So who did it, and preordered!

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by David, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    I can't find the upgrade to the suite for $130 anywhere on the site - is the upgrade not available for purchase yet, or is it just me? I've looked in the members area etc but it always brings me back to buying a 'new' licence.

2. tech

tech Regular Member

Upgrading Next Week or tomorrow, not sure..

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Go to vBulletin.com, click "Customer Login" at the top-right, login, go to make a new purchase, choose "upgrade existing", and the discount will be taken from the shopping cart.

4. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    Ah, that was the problem - I was going to members.vbulletin.com. It didn't work in Safari, either.

Thanks Nick!

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

x.x So that's why....

6. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    I'll probably purchase the upgrade, but I won't upgrade until well into developement. Especially considering the mods on my boards won't work. So I really will pre-order.

7. David

David Regular Member

Preodering is definently the way to go if you know at any time you'll want to upgrade. The savings are a good deal

8. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Quite a few people followed this logic despite the uproar on the forum. Sales are at an all-time high. Not just upgrades but sales of new Suite and Forum licenses as well. Even some of the people complaining on the forums have already purchased the Suite upgrade.

9. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Honestly I do not see how they could have been more logical about the situation. The suite upgrade is an uber good deal, although a small minority will loose some $ because of the timing of when they bought.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken:
    people would buy the forum software and use it until it broke because of a security issue, then pay $60 to get the latest download. From vB point of view that made no sense.

The thing I keep asking myself is, does it make any sense at all long term to have the forums only available for sale? I can see that from a marketing viewpoint, not sure about the maintenance or customer support issues.

10. The Voice

The Voice Addict

First Name:
    Anisha
  11. David

David Regular Member

I agree they did a good job with almost everything. The only aspect I didn't like was forking out the cash, before a beta was even available. So I slept on it, and said I dont plan to go to another forum anytime soon, and I need a decent CMS built in, and it was pretty much a no brainer at that point.

I think people who are waiting, will be those who are complaining again when its released and not another sale.

12. Wayne Luke

The majority of customers kept their licenses active and renewed on or before their expiration date. Less than 30% of customers let their licenses expire for more than 30 days at any given time.

Future emphasis will be on the Suite product but the Forums only will still be around for the foreseeable future. Chances are though that the Suite will outsell the Forums quite quickly.

13. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

I don't know what to do and I am scared and mad.

But no, I have not given them any more money yet.

14. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I'm about to.

I need to come up with the money for six licenses, and at this point it makes WAY more sense to spend the $130 for the Suite for each rather than $175 (volume discount) for just the forums.

I just need a check to come in on time...

15. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Wayne,

Is there any way to tell us what's up with the greyed out Forums-only upgrade? Will there be a sale on that, too?

I understand if you can't say.

Thanks!

16. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'm planning to pre-order the upgrade to the suite for one site. (I'd like to have a few sites using the suite, but it's just too expensive to upgrade all the sites I'd like to. Most are going to have to stay as 3.8, because I'd prefer to eat on a regular basis.) :)

I'm going to wait to implement the upgrade until certain mods are ported over though; my members would probably riot if they didn't have their awards, for example.

17. LissaE

LissaE Newcomer

First Name:
    Lissa
    Thanx lol for better or worse...it fits me like a glove LOL

18. Wayne Luke

The forum only will not have discounted pricing. The Suite is seen as the premiere product and the way forward. Online Communication is about more than forums and the Suite provides the foundation for that. There should be a Vision Statement posted early next week. We had hoped to get it online Friday but didn't want it live over the weekend without the IB CEO, CTO, and VP of development available to answer any questions staff might have. Which of course allows staff to in turn to answer your questions.

Anyway, I set down with Bob Brisco for a while last week and we talked about where he thinks vBulletin needs to go and that will be part of the statement. I also set down with Don Kuramura and we talked about future products, plugging them into the suite and building something into the CMS that is quite "WOW" actually. Hopefully we'll have more on that soon.

19. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

ah yes, just like my signature ;)

20. David

David Regular Member

Awesome news right there! I can't wait to see what exactly is planned and how it will all play out.