vBulletin 4 or vBulletin 5?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by cpvr, Jul 17, 2013.

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

2. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Ah right, so all they are doing is forcing IE10 to go into IE9 compatibility mode. Typical, rather than fix the problem proper. lol

4. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

You may be right. I've had no complaints with vB 4.2.1 from IE10 users on 5 forums.

5. s.molinari

Well, maybe the work around is also satisfactory enough and the person who was complaining has another issue altogether.

Scott

djbaxter likes this.
  6. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Neither. :)

Brandon likes this.
  7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Thats pretty much correct, it was added in as a stop-gap in 4.2.1, until such time as a proper update to CKE4 could be looked into.

djbaxter likes this.
  8. s.molinari

That is fine Paul, but when is the correct correction (with or without CKE4) going to happen? I think the least amount of customers would have any issues with vB4 (or IB), if a clear strategy to get vB4 straight with some of its worse issues would be clarified. i.e. a clear signal that vB4.2.2 is being worked on and will be released and what that release will entail. To most customers it seems vB4 is seriously dead in the water and they are also propagating that information all over the internet. That needs to stop, especially in your own interest (like keeping your job).

Scott

9. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

I had my system admin upgrade our 4.2.1 to the latest version of CKE4 a few weeks ago. Not sure what he did but it works, and its not a band aid like vBulletin did to foce IE 10 into IE9 mode.

Brandon likes this.
  10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Wouldn't that be great, AFAIK vb4 hasn't been worked on since vbulletin 5 was "released"..

11. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

Not quite accurate - vB 4.2.1 was released with several fixes after the 5.x release(s) - can't recall what version of 5 had been released but 5.01 or 5.02 I think.

12. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

All those fixes were completed a long long time ago and sat on the shelf while everyone was focused on vb5.

I honestly don't think much/any work or thought has been placed in to vb4 since it forked off of vB 4.1.5 or whatever it was.

Brandon likes this.
  13. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Not true.

This is complete tosh.
    Myself & Freddie spent over a year working purely on vB4, from 4.1.5 - 4.2.1.
    We made a massive amount of changes, bug fixes (almost 2000), improvements & new features.

Brandon, ProSportsForums and djbaxter like this.
  14. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

So Paul... what happened?

15. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I wouldn't touch vbulletin 5 for at least another year (if it last that long)
    At least they fixed the annoying bug that all pages in a thread had the same URL.. That was an amazing bug..lol

16. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Can you be a little more specific.

17. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

And then you get the same scenario like with vB4.2 :D
    It got usable,People start to like it, . Even i said "ok it's getting better and there's little trust again" and what happened then? All resources where moved to the next major version. And the same scenario, which we had with vB4 started to repeat......

Brandon likes this.
  18. s.molinari

I know the answer.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
  19. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

20. s.molinari

The answer to the question

is....

IB's management either made another one of their epically poor decisions or there is a complete lack of any decision made on the direction of vB4 altogether.

Paul also said, he mentions the need to get vB4's PHP compatibility straight to the upper management, when he can and I am sure the support team do it too. But obviously, the upper management haven't taken him, the support team or the last few "vocal minority" customers complaining (or me, with a personal email to Bob himself) about the close to criminal stupidness of not fixing vB4's missing PHP compatibility seriously. As I and other customers have said before, this issue shouldn't even become one with a software like vB. Compatibility of newer PHP versions should be a part of the development and testing processes.

And the even more stupidness about all this is, some people tend to think IB is trying to leverage this PHP incompatibility to make customers buy vB5, and at the same time, vB5 simply isn't yet a viable product for customers using either vB3 or vB4 to move to, so what is the final result? Customers move away to products and companies that support them better.

It is so amazingly bad management of a product, it is almost unbelievable, because the people behind IB aren't stupid. I just think they have totally wrong motives. I mean, how can you sit there and not do what is a fairly simple release for the most major issue you have and still watch customers get more and more upset because of it and also move away from the product as "the last straw"? Simply put, it is idiotic.

Scott

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    Brandon, Big al and BamaStangGuy like this.