vBulletin 4.0 RC1

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by SimpleMan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. kev

kev Regular Member

Looks like I need to get a VB 4 test forum setup and see how this thing is going to work. I want to have some kind of idea what I'am getting into.

2. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

I set mine up at Beta 3. When I get time I go in and toy with it.

I already managed to get the header how I wanted it. :)

3. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Adept

I set it up at beta three I believe and now I'm on five. Just MHO, but I think the styling of the board will be easier once you get your head wrapped around things. Most people are changing too much right now because of the beta status. I believe its been said that previously created styles might not (will not?) work when vB 4.0 goes gold.

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Indeed. 3.8 styles will not work on vB 4. They will have to be re-done.

5. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Adept

RC2 is now out, and thus RC1 is skipped aside from being briefly on the vBulletin.com forum. I'm going to evaluate things before I make the comment, but am I the only one that finds this a bit odd?

6. Shelby

Shelby Regular Member

Well, reportedly they fixed 250 bugs in RC1 so they made RC2 and included the bug fixes. Basically they're pushing out RCs rapidly and doing a more incramental release. Supposedly RC3 will be released on Monday which I guess is okay.

I found 12 new bugs in RC2 myself and submitted them. Most of them are style related, a few are not. But it's interesting nevertheless.

7. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

Don't forget that they had already pre-released an RC1 to the alpha/beta team also. So, they may have taken that into consideration when they named this one.

8. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Something else which is interesting to compare on that. Try installing IPB3 3.0.5 (latest version) and running it's CSS Stylesheet through the "W3C CSS Validation" service, you'll get loads off errors reported back. While the IPB3 W3C Strict does validate on (most) pages, the CSS doesn't and IPB3 is a very mature product now compared to vBulletin 4.

Just to get things a little more in perspective here really. Showing you IPB3 is not perfect style wise either. :p

Example: W3C CSS Validator results for <{http://mrgtb.com/index.php|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}/> (CSS level 2.1)

9. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Nothing odd about it.

They updated vb.com to the next version after beta 5, and decided to call it RC 1 (which is what B 5 was planned to be). It wasnt made available to the public. They fixed a load of bugs and released the next version to the public (as RC 2). More bug fixes saw RC 3 again on vb.com only, and yet more fixes saw RC 4 released to everyone.

Given the announced timeline, they may squeeze a couple more in, if so, then probably in the same pattern (i.e. RC 5 = vb.com only, RC 6 = General).