Photoshop

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by TVDinner, Jan 30, 2008.

1. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    I abhor PhotoShop - that steep learning curve that Peggy mentioned is just a bit of a turnoff to me - I couldn't get the hang of it and didn't have the patience to study it...

I like PhotoImpact by Ulead!

Jacquii.

2. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I think the problem is that so many people distribute images, themes and layouts as PSD so much that its almost a necessity to have something that can read them. Very few programs actually support PSD though that Adobe has a de facto monopoly.

3. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Jacquii informed me a while ago that her programs supports PSD. But Photoshop is the industry standard, I distribute PSD's and PS ensures file compatibility with different versions.

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Exactly. I just truly do not have the time to sit down and study Photoshop. I really am a very quick study, and can usually learn an image editing software very quickly. There's just too much to photoshop to learn. I've had no problem whatsoever grasping any other software I've got.

Fireworks 8 supports PSD's so I don't have any issues with those.

5. Wayne Luke

I would hope so since its an Adobe program.

6. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Fireworks was Macromedia's baby, til Adobe bought them out.

7. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Check out the GIMP (GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program) it's free, almost as powerful as photoshop, doesn't have to steep of a learning curve and reads/saves PSDs. :)

8. Wayne Luke

I have The Gimp. Not a fan but it does some of what I want to do. Mostly I just use available stuff either free or from iStockphoto. If I really need to, than I will hire someone.

9. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I also have the Gimp. But, I don't use it much. When I have a graphical need, I usually ask and have someone create it for me. Then, I give them some money. Seems to work for both parties involved :D

10. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I used to love The GIMP. I haven't used it in years, but it was a good free alternative especially for those PSD files.

11. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I've heard Paint.NET is better than GIMP and has far more plugins for it. Definitely something to check out. :)

12. Imperial

Imperial Adept

I'm not a big fan of Photoshop, but I boot it up whenever I need to edit a PSD file. My personal favorite has always been Fireworks, just closer to the images that I work with on a regular basis. Adobe products do overlap so I find that I can use Fireworks for just about all my web activities while leaving PS for photos or high resolution files. I find Fireworks is more user friendly overall, plus I've used it regularly the past 6-7 years :D

13. Wayne Luke

I love Paint.net. Its one of the easiest graphics applications that I have ever used and really seems to do quite a bit for a free application.

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I think we have a few threads floating around here discussing the GIMP and Paint.net. But I'll post my thoughts again anyways.

I tried the GIMP - on multiple occasions, actually - and I couldn't deal with it either time. It just seemed so cluttered and difficult to figure out.

I love Paint.NET, too. I've been using it for over a year now and like Wayne Said, it does quite a bit more than you'd expect. Boss, you mentioned plugins for Paint.NET - I never even knew they have plugins, so I'm definitely going to have to check that out. :)

15. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Yeah, I didn't know they had plugins until a few kids on a gaming forum I'm on mentioned it. I had to ask one particular teenager, since he's become a whiz with graphics and he explained that there are different plugins, just like how Photoshop or any major image editing software has plugins for themselves. :)

16. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

yep. I like Fireworks too. The version I have is from the Macromedia days. When did Adobe buy out Macromedia?

17. Wayne Luke

Right before version 8 of the Macromedia products shipped. They merged after version 9 and fired all the Macromedia guys at that point.

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Awesome. I'll definitely be checking these plugins out. :)

19. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

That's the version I have, 8. Well that sucks.

20. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Fireworks (latest) and previous versions are just plain useless. It is adobes solution/replacement for imageready (which they have since abandoned. I remain in using cs2 which imageready is tied into photoshop (not available anymore).

With regards to photoshop. I use the pen tool to create graphics (take for instance my avatar) created using the pen tool with well over 50 layers. I say the pen tool becauise many people find it daunting, when infact it's easier than people think. Because the mindset for most people nowadays is that photoshop requires a steep learning curve people actually think this when infact it's easier than most people think. I'm not saying you'll jump right into it and creating stunning creations but it does take a little time, motivation and patience just like everything else in life.

As for plugins/filters and other photoshop addons. I never use them. Everything built into photoshop can be achieved using the tools already built in. Filters and other addons to create a one click effect is for lazy people when the same desired effect can be done using the tools within photoshop. This is one of the reasons why many people find it hard when it comes to creating more complex graphics which involve vast layers/sets.

Another great vector software package I would recommend to anyone is inkscape.