My vent about this vbulletin stuff

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by kev, Nov 11, 2009.

1. kev

kev Regular Member

This is my argument against vbulletin arguments.

I see the rate hikes and changes as part of doing business. It just happens - if you drive to work then you have to buy gas, replace tires, change the oil,,, it all cost money.

But for some reason price changes in vbulletin are not supposed to happen?

I guess if the motor in that mustang goes out, your getting ripped off? Motors are not supposed to go out,,, right??

Things happen, and there is no use in complaining about it.

Have you ever bought a car or truck? How much gas did it come with? So you should NEVER have to buy gasoline ever again. Because the car/truck came with 1/2 tank, it should stay at 1/2 a tank forever.

That is what the vbulletin argument sounds like.

Things change.

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

For some reason you are still acting like price hikes are the reason for the complaints. :uhh:

3. BamaStangGuy

Have you ever.... did you ever... will you ever... when this happens.... this happens......

The issue isn't price increases. Maybe if you say that to yourself 5 times it will begin to sink in.

4. kev

kev Regular Member

According to hotwheels money has something to do with it.

One person says its not about the money, then another says it is,,,,,.

Whether its the blog, or license changes, it goes back to money.

It cost money to do business. It cost money to drive back and forth to worth, to takes money to pay your insurance,,,, its just a fact of life.

5. BamaStangGuy

I think hotwheels as pretty much explained its how IB is acting and running vBulletin that is his problems. He wanted his money back and didn't get it.

Hotwheels didn't just wake up and say 'vBulletin is awesome! I want my money back because it's more expensive now.'

Let that sink in.

I am well aware of the 'It takes money to make moeny' saying. The issue with IB is NOT MONEY. Some might want refunds but to say that money is the only cause is incredibly short sighted.

6. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    :rolleyes:

I believe I've said this before, but its the direction the company is going in that is upsetting me, not the pricing structure, or the blogs (I don't own the blogs, and I own 1 license so honestly neither is impacting me at all).

What does impact me, is how vBulletin runs its development. When it is behind, slower to get releases, and doesn't take customer feedback correctly that is when I feel I should voice my criticism towards the direction they are headed. (notice how none of this has to do with money or the blogs, but you insist it keeps on having to do with it)

When those "things" happen, and you don't see a problem with them there is no sense complaining. When it impacts your business I'd hope you'd voice your concern or else you'll be getting run over left and right by others. If you really just take everything that happens and never voice a concern chances are you'd get chewed up and spit out in the real world. However, I know you voice your concerns, everyone does. You just don't agree with our concerns on this issue so you think no one should be upset about it...

7. Slinky

Slinky Addict

The fact of life is that, not trying to get personal, is that you're not listening or just incapable of focusing. Before ranting and defending vBullein, how about making a slight effort.

Yes, the whole issue is about taking money. But it's not necessarily the amount of money but the fact that it's paid for but not earned. If vBulletin charged $10,000 for the upgrade or $5 it doesn't change the fact whether what they did is right or wrong, even if just $5. Remember Superman 3? Just because Richard Pryor was taking the half penny that every person didn't know they wouldn't get in their paycheck doesn't mean it isn't stealing from every employee.

If it's too difficult for you to figure out, the analogy given to you is that when you pay your insurance you get a year of coverage for your money. Same for your lease. With HotWheels or anyone else, if you bought your insurance in January for a year at $100 while the company knew it was going to charge you in February $400 for an "upgrade" to 5 year coverage, then it should have been disclosed when the company knew about it. Essentially HW loses the extra 11 months he paid for because he's getting it again after being forced to buy the "better" coverage just a month later.

So HotWheels buys his license in August only to find out in October he MUST upgrade because his 10 moths of "updates" are worthless. If he doesn't pay $130 MORE after he just paid $180, it will cost him $175 later just to get all the vBulletin 4 updates. So now he pays $355 for his license when he would have paid just $235 if someone at vBulletin told him what they officially planned to do. This is why most software companies have a "grace" period where those who buy close to purchase date get a free upgrade to the new version.

I can't update my vBulletin 3.6... did you know that? The only choice I have is to pay $175 for the new product. Why? Because one day the folks at Internet Brands decided they could change the terms which I was sold a maintenance subscriptions and hold me up? Why didn't I get told of this before? Because they felt they didn't have to (and I disagree) and that since they can lock off my account, they can hold me hostage for the money they wish me to pay before obtaining the upgrade.

Got it? If you do, perhaps you can start a rant elsewhere why all these people who got shafted are being told by some members that they should shut up and pay up. :)

8. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

You do have a point. Some posters are not leaving too many other options.

The ranters will then get the board, all yours to rant and rant and rant and ...

I have a few more threads to read ... but I do not have another minute for this kind of dialog, and I'm thinking that's what will be there. So I'll be taking your advice, Bama. Thanks ! Bye.

9. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

3Phase, you'd better not be leaving this site.

No one, and I do mean NO ONE, has the right to tell anyone else to leave this, or any, site, except for the owner/admin. That's the 3rd or 4th time I've seen a member suggest to another member to leave this site, and it needs to stop.

10. BamaStangGuy

My point was, stop being a hypocrite. If you want to take that and twist it into a point that makes you warm and fuzzy inside then ok.

I think if everyone stopped, looked around their room and realized they were all upset over the internet and wipe the tears from their eyes, we could make this site better. I mean seriously.

There are too many people that care too much about keeping a standard image in place so they can glide through life milking people from their awesome internet smoothness. Seriousy, what happened to speaking up about what you think and putting that out there. The internet is not nice guys. I just want to tell you that. I don't care if you are just doing this as a hobby. If you are doing this as a hobby, someone else out there is doing it as a business. So if you want to make something out of your site you better put time into it.

This is why I don't understand why you vB guys let IB go so easy. They not only own forums that compete against most of you, they own the software most of you guys use! Can you think about that for awhile? Let it soak in.

We can all sit here and try to sip tea and play nice with each other. Put that fake smile on and hug each other over the internet.

I don't believe in fake shit.

http://fora.tv/2009/10/23/CRUSH_IT_Gary_Vaynerchuk

That is a great video. If you want to cut out the bullshit drama here on this site then watch that video. Otherwise, continue your constant tear feast.

and I guess bye to you. Cause I have been doing this since I was 17. I'm so sick of seeing people trying to take the high road here.

You might not be running your forum as a business, but someone else that competes against you is.

So, if you want your forum to prosper you better think and act like someone that is running a business. Business has no feelings.

Now, realize why so many people hate Internet Brands.

This is why I have always hated admin sites like this. You get the guys that are in the business of running forums mixed in with the 'Yay, I have a domain and do this for fun' group. Which I don't have anything against, until they start talking shit to me and everyone else about how they are tired of hearing us bitch about vBulletin and IB.

11. BamaStangGuy

Except, my suggestion was 100% accurate. Seriously? Give me a break. The guy complains that if you don't like it go somewhere else to disgruntled vBulletin owners and then I call him out on it and now it's not valid?
    :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Can we all just hug each other over the internet and get a long? :rolleyes:

12. techit

techit Addict

First Name:
    Prabh
    that my friend will remain an Utopian dream :D:D lol

13. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

And what makes you so special that you deserve a hug?

14. BamaStangGuy

My momma told me I was special.

15. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Maybe we should create a poll then and see who gets the hugs and who bypasses the eliminating round for automatic hugs. Everyone's special in their own little way. Mommas and family members opinions do not count.

We need unbiased people.

16. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

*hands out hugs to everyone*

17. bink

bink Lurker

If you like to rant, I know a perfect place to do so.
    Here.

18. mcrickeo

mcrickeo Regular Member

I think this is a good heated discussion.

In everything there is DIVERSITY and DIVERSITY is good.

I can see where your coming from Kevin and I can see where others are coming from.

For me $ is nothing to do with it for those that $ is to do with it I would say your 110% right get a job save up, if you want it that bad it must be worth the price rise huh?

However I think a lot of issues are actually because vBulletin has failed to listen to what customers wanted instead of sticking to where they was with vBulletin and developing it further and adding areas customers wanted and asked for and improving areas that didn't work to great they went and almost redeveloped a whole new product. They changed the whole styling and template system and a lot of other things which for people who have spent many years getting used to vBulletin have now wasted those years.

vBulletin need to listen to there customers more instead they rushed a product and though some features are good 99% of it is messy to say the least.

So we all need to understand each others points of view if someone likes this messy product and wants to defend it that is there right but equally we are entitled to say that it's messy at the end of the day we just want vBulletin to better itself and help the product.

Rick

19. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

I think the heat went out of it about two months ago ............. :spin:

20. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

yeah I would have to agree with that :lol: