my new boards will be mybb

14. Grizzly

Grizzly Regular Member

As a person that has converted from MyBB to IPB I'm pretty much going ot have to say I prefer IPB. All the things I'd spend hours on installing for mods are already included. I honestly prefer IPB adn will only be starting out forums on it from now on (and I've since sold all my MyBB sites :( ) I also won't be developing skins for MyBB anymore which I'm sure my customers aren't going to like lol.

15. KW802

KW802 Regular Member

Like I mentioned on Twitter, let us know if/when you start offering a service of converting custom vB styles to IPB. At this moment in time, I think there'd be a nice little market there. :D

16. DaveUK

DaveUK Regular Member

Converted my main site from VB to IPB and am glad I did. It was also welcomed by the members as well.

Had a second VB licence in which im starting a new venture on, however should that take off I will then convert that over to IPB.

17. Gordie

Gordie Adept

For those admins who imported vB to IPB...

What did you do and what do you think of the way that IPB deals with birthdates in user's profiles?

On mine, as soon as I opened up my imported new board, one member complained as his birthdate which was set to be private on vB, was suddenly public on IPB. To my surprise, what I found out was that IPB don't even require a birthdate upon sign up - they only require a user to confirm their age.

So the only way that I could appease this user and to hide his birthdate was to delete his birthdate from his profile area.

Also, I tried to edit the member list so that birthdates don't appear on it and apparantly you can't really choose what information shows on it like you can with vB.

The import I did was just on a small new forum that I have, but I really wonder what I'd do if I tried to import one of my larger boards. :eek:

18. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Thanks for the info there. Noted.

A questions to all IPB users, what's it like to mod and style compared to VB in general?

19. Gordie

Gordie Adept

Well there is no User Interface like vB3 for changing colours etc. So what you have to do is, find the templates involved and then make your changes by changing the CSS coding. It's a little cumbersome given the fact that there really isn't an online manual.

The best resource that exists, is the how-to that one of the members created. It's posted on IBP's support forums.

2 people like this.
  20. Berek

Berek Newcomer

My apologies if I'm digging up an old thread (I googled this), but I had one more question in relation. Which service is better as a CMS to be used for an entire site, particularly one that will be posting a lot of news (not blogs) and needs categories for the news.