vbulletin.com being updated right now!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by kev, Oct 13, 2009.

1. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

Am I the only one who thinks this should have happened after vBulletin 4 was released? I don't know, but... everyone who visits will be asking where to get vBulletin 4, and why the support forum isn't yet using it now...

2. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

It Looks great. Too bad our new default style doesn't look like that.

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I know, but small steps are better then going backwards :)

4. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I'm not too crazy about the new design. And I'm definitely not crazy about the pricing issues. I loved vBulletin prior to 3.7 but now, especially recently (IB), I think it's changing for the worst and they are/have/will lose a lot of their loyal and old school customers.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, I'm so confused right now.

Wayne, if you're reading this, I have a simple question: My owned license expires on September 30th, 2010. Do I get access to the 4.0 forum? If so, what happens when my license expires?

6. David

David Regular Member

I'm not honestly a fan of the new design. It has more of a "comical" look and feel to it, rather than a processional one.

7. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

eh don't worry. That's just the .com homepage and info pages, anyway.

8. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    I just checked out the suite package and it is awesome! Going to save so much time will all of the new default widgets, hacks, and so on.

I plan on pre-ordering, but was wondering when the actual software will be released? I can't find a date and I hate to buy something and have no idea when I'll get it. Did anyone see a date?

Awesome, awesome, awesome...

Oh... and I like the site redesign. Suavé... Rico Suavé. :D

9. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I don't think there is a date yet but I believe you won't actually be charged until you get what you paid for. So technically pre-ordering it will not cost you anything now. (Unless that is wrong. It's what people are saying on the vBcom forum.)

10. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Asking Wayne a question in a thread like this is a fairly slippery slope. If he does answer he will probably be rewarded with more questions.

Are you asking if access will be terminated to the vb.com 4.x forum? For example we both have access to a standard set of forums at vb.com which include 3.8, site feedback, announcements, 3.7, 3.6. Are you asking when your license expires will you no longer be able to visit the 4.0 forum on vb.com?

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Personally my first question is:
    As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my license expires, can I continue to run the software?

Yes. However, you have to purchase a Forum 4.0 upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.

How to buy a 4.0 upgrade? There is an "upgrade for free" option, there is a buy new option, but no 4.0 upgrade option?

If it is the 'buy new' option at full price then won't that cause mass confusion regarding license numbers?

12. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Here's the vBulletin email that I just got. I think the bolded part should answer your question Nick.

HTH!
    RR

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    doesn't look like we'll be keeping the vbulletin blogs :(
    I've been reading a lot of WPMU or Durple integration, we may go that route in the future.

14. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

There is no release date yet. The software is still in alpha testing, and beta testing is coming soon.

15. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Thanks Peggy and Savage! Oh well... here's hoping it's by the end of the year!!

16. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Well ok, posting questions on vb.com would be fruitless at this time. In addition there are a record number of people online and it is a bit slow to be following every post over there.

My strategy to figure out some of the details will be to follow some of the key players posts, people like Ray. I certainly don't want to phone or send a support ticket because I'm sure they are being hammered with questions.

They did a good job with the faqs but there are some important details that I cannot figure out.

2 people like this.
  17. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

Damn, to bad I've got no cash to get the pre-order now :(.

18. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Feeling really stupid because I do not understand the differences between the suite and the free version.

Will there still be user blogs in the free version?

What is the new Blog?

Feel free to go "Go read this post over there, you silly girl!" :o

19. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

There will be 2 versions, forums only and suite.

If you are a current license holder of the forums you can download just the 4.x forums software until your current license expires. After your current license expires a 4.x upgrade needs to be purchased to download subsequent 4.x versions, there is no information regarding that cost that I can find.

Once you get a 4.x upgrade then all 4.x forums can be downloaded forever as long as they support 4.x. There is no indication how long 4.x will be supported. 6 months, 6 years, who knows.

All prior blogs and other things will be no longer as far as I can tell.

20. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

IB actually had nothing to do with the development of 3.7 and 3.8. In fact while 3.7 and 3.8 were being developed, they thought 4.0 was being worked on. They didn't step in until the day that vBulletin 4.0 was promised them came and they were told two more years.

------------------------
    The following isn't really in response to the above but general.

The presale deal is actually a very good deal when you factor in that you will not be paying an annual renewal and at current development it will be at least two years before vBulletin 5 gets into testing. Basically, Blog and CMS for $10.00.

For support issues vBulletin support is offered on a negative two version system.

Current version - Full Support, Bug Fixes, Security Fixes.
    Negative 1 version - Full Support, Security Fixes
    Negative 2 version - Security Fixes
    Negative 3+ version - No support.

So...

4.1 (current version), 4.0 (negative 1), 3.8 (negative 2)
    4.0 (current version), 3.8 (negative 1), 3.7 (negative 2)
    3.8 (current version), 3.7 (negative 1), 3.6 (negative 2)

Yeah there are no dates but hopefully that helps people understand product life.