"Post Whores"

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Tom, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs Novice

First Name:
    Allen
    Well, I knew that he was just posting to increase post count. So I decided that he needed 50 practice posts before they would start to count. Kinda funny really, was not really done for any real reason.

2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I love being a post whore. Why is that? I love to be active.

3. paulh

paulh Novice

a Yorkshire saying "when there is nothing left to say some fool will come along and say it". Post whores (also called "me too's") are a modern day version of that. Whether it is being active or not is irrelevant. Nobody in their right mind wants to be associated with fools and yes get too much of it and you will lose members.

Cut & Paste kiddies are much the same.

4. Graeme

Graeme Newcomer

First Name:
    Graeme
    I'm sorry if I'm missing the point (I am new to forum admin), but why do these "post whores" want to increase thier post count so much? Do they gain anything in return?

5. Tom

Tom Regular Member

A higher rank, reputation, etc - most of all, they post to increase their post count. Then, you have the legitimate ones who post whore because they feel the content is missing and the posts can be helpful.

6. PBNJ

PBNJ Regular Member

Sometimes members go on posting sprees, it's all good and usually dies in a couple days.

The ones I'm not a fan of are the self promoters. They've been around a long time, but eventually they fizzle out and only make a post when it's to promote themselves.

-Raymond

7. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

That's what forums is all about, people are there to post, why get annoyed and/or angry about people posting, or posting a lot in your words?

I don't see why or I can't think of any reason I would get annoyed at someone for "posting too much" on my forum... I would be glad to have a 'Post Whore' or two or a few on my forum, if they keep with-in the rules of course!

8. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

We don't show their post counts anywhere except on their blog profile. Not being able to see a count keeps their egos under control.

9. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i dont mind post whores.....think i did a bit of that when i was on post 9900 and wanted to be the first to get to 10000 on another forum, but i made sure all my posts were well thought out and not spam like.

if someone keeps posting very short posts of just "lol" or :) just to raise their post count i will delete the posts, and pm them telling them to only reply when they could think of something that is relevant to the conversation.

10. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

BQ, you have revived alot a topics I have not seen! lol

I'm admittedly the post whore on my site. Primarily for the same reasons as most of you admins -- informing, describing, interacting, organizing -- rinse and repeat.

Other than that, not much in terms of moderating post whores. I didn't setup any increased privs based on post count. The only thing I did was actually solicit User Titles for various Post Count levels. It was actually quite fun...as it got ppl involved and thought a little bit about that (meaningful or less) title.

In general I think this type of activity is really dependent on you community and overall tone...as it relates to managing the said whore. Sometimes it actually can spur other interesting convos.....