So who did it, and preordered!

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by David, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Yes, there is no such thing as a Leased license under the 4.0 License.

-----------

As for coupons and discounts, these will occur in the future. They won't be as steep as upgrading to the Suite with an active license now but there will be discounts and coupons in the future.

2 people like this.
  2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Thanks for that Wayne, a much faster response than emailing sales :D

3. tech

tech Regular Member

i HAVE to upgrade to the suite because im on a LEASED license..

4. fos

fos Newcomer

I upgraded both of my licenses to vB Suite. I don't like strict deadline but that is the way it is. I have also purchased an Invision Board suite. It will take me a while to learn how to modify and manage that software. You do get answers much faster at IB. The full staff takes on an active support role there.

In the end, I still prefer vBulletin. It was worth the upgrade.

For me, it is mostly a hobby. If I HAD to do it eight hours a day, it would become a job. Then the challenges would become problems and headaches, not a pleasurable passtime.

Jeff

5. banger

banger Addict

Jeff... I'm glad to work with you in this dual role. We're going to run vBulletin only where necessary and are actually excited to transition some of our forums to Invision Power Board. There are a number of areas where the direction is so much more focused and I'm looking forward to leapfrogging others while they wait ever so patiently for the vBulletin product to eventually be released. The other plus is all the new developers coming to the site that will add to the presence and extensibility of that product.

6. Veccy 150

Veccy 150 Newcomer

First Name:
    Craig
    Nope and not going to either, i am going to stick with 3.8.

7. Aquanox

Aquanox Regular Member

I went crazy and preordered the VB 4.0 Suite. I was sold by the Portal / Forum / Blog integration, publicity management and easy and cool user interface.

I'm a bit worried now though since the license starts running from the day I've downloaded 3.8 (available for download after pre-order) and not from the day VB 4 is actually available, which is the product I was interested in from start.

My website is an Xbox dedicated forum and a Portal interface, blogs and all paraphernalia makes all sense to me. I hope it's all they promise to us and that it gets released soon enough.

Currently I'm using a phpbb3 forum, which I will most likely migrate but am not really happy with how tedious is to install mods on it and how limited/unsecure phpbb is in comparison.

8. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    vB Solutions has noted this is still a bug on their end and to ignore the dates.

See http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?321790-vB4-and-vB4-Expiration-Dates

9. GTB

GTB Regular Member

No I have not, and won't be buying vBulletin again. But for a large number of reasons! For me this has nothing to do with "Who is best" - IPB or vBulletin, but the pricing structure Internet Brands have introduced instead, and also what I personally think will come in the future to charge you again sooner than you think right now. They have priced vBulletin out my reach, even though I can still afford to buy it. I just don't see value for money anymore to be honest, mainly because forums are so difficult to get off the ground, and to pay such huge sums of money to try and do it - is a no, no today.

Especially when you also have other good free forum software increasing ten-fold like the new SMF 2.0 out soon. Which means you can try and get a forum off the ground using that, and if it fails your nothing out of pocket.

There are also other reasons as well which has nothing to with "IPB, vBulletin, or Internet Brands". Just a personal choice of the software I enjoying using now instead of forum software.

10. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

A good reason to start a forum with a good FREE forum software.If it does take off and gain many members,then you could convert to IPB, or vBULLETIN,when it is the right time to do so,to justify the cost of the license.

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

=D I started with MyBB and moved to vB, >< the vB ACP is so alien for me.

12. Yoshi

Yoshi Regular Member

I will be in a couple of days.

13. Aquanox

Aquanox Regular Member

Thank you, I was a bit confused about it.

I know this might've been asked a million times but would you explain briefly the licensing system for VB Suite 4.0? I have paid $235 already. What would be next?

14. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    According to vB there are no other costs to them until 5.0 is released.

Now we all just sit on our hands and wait for 4.0 to be released to us.

15. Aquanox

Aquanox Regular Member

Thank you for the answer.

I'm actually pretty excited about it. I just hope it doesn't take too long to get released. I have some pretty cool BBCodes added to my site and with the addition of Portal Functionality and a cool design, it might end up being a pretty decent website for my purposes.

16. Rasbelin

Rasbelin Newcomer

Went postal and not just updated one of my licenses to the PS, but also shelled out money on the branding free option. :D

Not exactly a pleasure to prop up IB with very little real information on what's to come, but if nothing else, I see it as a right to run 3.x until doomsday and not to give any copyright credits to IB (ol' good Jelsoft was at least worth it). That being the worst case scenario. If things turn out more positive, I have a few expired licenses left that can be resurrected as vBulletin Forum licenses.

My only condition for upgrading one license was that they would respond to the revolt by making at least something tangible public. Even just a working design demo would have satisfied me. Now I don't feel too badly treated, altough I still feel the forum upgrade should be available now and that presale timeframe should be more flexible.

The biggest problem wasn't to shell out 130$, but the fear about the future. Now that I'm locked for the PS, despite I have no need for blogs (my users use Facebook and Blogger for such type of social networking) or a CMS. A fully featured gallery would have made me happy, but it seems I can't get everything. Now the problem is that in the future I can't upgrade just to use the forum component, but I have to pay for the whole crap. And there's no guarantee about when the next milking will take place and what the price tag will be then for certain.

If I could've chosen, I would've rather paid 80-100$ a year for the old licensing model, because if we get major overhauls every 18 months or so, it would've still cost around the same as the new model.

17. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Just upgraded three of my six licenses.

The other three I'll need to pay full price closer to when they expire, but then again, I'll have more expendable money by then, anyway.

Yes, mistakes were made, but I'm sick of all the bashing.

18. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Alot of it is constructive critism and real concerns which should not be mistaking for bashing.

19. banger

banger Addict

Perfectly stated. What vBulletin did was outrageous and breaks rank with generally accepted business practices. People are looking at consumer fraud statutes not to bash but because there is the honest belief that this is what happened. How would you feel if a company charged you $180 per license and told you the licensing and renewal terms KNOWING that these would change shortly and that the customer would have to pay another $130 on top of that within 14 days? You would tell this friend/colleague to just stay far away from you.

As I have learned and seen too many times in business and relationships, if someone is capable of abusing you once, they will very likely do it again given the opportunity. I hear all of these prospective release dates, new version dates, etc. and I roll my eyes knowing that everyone wants to believe that this executive vBulletin team could not have the audacity to release bug ridden crap too early, release version 5 earlier in order to make revenue numbers, etc. As the DA said, if he abused you that badly once, why are you making so many excuses it isn't going to happen again? And why is it that nobody at vBulletin will make any promise as to the earliest or latest release dates? Because they want the leeway to do whatever it is they want to do legally and you suckers will just have to accept that the impossible can happen.

20. oldlock

oldlock Newcomer

I did, three licences to Suite, 1 new forum only. Not inexpensive but cheaper to do it now rather than later.