My 0.02$ about vB5

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by ragtek, Mar 19, 2013.

1. nab1x9

nab1x9 Regular Member

So how ahout now as it's in v5.0.1. Overall load speed quite fast for me, missing features seemed to be fixed right way and is being continued.

I have no idea why did they publish v5 so soon before it can fully work. Maybe because effect of Xenforo?

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

Compared to what? Taking a page render time from 23 seconds down to 12 seconds is *not* quite fast. It's utterly horrific speed still.

It roughly the same speed as the old days of a 1200 baud modem dialing in to the Internet.

Brandon and Cerberus like this.
  3. nab1x9

nab1x9 Regular Member

That's odd. It only takes me less than 5s to render full page. I don't use any superior Internet conn

4. digitalpoint

Strange... What browser are you using?

5. digitalpoint

Not sure if their server is having an especially bad day, but I went to actually measure the load time, and it took 41 seconds to load the main page (just the raw HTML, not even counting secondary assets or rendering the page itself)...

af.cl.ly_items_0G0L0a2i2F2I1w0B2i0Z_Image_202013.04.04_204_13_08_20PM.png

There is no stretch of the imagination that could call that "quite fast".

Also... reloading the page so you could at least give them an opportunity to hit their Varnish caching servers (even though it's silly that they are needed), the initial page page download STILL took 17+ seconds.

"Quite fast" indeed... lol (BTW - my site takes 1.6 seconds to load because of all the extra third party stuff... Facebook, Twitter, Google+, AdSense, etc.) Even *with* all that stuff, it's 11x faster (even with the overhead of SSL).

af.cl.ly_items_2x2D1z0G0T2J37270M29_Image_202013.04.04_204_17_22_20PM.png

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Most of the time that I try to access vbulletin.com I simply give up before the page is loaded. If their website does load within a a reasonable time frame, then its still a mess to navigate so its hardly worth the effort of waiting for close to a minute at times.

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I'm the same way, I went a few weeks without checking the site because it was just to slow to use. I also can't stand the trouble finding the "new topics" link, I wish it was on all pages, not just the one. :(

8. nab1x9

nab1x9 Regular Member

@>digitalpoint I have no idea. This is what I get on vbulletin. All other XF boards until now for me is faster but vb not so bad. Like what you see, I'm using chrome (stable)

So may we conclude it is because of server but vb5 itself.

apuu_sh_2u7od_.png

9. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Maybe there is a new hidden feature in vB5. Something you could call "piss off your users on purpose". If there is a user you have you can't ban, but you don't like them and don't want them on your forums for any certain reason (like it is a customer who is a traitor by moving to the competition....hahaha:):p), then you turn on this feature just for this unwanted user and the user is purposely served up all pages with a piss poor performance, so they hopefully just get so upset they just never come back on their own.

That sounds like something IB could dream up. Hahahahah....

Scott

Dan Hutter likes this.