vBulletin 4 coding quality?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by cheat-master30, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

No I don't. I simply point out what I was told when it's relevant to do so. Otherwise I would appear to be spouting stuff without source. Nothing we discussed was anything that can't be found in the forums somewhere anyway.

Ray is not my "pal", he's the manager of a company I do business with, and I had a business dialogue with him, like many others do.

Nothing has offended me. My comments about the "dirt bag" remark are that it was, in my opinion, inappropriate for this forum.

2. Slinky

Slinky Addict

I have seen the use of actual four letter expletives here and far worse than "dirt bag" which is publishable in newspapers - but to you that is inappropriate for the "decorum." I am guessing that if the subject was Bernie Madoff and not a vBulletin employee, all would have been copacedic. No matter - I'll keep in mind the sources of my information and gauge reliability.

--------

Back to coding, it's difficult to say. My concernwas templating which has always been an awful nuisance. Those alpha testing are in a better position but it's usually opinion. I doubt it's that miserable. And I think Sphinx is generally available for other forums too like IB.

3. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I would think whether you pay for an upgrade or not, until you actually pay for the Vbulletin 4.0 software, the old license is still active. Even though they are trying to force people out of those licenses. Sadly, Bob Brisco is to busy to address these concerns of customers. Forcing us to upgrade into a different contract is sad, but probably legal.

4. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Not picking on you hotwheels, just using the post as an example.

We at AA have provided an area for discussion about the manner thet vB Solutions/IB conducts business. Continually bringing up the same issue in multiple areas only serves to fracture the discussion. While I realize we cannot really discuss the quality of the code until we see some code lets try and keep this thread to that topic please.

5. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    Please read your post #18.........I was in commenting on that. I have not let my license lap, it is still active....

So from your comment above, answers to others questions can't be answered in a post? I would think if you want me to stay on topic, you would follow the same steps and lead by example......Not picking on you either.

6. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I'll net get in a pissing match. I did try to answer a question post # 18 and then went on then to day how we still needed to wait till we have hands on experience before this thread could be anything besides yet another bashing of vB Solutions.

The comes a point where reshashing the same argument in different words become counterproductive. Again, I will point out that the spewing of hate that that the majority of threads about vBulletin has attracted is not helping anyone anymore. how many times do you need to point to the emperors new cloths to and tell everyone he's naked.

The argument that someone new to site might not see the literally 100's of posts covering the same topic does not hold water here. We are admins, we know how to use search, we know how to skim threads, we also know when the horse has been so beaten that the it can't be identified from the scorched earth it rests upon.

7. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    You are right and i apologize. I had no bad intent with my comment i originally posted in this thread, just stating what i thought applied to me in this post....nothing else.

8. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I don't know that much PHP but I have heard people who I'd trust to do work on my site say that installing vB on my site would increase my load over 3.8. Just putting that out there.

9. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    Re: vbulletin.org (day after tomorrow)

From what i read yesterday, the CMS uses 100+ queries............It has slowed sites trying to use it, waaaaaaaaaaay down

10. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    You are correct, just the cms adds over 100 queries......Which is making the new cms slow.

11. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

Does anyone have proof of the CMS adding such a number of queries? That's the topic here after all...

12. cheat-master30

For all we know, the vBulletin.org portal could use a greater number of queries and memory and what not. It's best they use something out of the box rather than custom for their uses.

13. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

Where did you read this? I find that hard to believe because it would make for a useless product for many folks using vB.

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

How would you know this?

15. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug

hang tight buddy........I will get you the info.

16. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    This is from their meeting last night:
    Kevin Sours:
    Some of that will depend on context. The CMS is heavily cached so the average query count should be below that. With a cold cache the number of queries can be over 100 when the page has a number of widgets.

17. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug

This is from their meeting last night:
    Kevin Sours:
    Some of that will depend on context. The CMS is heavily cached so the average query count should be below that. With a cold cache the number of queries can be over 100 when the page has a number of widgets

I found more on this discussion but didn't bookmark. I will continue to see if i can find the rest of the discussion on the query load.

Feldon30:
    The rumor is pretty solid now that the CMS is hopelessly inefficient. I've heard up to 100 MySQL queries on the homepage on an average site. That's the real concern, that all the new code in vB4 by the new team (who won't even say Hello on vB.com) could be complete tripe and we won't know until it ships and after they have our money.

18. cheat-master30

Oh, depending on number of widgets. Right, I heard that. Although still, I don't think that'd be a problem for .org, especially as it gives them an excuse to update their site.

19. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

Wow, that really changes the game. I honestly don't know if I will be able to use the CMS on most of my sites.

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

A barely modified CMS is using anywhere from 45-95 queries.