VB4 Gold is out.

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Paul M, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

2. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

*Groans*

Okay. vbulletin solutions can certainly take the blame for this (partiallY0 but most of the blame lies within the members who harrasshed, vented, screamed to get the vb gold out ASAP.

When people want something yesterday they usually get a half baked product. And, this is exactly what they recieved in their stockings. I would have preferred vb to prolong the rc/beta stages for an additonal 6 months while they ironed out the bugs, finished up the key areas which still remain incomplete like the styling engine.

The people probably voting yes are the people who probably vented so much to get the release out asap and know nothing. Now they are find themselves with a product they can barely use. Heck, Even vbulletin solutions aren't using their cms (Don't tell me they have backend stuff that still needs migrated into the product) thousands of other sites have specialized scripts and code which and whom, are bigger than vbulletin solutions.

They got what they asked for in the time limit that allowed the developers to develope. Personally, I would have prolonged the whole development stage but hey this can't be common sense thinking from one person when they have a whole team of rocket scientists at their disposal.

3. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

Where are you getting your information? o.O

1. It is perfectly to set up a live vBulletin 4 board on an Active 3.x license. And continue to run the last 4.x version you have access to when that license expires.

2. There is no Serial Number, it's your customer number, the one you use to login to the Members Area.

3. The callhome code hasn't changed... like, at all. (I did find a possible bug while looking at the code though)

4. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

If that's truly the reason, they should not have bowed to such pressure. But perhaps they got a bit browbeaten by some of the previous "campaigns". I reckon they didn't realise the, erm, passionate nature of some of the customers when they took the company on.

That said, I still think it's more likely that, having made market statements that vb4 would be out by the end of the year, they felt they HAD to release on Dec 21st regardless of the condition of the software. If true, this is a wholly, wholly wrong decision.

Either way, I have lost a great deal of confidence in the product. The release is not as bad as it was looking like being at one point, but nowhere near as good as it could and SHOULD have been. Apart from all the smaller niggly bugs, claiming the CMS is Gold with 200 plus queries on it is about as bad as it gets.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

They should have never publicly announced or projected such a release date. See my post on vB.com for elaboration: vBulletin Community Forum

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

2 people like this.
  7. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I forgot I had an account over there might start posting. :)

8. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Not downloading, installing it. I had to enter my customer ID when I installed my vB months ago. I got my info from vB a long time ago.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

10. John

John Regular Member

All you will get is corporate sunshine up the arse, didn't you see his previous reply full of that?

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Oh, I know. I'm just trying to raise the tensions, get more customers to realize the problems, and piss Joe off. :D I'm really in the mood tonight. :P

12. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Yup, then when other comments come in that hold high validated concerns you get others who happily stoop below their arses trying to tell you that your just complaining.

It's a happily ever increasing circle that just goes round and around that never ends untill the next sack of words come rolling out of these (what can only be described) as automated robotic responses.

Good question huh. Go build a log cabin that holds up more merit and soul than the filth they post back. Yes I'm back to my old me.

13. John

John Regular Member

Well, I'm going to have to stop commenting otherwise I fear I will feel the heavy hand of the NDA I signed (that constrains me for a year from opening my mouth) coming down on me...and thats the last thing I need right now.

14. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Which is why I've tried to be careful with my comments.

15. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

How does the NDA affect either of your commenting on the product now that it's out in the wild? I can see withholding comment on the Alpha stuff but now that it's out in the wild let 'em have it. :D

16. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

No can do. The NDA is effective for 1 year from the date each of us signed it.

17. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

You can certainly comment on the final product though, that's not covered by the NDA, right?

18. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

not too much.

19. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

For the money VB4 is dirt cheap since gold by the ounce is about $1105.

:unhunh:

20. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

You have totally missed the point. Nobody here complains about the cost. :unhunh:

I don't know if it's a vb.com thing but i find that these vb.com advocates really read what they want to read into.