MyBB vs. SMF and phpBB

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Tom, Jun 2, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. MyBB

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. SMF

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. PHPBB

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. Other; please post reasoning

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    You can choose before posting where you want to go as well.

2. The90sKid

The90sKid Newcomer

First Name:
    Joe
    MyBB hands down.
    I recently discovered it and I fell in love with it instantly. :)

3. LeetPirate

LeetPirate Newcomer

Hi guys, I had been testing myBB for a while and after I realised there was no way to delete or edit multiple users at a time I was disappointed. I did a search on Google and this thread was one of the results. I think the answers I was looking for were posted by Vekseid. Just wanted to say thanks! ;)

4. Dread Knight

Dread Knight Newcomer

First Name:
    Dread Knight
    Found this thread along others by googling "mybb vs phpbb vs smf" and compared to others, this forum makes pretty cool and I really enjoyed this thread since it's not full of trolls and I've seen nice arguments around.

I had big communities using phpBB before, but I don't like it that much for several reasons:
    - i hate permissions
    - hate the skinning... need to learn CSS in the near future heh
    - I don't like the way you install modes and maintain the forum board when you update
    - I don't like phpBB's own website, it's chaotic

I tried SMF before, it has some neat stuff, but it's kinda weird because they don't really have it open sourced like phpBB and MyBB, this is important to me because I'm an open source advocate and the reason I need a forum is because I started a NPO developing an open source cross platform game (which will work on Linux/Ubuntu, Windows and Mac), so I want to get out project known world wide with time, so I really needed to spend some time into researching the advantages/disadvantages of software boards before venturing ahead.
    We actually had phpBB before, ,with quite a bit of activity and community as we've been linked on 1st page of isohunt.com in an article, but had a server crash and no recent backup. Even tried bbpress but I find it just awful for many reasons. Ideally I would have love to go with google wave, but it's just not yet ready for something like this and we can't wait several years...

I like the layout of MyBB and it has nice features and such. I do consider phpBB not to be an option, but for the next version, 4, I've read they'll rewrite it from scratch, so perhaps it will deal with some of it's issues.

So we'll probably go with MyBB for the foundation and game.

Anyway, I don't care about themes too much since I'll eventually work on the new template's design myself along with some coder if I don't manage; also I don't care about mods and plugins that much.
    Some stuff that I generally look at: nice website, community, UI's, speed, security, nice use of AJAX.
    The website, brand and a first impression is really essential in making the software board a success, heck, they're even raising some money to get a better domain, mybb.com which is another + in my agenda.

Anyway, for those interested about the foundation and the game(s), I'll present myself in another topic and tell a bit about who I am and what I'm actually doing, in order to keep this thread on-topic.

adminaddict.net: seems like you're awesome :D

5. daveironhide

daveironhide Regular Member

phpBB..is the best one why..

1. Its really supportive..for almost anykind of plugin
    2. just look at the plugin library size
    3. gotta be kidding to ignore the flexibilty
    4. Ah..i love the way it loads so fast...;)

6. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

In myBB 1.6 version.That is no longer a weakness.

Multiple edits are now available.

7. eevan

eevan Newcomer

Vbulletin is definitely the best forum software I've tried.

But if I have to choose between these three, I would choose phpbb.
    By far the best, has the most support, addons, and the most options comparing the other two.

I use a combination of WordPress and phpBB (WPU plugin) and it's a great option for my needs. With various addons this forum is far better than SMF and MyBB.

Very fast and can handle incredibly high volume of traffic (even some paid forum software have no such speed).
    Has everything you need - no plugin which you can not find.

Here are some forums with high traffic. Until recently, phpbb was at the top - now is definitely Vbulletin.

There are rumors that phpbb4 will use Symphony 2 - Reloaded Framework. Interesting...

8. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

:shrug:

You must enjoy dealing with code edits when you install some of the mods?

What is Symphony 2 ?

9. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Regular Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Google is your friend :)

symfony | Web PHP Framework

10. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

I know it is.I even have an account with them.:D

But I was asking here,because there are a number of experienced coders and experts.Who could educate me HERE,and make it visible for others who visit HERE.

That way more people who visit here will be made aware of this.

Thanks for the link.

11. ckelly06

ckelly06 Regular Member

So after reading this thread, I got all excited to switch from SMF to MyBB. I installed MyBB on a staging directory on my server so I could get it looking right before launching it on my site. My task today was a pretty simple one (I thought): I wanted to integrate it into the layout of my site, so that it shows my navigation bar and footer.

And what do I find? MyBB doesn't let you add php to template files without downloading a plugin (which looks sketchy to me), and I need php in my header. GRRRR!!!!!! I've spent the last couple hours trying to figure this out but have come up empty, and am not getting a response on the MyBB support forum yet.

SMF may be ugly as sin, but if I can't get this php thing sorted with MyBB I'm going to have to chalk it up as an epic fail and move on :(

12. onlineearner123

onlineearner123 Regular Member

i like mybb...because all are big forums i have visited use mybb

13. Marker1z

Marker1z Regular Member

First Name:
    Marker
    I'd recommend sticking with either SMF or phpBB, and would probably lean towards the latest version of SMF given what you want to achieve.

14. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Okay,

but you need to explain why you believe this.

I personally like SMF far more than the perennially overrated phpBB3 especially when they went to the 2.0 version and a revamped SMF staff running their community.It has a good future to look forward to.

phpBB3 however seems to move along sluggishly these days.They are low in developers for such a huge community and slow to make their updates.