Jelsoft a little stuck on themselves?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by kev, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Yeah, I noticed that. I guess the skunk wasn't appreciated enough. The whole quality of the image is questionable but then it's only a maintenance screen and wasn't intended to be there any longer than it has been.

R.I.P vb skunk.

2. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

People read way too much into these things.

The quality of the image? Who cares? It's there to tell us that they're working on something.

The length of time it's taking to upgrade? You try to do the same task with a forum as large and important as vB, and tell me you can rush through it in half-an-hour.

And the skunk probably disappeared to go assist with the rest of the upgrade. :P

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Why does it matter if some people are so interested in what's going on?

4. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

I love lamp!

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It's currently back to prompting for the .htaccess login. Hoping it means things will be up soon. ;)

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I really would not mind except it is prompting me for the username and password over and over even though I'm not looking at the vb.com forum. I'll close that window (tab) next time I get a pop-up.

7. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Shelley?? What you been drinkin' today girl, I want some! :D

8. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

There's a difference between interest and whining over every little thing about the upgrade like your life depends on it. I don't think quality of the image really has an relevancy.

9. David

David Regular Member

I'll agree with the quality of the image POV :rolleyes:

However, the length of time for the upgrade is a pretty long time considering these are the people who have developed the software, (not to mention its also their first major upgrade since taking over).

With the state they left the community in over recent affairs, trust me, this is seen as just another disaster in the long line of them since IB took over. Whether it took this long when Jelsoft upgrade from v2 to v3 for the first time I'm unsure. I do know it didn't take this long from 3.0 to 3.5 though ;)

10. tech

tech Regular Member

Jelsoft doesnt exist now?

Im confused...When did IB buy or start to own vbulletin?

And im bored, i wanno see some vb4..

11. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Internet Brands bought Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd (a UK company) in 2007, but they have now moved the rights to the software to a new US company called vBulletin Solutions Inc.

12. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

The upgrade is actually completed. It has been since about 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. However the forums will probably remain closed until morning. If it was possible, I'd open them up right now but I am not the one making that decision. This way at least, I can take the evening off and spend time with my family.

Anyone with questions or needing support should use the email link on the maintenance page. Other than that not much else to say at this point.

13. tech

tech Regular Member

So why isnt it open if its done?

14. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Something not right with all of this.

Which is pretty much what you end up saying with everything this company do now.

15. tech

tech Regular Member

well im going to bed now, i just hope its up when i wake up tomorrow, however i might be on later if i cant get to sleep =) ill have meh laptop on standby next to my bed =)

Coke Time!

16. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Well if they are saying tomorrow morning, then in the UK that means tomorrow afternoon. So have a lie in!

17. Ray Morgan

Ray Morgan Newcomer

Greetings all,

Well, we've had our share of excitement this morning, and since this thread was going on, I hope you don't mind my popping in to explain what's going on over at vb.com.

We decided to take some extra time before bringing the forums back up this morning after the upgrade to 4.0. Briefly, here's what happened.

First, the good news: The installation of 4.0 itself actually went as planned. The upgrade to 4.0 Publishing Suite from the 3.8.4 base product was seamless, and that agrees with the success the alpha/beta team has seen up to this point.

The issues we encountered were related to the fact that the instance of vB running on vBulletin.com has integration points with various business systems: administration, release management, ticket support, the product information site, and more. Cooler heads make better problem solvers, so we chose to investigate and solve the problems with the site offline rather than live to the world.

The issues we ran into are unique to our environment, and they are not things that would factor into a normal customer installation.

Our forums are actually up, running and stable now, but are only accessible to our internal staff. Given that this is such an important upgrade, we're taking our time and being careful, and we're planning on opening our forums back up tomorrow morning.

7 people like this.
  18. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

What happened to the skunk in the maintenance screen ray?

19. Ray Morgan

Ray Morgan Newcomer

Oh, the skunk...

The skunk could take being mistaken for a squirrel, chinchilla, and groundhog, but the blowfish comment pushed him over the edge.

20. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Thanks Wayne. I'll stop clicking on the site now.

edit - welcome Ray!