The State of vBulletin and What Needs to Change to Make vBulletin Viable Again

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by AWS, Jan 1, 2014.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    vBulletin has its challenges ahead. I don't think it is likely VB5 will ever be "trashed" - too much has been put into it.

I do hope if there is a VB6 that it is a fresh start- complete rewrite- rather than an attempt to build off VB5. Time will tell I guess.

PS- Hello All. :)

2. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Hey, your here and we can agree on something. Must be the software.:P

Scott

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    That is what many of us hope. It is good to see some of the staff think the same.

Good to have you back posting.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  4. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    I'm afraid even if vB6 were to be a complete rewrite, it won't be much use unless some things change internally over at vBulletin. It would definitely be interesting to see them get their ducks in order and actually put out a good product. vBulletin (the software) deserves better than this.

Big al and Autopilot like this.
  5. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I agree. The valid comments from VB customers do not seem to have penetrated the consciousness of the powers that be.

I have seen a SLIGHT easing off regarding the banning of customers for posting the truth but that is all.
    The main problems of the IB management not caring nor the VB support staff admitting they have blown it big time is still there.

Until the mindset and egos are changed then there will be no hope of VB making a successful comeback to the days when they were respected.

One would have thought that with SO MANY complaints being posted on many websites now, that notice would have been taken of the genuine concerns of VB customers.

But alas it appears to not be so. Deleting and altering posts and banning to hide the truth are the acts of cowards.
    Until this is put right then dissatisfaction will continue.

6. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

I doubt many of the complaints actually reach the correct people. I don't think they are paying attention, or don't care, or just cant see their way to making drastic changes since they would be unable to explain the waste of money vB5 development has been. I believe vB5 is basically dead already, and IB is tossing good money after bad.

IMO... Until that person or persons is removed from all control and influence with vB, little will change. Once that person (or people) is removed, then someone new has to be selected, and that person will have to understand the forum world and have the freedom to consult with a number of forum owners as to what vb6 should look like as well as the budget and development time to make it work correctly.

In the end, my suspicion is that the only way this will happen is if IB sells vB off.

7. Big al

Big al Regular Member

@Joeychgo, I totally agree, you have made some valid points. :agreed:

I find it amazing that so many customers can clearly see what is needed, but IB/VB staff carry on blindly running towards the edge of the cliff.

8. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

Well, I don't like to use the term "VB Staff" - because I believe only the minority are carrying on blindly toward the cliff. Minority may be an overstatement. I believe it primarily comes down to just 1 or 2 people who lead vB.

9. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Yes I think the main thrust of the discontent must be laid at the feet of the IB management or those who make the final decisions.

They ultimately decide the direction of Vb. However they have not directed the Vb support staff to take the actions they have and to defame customers, (if I remember correctly some VB staff guys have said as much)

To accept pay or other benefits for being a VB staff member also puts an obligation upon them to act in a respectful and responsible manner to the customers who ultimately pay their wages.

A good admin, mod or person in authority should act at all times with respect to customers and members, to vilify them or take unilateral action and abuse their power against a customer whose only crime is to ask for more information, is abhorrent to decent members. And is more than likely resulting in the widespread posts against them.

As far as valid members are concerned, to cop abuse for posting valid comments only shows that the staff are not worthy to be in the position they occupy.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I agree. I would be interested to know who that minority is. Who is actually responsible for destroying the reputation of what was not so long ago the market leader by quite some margin. I find it hard to believe that anyone in business could be that incompetent. It's not as if vBulletin as a product was a million miles away from Internet Brand's area of operation. Quite the opposite in fact.

Big al likes this.
  11. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

Well, my understanding is that John McGanty ([email protected]) runs the day to day, and only answers to Brisco. Brisco oversees all of IB and pays little attention to vBulletin, leaving it all on McGanty's hands, from what I've come to understand.

As far as staff Al.... I really don't blame them for being a bit testy. They have been personally attacked and berated by people for stuff that is out of their control. Eventually, all of us would get testy.

Al, really, try to put yourself in their shoes. I'm not excusing the behavior, just saying its understandable IMO.

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

Thanks. I emailed McGanty about a year ago after I'd seen he'd been active in JIRA. I didn't receive a reply though.

Big al likes this.
  13. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

He doesn't answer me either. He prefers you post to the vb forums, I assume because its easier for him to ignore.

Big al likes this.
  14. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I agree that the direction and policy of VB may be out of their control, but them personally banning, Deleting and denigrating customers for asking valid questions is entirely their doing. I cannot see IB management ordering them to act this way to customers.
    Calling customers "trolls" is not at the behest of IB management I would think.

This is understandable, and it would make sense for them to correct their attitude and mistakes to correct the situation.

The banned members should be re-instated and apologies made for the actions of staff who abused their power so badly.
    Action should be taken to insure that the staff members concerned are disciplined and assurances given that they will not act like power drunk dictators again. False accusations of "trolling" etc should be publicly withdrawn and apologies made.

The staff have only themselves to blame for their actions and abuse of customers/members.
    Most of the comments against them are fully justified and are a natural result of their wrongful actions.

When they have done the right thing by customers they have received pats on the back, so it is only right that when they do the wrong thing they get the kicks up the rear.

15. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

I've seen some of the comments made by some of those who have been banned, and I would have banned them also. I've seen customers called trolls and know what, many times they have been trolls. In fact, I think if some of those "customers" spent half the energy promoting their forums they would be hugely successful.

I'm not saying the staff has always behaved the best, but I don't think they are evil either. Maybe I'm biased because I haven't had any real problems with them. Maybe its just because I see them as human beings and stuck between a rock and a hard place. (between pissed off customers and 'could care less' management)

Reality is, anytime I see a thread about a vB problem, there are trolls who come running just to bash the company, staff and software. Nothing seems to make some of them happy. Its even funnier to me when I then look at the site in their sig and its a Xenforo site.

AWS and BirdOPrey5 like this.
  16. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Are you just happening to be referring to me?

Scott

17. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

No Scott...

18. VICE

VICE Regular Member

IB must learn from DO lesson.
    DO bullshit its way after it was found that it cut corners and never really scrub destroyed droplets.
    The community gave DO hell until they apologized profusely.

I would like to see that happening with vB5.
    But I guess I'd best watch out for flying pigs or sharknado rather than hoping for any apology and commitment from IB.

Big al likes this.
  19. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Exciting news? Is it true or just a rumour that, just as they called VB5: VB5connect, they will be launching VB6 also with a new title. That more accurately describes the sincerity of VB management and staff.
    Lets all look forward to the exciting totally advanced all new:

"VB6Bugger Off" :ROFL:

20. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

You bumped an almost two month old thread for that?