Jelsoft a little stuck on themselves?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by kev, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tech

tech Regular Member

And yet again its down haha..

EDIT: BACK!

2. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Stats for What's going On? is disabled. No idea how many ppl are logged in or are guests.

meh...where's teh popcorn smiley?

3. tech

tech Regular Member

They probably to embarrassed to show due to how many times it keeps going down...

Is 4.0 the Windows Vista of vbulletin?!?!?!?!

4. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

^Someone suggested it might have been disabled because it slowed the forum down. Maybe the who's online bit was poorly coded...

5. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

This is what it says in my admincp for my forum:

Display Logged in Users?
    Displays those users that have been active in the last XXX seconds on the home page, where XXX is the value specified by your Cookie Time-Out option (Default is last 15 minutes). Not recommended for sites with hundreds of simultaneous users. The Alphabetical option requires more resources than the random option.

Display Logged in Users?
    Enabling this option shows a list of users that are browsing your forums on the main page. Disable if you are concerned about performance.

6. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

A very busy site will find the "What's Going On?" box will potentially cause a high load. that will be why they have disabled it, no conspiracy theory. It's just to keep the site running faster. I daresay when it settles they'll put it back on.

7. tech

tech Regular Member

But they are running 5 servers, they shouldnt need to disable that..

Yeah it might speed things up but running 5 servers and they cant display a couple thousand users is a disgrace to their servers..

8. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

It is down again.

Site currently unavailable

The vBulletin Solutions site you are requesting is currently unavailable.
    Please check back shortly.

Even I am getting disillusioned, and that is not easy to accomplish.

I'll go take a quick nap.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Again: I don't believe an announcement to update the status was necessary. There was hype and curiosity abound here, so Ray responded. I highly doubt he thought, "Hey - let's go to AdminAddict, update them on what's going on, and avoid vBulletin.org".

Again, the point wasn't to inform vB customers, as you imply. It was to address the concerns of the members on AA who were incessantly posting about the whole ordeal, wondering what was going on.

vB.org = more vBulletin customers
    AA = more concerned/worried/curious members = the place where Ray's message was most warranted

10. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Nick, why didn't he just post it on the vBulletin "FRONTPAGE", that he knew every single vBulletin user was visiting every hour to see if the forum was back online. It doesn't make any sense at all in what your saying. Nor does it make any sense why he should come and post it here either. Why not in that case also post it on "TheAdminZone", that's a much bigger and widely used place by vBulletin people than this site.

Common sense alone tells you his announcement should have been posted first on the vBulletin Frontpage that was up in place of the forum to inform many more vBulletin users than comes here. Then second on vBulletin.org

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

1 - It's not an announcement. It's a response to concerns that were voiced here.

2 - The concerned members are here, not at TheAdminZone, hence the post was made here.

3 - Again, the point wasn't to inform vBulletin customers. It was to answer concerns that were made here.

-

If somebody asked a vBulletin support question here at AA, Wayne isn't going to answer it at vBulletin.com - he's going to answer it here.
    If customers are asking/talking about vB.com here at AA, responses will be made here at AA.

12. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well lets look at it from this angle instead then. Ray could have posted some answers on the frontpage that was up instead of the forum, then come here and posted a link leading to those answers.

One: He would have answered all questions for people here there.
    Second: Others wondering the same (but not coming here). Could also read the same information when visiting the vBulletin front-page also.

Now wouldn't that make more sense to kill two birds with one stone.

13. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

Here's the excuse we're going to hear when 4.0 fails:
    yeah, the prior owners of Jelsoft, though they had slower dev times, at least respected their customers, something IB has yet to do.

Still incredibly slow, hours after site comes up. This doesn't say anything good about the product when it brings 5 servers to a screeching halt.

That's what it's looking like. That would mean we can expect to hear silly stuff from IPB any minute now ;)

Yes, but you see that involves actually planning and thinking things through. Jelsoft was sold to a company that does things by the seat of their pants, and refuses to adhere to any bit of professionality. Common sense? Well, if the company had any common sense, they would have stopped this train wreck months ago.

So, let's look at this from another perspective, the testbed:
    Alpha started August 19th
    Beta started October 21st

Anyone else notice that this is just way too short of a time to run an "alpha" test for a major release of forum software? The CMS hasn't even been finished / released, but it's out of "alpha"? Come on now. Show at least some respect for the testing process.

14. drumming207

drumming207 Adept

I can't believe vBulletin. How dare they work on their site and not tell me what's going on. I must know what is going on at all times.

I'm even more upset that vBulletin did all of this and Ray didn't PM me to let me know. ;)

4 people like this.
  15. cheat-master30

This is the funniest 'board temporarily closed' message ever:

16. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Skunk part 2

17. cheat-master30

What's with the freaking skunk fad? It's annoying...

18. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I am not sure what you mean exactly, but all I know is that I have no idea what the skunk thing is about except for that I saw a link with a screenshot of when they had a skunk on their maintenance page for whatever reason (humor?). This is obviously humorous too, thus my post. :)

19. cheat-master30

I know that bit, I'm curious however why everyone is posting as if it's the greatest thing ever (the skunk in the old image).

20. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

If you get annoyed by skunk talk and light humour then there is a problem on your part. If I annoy you and other people annoy you with this skunk banter there's a ignore button you can quite easily press.

The skunk is dead haven't you heard?