Live vBulletin 4 site

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by David, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

What's the legality of posting images of that site? I'm not sure, I'm not an alpha tester, nor beta tester, and I've not signed no non disclosure agreement with Jelsoft/Internet Brands, but would the mere images cause problems here?

2. David

David Regular Member

It wasn't anything different than whats already been shown by the official screenshots at vB.com, so what would be the point of even wasting your time doing it

3. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

Because it's all the pages that the official images don't cover? Calendar, profiles, blog entries, threads, register form, search form, members list and I think FAQ. I forgot to snapshot the archive page, contact form and things like PMs though, and I didn't register there to see if anything was hidden.

4. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

One potential issue is that this site has people like Wayne Luke posting here, who often gives help from an Internet brands perspective, something he doesn't HAVE to do.

If this site is seen to be hosting or advocating illegal images, then he may be forced to review that situation.

Wayne doesn't just post any old where, so it'd be a shame to lose his input.

5. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Oh let's all tipsy toe around the greatest poster on earth. *dances*

Nobody has to post here but they do. Ones persons nonsense isn't any better than the next.

*waits for the next exciting PM*

6. The Voice

The Voice Addict

First Name:
    Anisha
    I bet it was a fake.

7. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

The only thing IB can do is remove access to alpha/beta releases. There's REALLY not much more IB can do. Oh, sure, they'll threaten to do this and that and raise a big fuss like a group of children, but that's all.

I wouldn't be surprised either if this was a stunt put out by IB, just like I wouldn't be surprised if the "leak" came from them to soften the blow on customers, but either way, they really need to learn how to address customers properly

8. The Voice

The Voice Addict

First Name:
    Anisha
    TOTALLY FAKE! Compare screenshots.

9. twhiting9275

Let's see
    Wayne confirmed they "know" who it is. Fake? Not so much
    Link removed: Fake? Not so much
    Screenshots change, plans change, designs change. This doesn't surprise me in the least, and it certainly wouldn't be surprising if they changed styles like this

10. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Also, for those of you who've seen it, remember: IT'S IN ALPHA.

There could be a whole mess of cool stuff waiting in the repository that you won't see until Beta, RC, or even the final release. The reason it looks the same as 3.X is because they are using certain features or designs as a placeholder. Just like Joomla! 1.6 recently released their Alpha to the public. It sort of looks like 1.5 from the front-end and backend, but there are a few key differences. It's how software development works. I'm no expert or coder, but I do know that super-early builds look nothing like the final version.

(Homework: Search "Windows Longhorn" on Google Images; Compare with "Windows Vista"; Profit)

Don't jump to conclusions over an Alpha-build. Things will change, guaranteed.

11. David

David Regular Member

It wasn't fake. I was there, used it. had 4.0 features.

12. twhiting9275

Yeah, I think the world knows it's in Alpha. it's been in Alpha for years now, these are just the first alpha builds that we're seeing publicly.

Honestly, if this is as far as they've made it with alpha after years of design and construction, then there's a problem.

13. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Years? That is part of the problem. The previous development team talked about developing vBulletin 4.X for a long time but it didn't get started until the end of 2008. They got sidetracked with vBulletin 3.7 and 3.8 (not their fault though) and if they had started vBulletin 4 back in 2006 like they said they were, we wouldn't be here today.

14. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I hear ya, I put things off all the time.

Well I wanted to see something and today I did, so I just upgraded one of my licenses. So in a way that site did a good thing, or maybe a bad thing depending on much of a pain people think I am.

I'll leave the url to where that license points to blank so as not to screw up any licensing issues.

So it seems you are stuck with me a while longer. : )

15. The Voice

The Voice Addict

First Name:
    Anisha
    Seems the demo was from some Nulling team. Atleast thats what i hear.

16. The Voice

The Voice Addict

First Name:
    Anisha
    Link Removed
    There's a WIP. Almost thought it was real.

17. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Gone like the wind. It was 3.8 with a custom skin anyway.

18. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

It wasn't.

It isn't and doesn't look like the current style. Though it has been taken down and leads to a chatroom now. Above the chatroom it has this text:
    No, this was not vB4, just vB3.8, running my own custom skin

19. David

David Regular Member

No its what you've made up.

It had nothing to do with any nulling team, or piracy. I know the guy who owns it and its as far away from piracy as you can get.

2 people like this.
  20. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Gaah, stop it FFS!