The Burning Question

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by AWS, May 13, 2012.

1. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I'm not bashing XenForo, just telling you what I think. I'm entitled to my own opinion, and that's what I think. No bashing involved at all.

I just don't buy into what I've seen today, simple as.

How fast you forget what Brogan said, only days ago. :rolleyes:

2. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I haven't forgotten anything. It's obvious that all has not been well, and still isn't.

3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well anyway, I've said what I think. I bet many others feel the same way on XenForo and after reading they can't even give a new release date. They'll move on away to IPB or back to vBulletin. It's just not good enough, it won't be for many!

4. iTuN3R

iTuN3R Regular Member

I won't expect anything for next few months atleast .

2 people like this.
  5. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

You are probably right. I haven't changed any of my views. I think their recent treatment of supportive customers has been appalling.

Today's announcements probably buy them some breathing space, a month or two perhaps. I just don't see why they couldn't have said the same thing earlier.

6. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

2 people like this.
  7. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I'm betting over the next few days you'll see people start to question why they can't give an estimated date, when they was able to give June before as a target date they was aiming for before even starting work on XF 1.2. So if KAM has been working hard on XenForo 1.2 for 2-3 months since, it should actually be much easier now to give a pretty accurate (estimated) target date - yet they've given none. Does that not seem a little strange to you, but very convenient for them to now have no dates put on the table anymore?

If they can't even say 1 month from now it will be ready, then it's pretty obvious they knew 4 weeks ago or longer, there was no way it was going to be ready for June and said nothing keeping quiet. And that's missing the planned June schedule by a full month and they can't even commit to that, or even 2 months past June.

2 people like this.
  8. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Release dates do slip.

But now you really are firmly into familiar Kier territory. This is like vB3 all over again. It could be a year or more now, with very little said in between.

Many on XenForo today were not around in those days. I was. Some people even gave up believing vB3 would ever be released. What was the total beta/RC phase? 18 months? Might have been more. Total development time was many years but that wasn't the problem, it was the long periods of TOTAL silence.

Sound familiar?

It didn't cause a riot though because they were just the developers. There were other staff like Wayne and Steve knocking around, to handle the comms side of things. that's not the case at XenForo. They do have Ashley but he's not really a "public facing" type, he's the business manager.

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Everyone must remember that it took 2 and 1/2 years for vbulletin 3 to be released under Kiers watch. Don't expect anything too soon.

4 people like this.
  10. John

John Regular Member

I have definite thoughts about what I think is going on and nothing about them has changed. In fact, with the release of 1.1.3 today, my thoughts have just become further refined. I won't be saying anything more on this topic other than the things I stated the other day over at XF.com still apply.

11. GTB

GTB Regular Member

If being frank, and I don't mean the man! After what Brogan said (or didn't say), but still giving the impression something was coming off. I do get the feeling this is nothing more than a smoke-screen, with them removing XF 1.2 dates out the equation to suit them until whatever happens.

That's the feeling I have, and if you take close note from today. They've still not indicated XenForo 1.2 is coming, if anything they've done the complete opposite by removing any estimated dates of arrival. And here is the back-track on it for me.

As per usual, they box clever in not saying it is coming for sure, instead just "when we determine". Which could never happen in layman's terms, they have a rather sneaky way in how they tend to word things.

12. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Gary they did say in another post that the release of 1.2 has been postponed.
    That leads me to believe that it is coming, but they have had to postpone the release date.

That's my take on it.

2 people like this.
  13. GTB

GTB Regular Member

No problem, each is entitled to their own view. I'm not trying to force mine on anyone else, just saying what I personally think.

14. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

John, I know we differ in opinion... But im sorry you have been dissappointed by all this.

4 people like this.
  15. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

Until...............?????

16. iTuN3R

iTuN3R Regular Member

Well interesting how those folks wanted to wait till 1.2 release to renew their license will be forced to renew now with slight touch with security issue fix /Eu Cookie law implemented and so on .... haha !

17. CallieJo

CallieJo Regular Member

First Name:
    CallieJo
    I remember those vb3.x days and how everything seemed to always drag on and on. Seems like XF is slipping into the same.

From the beginning, many believed that development would be steadily catching up with other platforms and become something even greater. After all, XF was built in a short internet time frame.

I doubt that XF will ever stop developing unless it's directly related to inside issues between KAM or the lawsuit outcome. But, I do have doubts that XF will ever catch up with VB & IPB features in the next few years.

The excuses about pre-IB days were blamed on the owner. The poor developers had no real say and their hands were tied.

Unfortunately, I can't help but remember something I think Wayne said. It had to do with how the suggestions forum had always been ignored pre-IB.

It's hilarious because we all brought over all those suggestions and were met with the developers replying on many of them.

All the excitement and hype had already started to dwindle a lot before the "Silence" we speak of now. Especially when a select group of people started shooting down all suggestions made. It's irritating when people jump on all suggestions saying they aren't needed (when they ARE for many of us suggesting) and telling people to get a third party developer for things already included in other platforms. It gets tiresome arguing with those people who just sit around waiting to pounce on the next suggestion without any consideration to those making the suggestions.

What really set me off is when they began discussing Branding Free prices. All of those who would NEVER buy it were helping the price go up. Those of us that would buy it would have to pay a high price on a forum only solution thanks to them.

I wasn't even going to purchase XF because of the fanboys making me sick after a while, those arguing XF shouldn't include any of the suggestions made, the Branding Free price discussion, and the worry about the lawsuit. Infact, the only reason why I did purchase a copy (and pricey Branding Free option) long after the release was because: 1) I felt bad for Kier after hearing he was having personal issues because of the lawsuit. 2) I initially said I would and I don't like to go back on my word if at all possible.

Anyways, here I sit with a Branding Free license of XF. I even tried to use it. But, all the praises about it are a bit laughable in some regards (no offense intended). I won't go into all the details, but I will say that it's not possible for me to use it as it is at this time.

For me, I will sit on the license until the day comes that I can think of a way to use it and/or when it can even compare to VB or IPB in features and then some.

BTW - These are my personal honest thoughts. Not intended to stir anything up. I just needed a place to vent...and here it is. Nothing more. I don't really give a crap if my personal opinions piss anyone off.

18. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

You mean the same security fix some of them were just ridiculing vBulletin for having?

19. iTuN3R

iTuN3R Regular Member

Well i guess you missed the part what Kier mentioned about security issue.

20. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

Kier saying something, and the fanbois saying something are 2 different things....