These Advertisements

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Randy, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Gordie

Gordie Adept

I said in my post if you read it.

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Yep Mikey, exactly. Everytime you see that I dislike a color or gradient it means I'm promoting my unopened Graphic sites like a hooker on Las Vegas main street, AS SEEN IN CSI: LAS VEGAS. ;)

2 people like this.
  3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

So because they have it on their signature just like everyone else is promoting their sites on their signature? Are you touched in the head?

My signature has a link to a nutella forum, Nick has links promoting other hosting sites, etc.

People have their own site on the signature, and we have a couple of more hosting sites.

4. Gordie

Gordie Adept

Yeah I'm touched in the head - that's it.

Happy now? :)

You've fixed me all up now - I've succumbed to your logic.

I think I'll go to my control panel now, fill my signature full of self promoting links, banners etc. and then go create a thread complaining about all the advertising on the site.

I'll futher suggest that the webmaster downgrade his hosting service to save money and imply that perhaps he has money issues. Then I'll suggest to him that he's full of it and must make thousands of dollars off the google ads that he runs, that apparantly you all block out with ad blocking software.

I'm all good now, thanks for helping. :)

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Have you read the rules? I'll take it as a 'no'. I know you were just being an ass, but he's not breaking the signature rules, which you'd know if you read them.

^_^ Even if you tried to put 5 or 6 banners, you couldn't and you wouldn't have been able to, because YOU indeed would be breaking the guidelines, he isn't.

Baaaaaka. It's an admin forum and you whore yourself in these kind of forums since it's targeted for admins who might need a better host.

^_^/

6. Gordie

Gordie Adept

I don't recall my original response even being directed at you, so why are you responding to it? What I posted was directed at the original thread starter was it not?

Personally I found what was posted by the original thread starter towards Nick more than mildly offensive and unwarranted.

So I thought I'd post my words of support for Nick and the good job that he does here.

Perhaps you feel differently?

Why don't you speak up, instead of directing your efforts at taking little digs and personal shots at me.

I appreciate you pointing out the rules to me, but they had nothing to do with the point I was attempting to make, which you obviously missed.

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I wasn't trying nothing, I've told Nick already my feelings regarding some of the ways they're handling something, of course unlike some of you, I prefer to keep these kinds of issues private since it's an issue between me and him and not the whole wide interwebz world.

I found what you posted about the thread starter was mildly offensive and unwarranted.

Just like you felt the need to support Nick, which the way you took was...rude to say the least, I felt like I could post what ever I wanted as long as it is on topic and abiding the rules, don't ya' think?

8. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    You guys are all brutal to one another. Everyone needs to enjoy life a bit more and not worry so much about a random dude whining about ads on the internet.

4 people like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Thank you.

Congratulations, but what is your point? I've been running Google AdSense on a variety of my websites since 2007 and I've hardly made $200 in that time.
    Maybe I should be a little more intrusive with the advertisements. Oh wait; that's what you're complaining about.

Care to share some of that $1,000? Maybe then I won't have any need to put ads up. I never knew that putting up two ad units would result in the end of the world here. :ohi:

I don't know why you even decided to mention your revenue stream with AdSense. AA doesn't make money like that, so your situation doesn't pertain to us.

Thanks, but no thanks. There is more to a website than the advertisements it places.

Cool. I don't and never have used an ad blocker of any sort.

Thank you. :) Whether I deserve to make money or not is not the case; the fact of the matter is that I am not making any money.

We're in a situation that can greatly affect the future of AdminAddict in the long-term, and I'm doing my best to prevent any ill-repercussions.

Some of you who are whining like it's the end of the world are either 1) rich with a limitless supply of cash or 2) don't understand what goes into running a website.

'Got that right. Seriously guys - there is no need to argue about the most specific little technicality. At least not in public... that's what the PM system is for.

2 people like this.
  10. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Woah...Aren't the wast majority of members here admins or owners of other forums? Or do we admin's have groupies...

Ya'll should know some of the challenges first hand when it comes to monetizing a site. I'll be the first to admit I did say something about the ad in the top block but I also realize that there needs to be income as well. A few unobtrusive ad blocks that will probably earn more from the traffic than actual clicks is not the end of the world.

Maybe this whole vB issue has people a bit rankled and it's spilling to other areas. If these few ads are that annoying to so many of you then donate to AA and become a paid member. The more paid members the less need for additional sources of revenue when a site is just looking to cover costs and not be a profit center for it's owners. AA, to me, falls under the cover the costs umbrella.

11. techit

techit Addict

First Name:
    Prabh
    No issues with the ads i hardly notice em...

12. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

What are the choices in groupies? ;)

oh, and ditto.

I haz blurple color. :D so if i ever complain or whine, which would make a hypocrit, slap me silly please.

13. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i dont have a problem with the ads, even the ones imbetween posts, which i barely even notice.

14. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I just gloss over Google Ads. They are the noise that simply occurs between songs on the radio or the black buffer when television shows fade to commercials. They are fairly irrelevant. I'd be more willing to click on the ads in the left column if they were for something besides hosting (predominantly). However they are on the front page below the fold which hardly ever gets seen so...

15. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Rule #1: The webmaster needs to eat too.

16. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

People will always complain about advertisements, end of story. As a forum owner, I have to say that it really is rather sickening to hear these complaints. You want to run a forum, you go out there, spend the time and money necessary to do so, then come back in a few months when you fail.

Personally, I find the advertising and methods on AA VERY reasonable, and think that congratulations are in order. They're tactful, they're not everywhere, and they're 100% relative. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't have bought a link a couple months back, and I certainly wouldn't be looking to renew when that's up!!!

2 people like this.
  17. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I concur actually.

Nick et al,

I know I stated to have the ads not appear to me given my usergroup type, but considering what thwhiting's comments, I thought how about I be given the choice to see ads or not? I say this as a Premium Member. I don't know if that is possible to implement, kind of like a ugroup that is available to join?

hope that made sense.

edit: crap moved this post to the proper thread i think. I've lost track of the thread I was thinking of.... sorry

18. Zash

Zash Regular Member

The only thing I don't understand with the ads is the header ad. I mean - semi automatic rifles? That's not even closely related to forums.

19. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I crack up everytime I hit UnRead Posts and I see Ads for Drug Rehab! :o

(i think someone else said that too?)

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, I see them all the time, too. I'll see if I can filter that category of advertisements (unless it's one of those public service announcements...).