Is xenForo Dying?

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by AWS, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Over a year and a half and still the case is still running and running..........

2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Just checked vBulletin and it's down again. What's going on there at all? Spill the beanz Mark, what have you done! :nono:

3. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Earlier they said there had been a small fire on the roof of the building and some of the servers were affected, or something.

4. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Tried visiting earlier and it wasn't loading for me, guess they must still be having issues then from yesterday.

5. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

It is indeed up and down again this evening, my money's on some form of attack.

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Seems funny they are up one minute down the next, I would have thought that, some kind of DDoS attack taking place.

7. GTB

GTB Regular Member

8. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    No wonder it's taking forever for my license transfer request to get to the new owner.

9. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

4.1.12 has been out for weeks now.

10. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Ah right, my mistake I didn't check the date and presumed it was a new post displayed in the sidebar just made.

11. soniceffect

soniceffect Regular Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Tell me about it .. One measly fire and you'd think the world had ended :D

12. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I avoided posting a reply to this before about Brogan (and for a reason). Now I've spotted something today on XenForo, so will reply now. Sorry, but I don't agree with either of you. Brogan, isn't Steve Machol. The same way "Steve Machol" was never a "Wayne Luke". They all have their different style of moderating and different personality coming with it. But think Brogan does just as good a job really.

It seems he's taken your comments a little too much to heart reading them here, even posting a new status update saying "Time to call it a day I think", referring to this forum and your comments made. He's been missing online since at XF also. To be fair, he's had a tough job at XenForo with Kier, Mike and Ashley not posting any updates and people screaming and falling out with one another over it all, pretty much doing a SOLO moderating job too. Not an easy thing and not sure how even Steve Machol and Waye Luke would have coped with things (together as a team), but known for sure "Steve" would have been much more incline to issue warning out to shut you up, or just ban you outright! They wasn't soft touches at vBulletin, instead they dealt with things mostly behind the scene playing hard-ball using warning and bans via Private Messages.

13. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    During the vbulletin 3 fiasco Steve and Wayne did everything they could to keep the community under control when John, James and the devs went silent. Unlike Brogan, who just runs and hides or remains silent, they tried to give as much information as they had about what was going on. While their info was limited they did let users know what they knew. It went a long way keeping the trust of the company and software. If Kier, Mike and Ashly keep on the path they are on and Brogan continues to cower in a corner xenForo will be a failure before it really got started.

14. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    One other thing. Steve and Wayne where the best at sending you a warning that was well thought out and to the point. If they removed a post you were sure to get a thorough explanation why via PM. When they closed a thread they also gave a thorough explanation why. Brogan leaves a one line reply when he closes a thread that basically says nothing. I don't know if he sends a PM to the user or not explaining his actions further. If he doesn't then his actions are nothing more than the actions of a coward. Afraid to actually confront an abusive user.

15. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Thing is Bob, does he know anything about what's happening behind the scene to give people any extra information though? I'll agree at vBulletin if your post was deleted you usually got a PM explaining why, along with a warning in some cases. I've had posts deleted at XF with nothing said to me, a few in fact recently! But they don't have a proper PM system there as such like vBulletin has.

But will agree in saying it seems a little ignorant to delete your post and say nothing, but on other-hand if knowing it did "warrant being removed", I'm not that fussed about it to be honest. Keep in mind there's only really been Brogan moderating SOLO on XenForo, he won't have as much time to keep posting reasons why he deleted a persons post. Different when you have more moderators like at vBulletin, there wasn't only Steve and Wayne, there was others like Floris, Bruce, Zack e.t.c. They could do that, sending a PM explaning while other mods there were still moderating things at the very same time.

Just looking at the bigger picture here. You can't compare vBulletin with lots of mods online, to XenForo having basically one active mod present 90% of the time in just Brogan having to deal with everything himself alone. Obvious some corners will have to be cut, like PM'ing every single person who's post you delete, it's just not realistic!

16. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Isn't Brogan a volunteer moderator though? I don't think he's "paid staff".
    Whilst he might not always have the greatest way with words, you need to look at the support he gives to the community, not so much the moderating side of it.

Even with all the recent troubles, he's still in there posting responses to people's questions and pointing them in the right direction. His knowledge of the software is great and I think if he hadn't been in there doing all that, where would it be now?

As to the situation with XenForo's owners, I'd be surprised if he knows a great deal more than we do, even if he did he wouldn't be permitted to say so. Overall I applaud his efforts in there.

17. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Oh and I disagree that he's a coward, but even if he was, it can be forgiven considering some of the abuse he's been getting.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Good point Mark, he's not a paid moderator like Wayne Luke or Steve Machol.

19. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

If Brogan really is on the verge of quitting then it's a TERRIBLE DAY for the concept of volunteers providing services on the internet to keep products free/low cost.

We'll all suffer in the long run. It's like the mod author's who get abused on vbulletin.org. I've called a fair few instances out in my time and told people to back off.

20. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Read his profile and his last status updates made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.