Really don't know what to do about vB 4

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Nick, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    I agree, it's the content that really makes the site anyway and AA is not lacking in that department.

I disagree with this. Waiting to see how the software develops is a crucial factor in deciding whether to make the switch or not IMO. Just because this is an admin site does not mean they have to stay with the most current software. Again, it's the content submitted by users that make the site.

Nick: There is no rush and absolutely nothing wrong with staying with 3.8 for the foreseeable future until you can decide what's best for AA. For myself I come here for the content as mentioned and the atmosphere. To me the good atmosphere determines how active I am on a site. If I have to use a site with bad atmosphere because they have the information I need, then I usually get what I need and leave never posting. With great content and a great atmosphere you get long-term members that will stay no matter what software you ultimately decide to use. ;)

2. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I think you misunderstand what david said. He wasn't saying not to watch. Of course your going to watch and see how the software developed but nick shouldn't hold off on any plans he had prior to vb4.0 and commence in building with the current 3 series line and advance on this untill the day nick is happy and ready to make the upgrade.

Maybe I just misunderstood the both of you.

3. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    That makes since, but that is not how I read his post. My apologies if I read it wrong. I agree though, if staying with 3.8 for the foreseeable future you should continue with the plans you had to improve upon it.

4. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

How about this example?

The Front Page at RN

RN forum

5. p4guru

p4guru Addict

nice not bad design i like it more if it was on a vB forum haha

Only the 1st and 3rd point are concerns that are only really up to you do decide on. I'm sure after getting to know vB4 you could customize the design to look and function more like 3.8.x forum - yes it will involve not jumping straight into a live forum upgrade to 4.x but installing test 4.x forum and slowly customising it to your perceived member's liking (I plan to do it this way myself - also gives me an opportunity to learn the ropes of 4.x system with a target goal in mind).

For 2nd point, don't let any or all underlying emotions dictate your decision making. Stick to facts that are relevant to your situation.

As to direction of IB and it's policies and how it's handled the situation, honestly when it comes down to it, the product is what matters for me personally. So many instances of consumer products with bad support but good products. I'd still buy a good product if support wasn't that great compared to good support but a not up to my expected standard product. One example for me is computer motherboards, any day of the week i'd opt to by an Asus motherboard over brands like MSI, Intel etc even if Asus are know for poor tech support.

The one concern for me is how well will the vB 4 CMS handle as well as the new improved search Part 1 vB4mance: Helping communities grow, performance data model changes in vB 4.0 - Blogs - vBulletin Community Forum. But since I'm taking the local/test install and slowly learn approach, I can afford time to wait and see. Honestly, is it really that big a deal ? If vB4 doesn't work out, just switch to other forum software when the time comes :)

The other 2 concerns hold true for migrating from vB to IPB as well - either choice involves relearning things (more so for IPS than vB4 if you never used IPB) and involve forking out additional $$$.

For me personally i'm on adminaddicts and big part is that you're using vBulletin forum software ;)

just my 2.5 cents :D

6. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

My view is, buy the $160 license while it's on, theb bide your time. AT the very least it allows you to run 3.8 indefinitely. You can then look into vB4 after Gold, or wgenever you like. This is what I'm doing.

Since Invision would be a learning curve anyway, if you want to move on from 3.8 you will have that learning curve one way or the other. At least SOME things are still familiar in vB4! Whereas in Invision NOTHING will be.

7. David

David Regular Member

Good thing we have Shelly to translate things!

8. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    This explains some rather odd things that occurred over the weekend.

9. John

John Regular Member

Nick, I don't see why anyone would judge it a mistake to switch from vB to IPB. If you think $160 is better spent on IPB I say go for it...you won't be the only one making that decision and it may end up being a very wise one for this site in the long run ;) I can tell you this, I have 4 licenses and only one is 4.0. The other 3 will not be getting upgraded and the one I have I wouldn't have it had it not been given to me :eek:

10. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Given to you? Who did you "get rid of". :eek:

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Nick,

I did not see this spelled out but I think what you said is AA is running on a leased license, and you did not specify when it expires.

Regardless, if it were me I'd upgrade this site to v4 suite while the sale is on to get ticket support for the other 2 sites, and access to all future updates of v3. You can always sell that license when you have no use for it later. You will get some amount of $ for it. If you missed the sale there will be another one at some point.

Then I would consider how strong of a political statement you want to make, and probably switch AA to IPB.

To fund these types of things I'd explain to AA members that funding for AA software is an issue, and Premium Members will have more of a voice on AA, and all are welcome to become Premium Members. Of course many will disagree with that suggestion.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

No way; none of my sites are on leased licenses.

Ticket support isn't very important to me, to be honest. I've opened probably 5 tickets in my two years of using vBulletin. Most of them were closer to long ago than recently.
    I don't really want to make such an important decision on the basis of making a political statement. It reminds me of starting a new forum just to spite another one; as we know, those fail 90% of the time. (Mark B's forum is an exception :P)
    I really don't want to "fund raise" until/unless it is completely, absolutely necessary. I'm pretty sure I am going to stick with 3.8 now and worry about upgrading or converting at a later date. I don't like making rash decisions, and that's just what IB wants us to do: they want us to panic, not have time to think things over, so they expect that we will just buy the upgrade "to be safe". Not me. :cool:

2 people like this.
  13. Lucas

Lucas Addict

First Name:
    Lucas
    I doubt anyone that has seen what they have recently done will try "to be safe" with them. :frown:

14. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

How about any benefit from just keeping a test board running?

This would serve for you and your staff to be current with what is going on with vB4, you can comment directly on other admin issues, share your own insights, etc.

Possibly only provide a select set of users access for experience, access, testing, etc. Kind of like an R&D play ground. That would seem to have more value of the Suite at this point.

If you've already stated your planning on something like this already, then ignore me. :)

15. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Other downsides include the fact that you use VBSEO which may/will work differently with VB4. And VB's own SEO Urls may be enough, but they too are different from the way you've setup VBSEO.

That's a biggy IMO. And it's why I'm staying put on existing forums, though considering it for newer ones.

I think VB have released 4 late (though still ahead of when it should have been released) and that we need to wait another 12 months to find some reasons as to why to step up to their bill and consider moving over, to what in my opinion, is a totally different software package with totally different buying terms and totally different support, and you'll need lots of support, so that's important too.

I'm with you Nick. I'm in two minds.

16. John

John Regular Member

It was a "benefit" of being an Alpha tester ;)

17. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I was told the same by other alpha testers in the early alpha stages. Still, free is better than nothing.

Are you still developing for vbulletin john?

18. John

John Regular Member

Not much developing of anything these days actually...I have started converting a rather complex skin over to 4.0 so that I could get an idea of what the "worst" I would face would be like and so far my "fears" have been validated :eek:

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Actually vBSEO will be completely compatible with vB 4. They have made that very clear on the vBSEO forums, so I have absolutely no worries there. It would be a downside to leave vBulletin and stop using vBSEO.

20. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    And this is why I like you as a person so much. I was told the skinning for vB4 was a cinch, master skinner John says otherwise, I'll believe him.