Thoughts on Fake Twitter Followers?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Brandon, Aug 27, 2012.

1. roo

roo Regular Member

Heh, I once did that with a personal Twitter account.
    Facebook is also a fine example. The more people you have on your friend list, the more people think that you must be someone semifamous person in your city. In fact many people just add random people for games, even if they didn't have any real friends..

2. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I dont have as many followers as I used to when i was doing direct feeds to my twitter from sites I was running.. But still 96% Good from that dealy.. But, yeah I never was big into twitter.. I always used it for SEO reason and to push updates from sites

ai.imgur.com_gWhQa.png

cpvr and Dan Hutter like this.
  3. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

You can't prevent this. I have 1% fake followers, 5% inactive followers, and 94% good followers.

4. johnthomas1433

johnthomas1433 Regular Member

You shall not be boosting your authority in front of the eyes of Google with mere follower count. They indeed have the data to cross reference your followers and determine whether they are indeed who they say they are, and not some fake accounts. But yes. You can make yourself look like some authoritative figure when someone else views your Twitter profile.

cpvr likes this.
  5. Doctor Tech

Doctor Tech Regular Member

Fake followers are useless, to be honest. Even on Facebook, fake people who like a page or a group will not be interested in keeping up-to-date with news from a site they never bothered to check out. Similarly, Twitter users should not get random people to follow their tweets! Nobody cares how many followers you have!

6. johnthomas1433

Its not to say that they are not without some use. Suppose you find some on Twitter who do post some moderately good tweets. Even if his account have 1000 followers, with all of them being fake accounts, you shall follow him. Because you dont know that its all fake accounts. But at the same time, when his account have only 10 followers, and even if they all are real, you shall think twice before you follow him.

7. ViperDove

ViperDove Regular Member

How accurate is this site how does it go about to get the result? If it is correct then it is a very good development for us.

8. jyri

jyri Regular Member

I believe it is correct. Sites like that have fairly simple algorithms. They check the number of tweets a user has made, and the number of their followers. It usually shows if they are a bot or not ;).

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Usually when one of my followers finds us someone is buying followers, they call them out. Heck, there was someone the other day that was called out and he had his account locked/private.

I'm grateful that I don't have any fake followers and my numbers are good. I want to go through my list and deleted a lot of inactives from my list.

It connects to your Twitter account, so I would say its pretty accurate.

10. johnthomas1433

Fake users are actually good when you are starting out with a Twitter account. You cant expect anyone to follow you if you have 0 followers, and your tweets are below par. But having a fake followers does surely make look your account less spammy and more authoritative.