Is xenForo Dying?

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by AWS, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well anyway, said what I think right now and I'm not posting it over there to be raped by the fan-boys. Just because they don't agree!

2. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Same here, but as expected we're now getting the over-emotional "fanboi" attacks, "shame on you all" in one post, we're also (as GTB has linked to but there are others) getting posts from people effectively instructing others to shut up.

This is not new. This has been the situation on the XF forums for a LONG time. It is a great shame, this vocal minority spoil it for others, you cannot post ANY constructive criticism of the product without someone posting "well perhaps if you spent more time running your forum instead of whining on here..." and suchlike.

It has effectively put me off mainstream posting on there, and it's a terrible shame. You just can't have rational discussions on there.

3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well I'm looking forward to XenForo 1.2, have a gut feeling it going to surprise us all and include some cool new stuff. It's coming with StopForumSpam, which for me is a great plus factor in itself, something I've asked to be added all along. I don't use vBulletin, nor IPB. I use XenForo and that should tell the naysayers something!

4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It wasn't too very long ago that the very same fanboys tried to do the same thing at vbulletin.com. The only difference was there was Steve and Wayne to curb them so they couldn't run rough shod over customers that had a gripe with vbulletin.

And that brings me to the point of my post. xenforo needs someone like Steve and/or Wayne to get those people in line. I am sorry but Brogan is no Steve Machol. Not even close.

5. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

Nope, he's a "yes" man through and through.

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Somebody has set-up another forum like Peggy before to collect donations again for XenForo. http://www.xentastic.co.uk/

No offence, but does that person seriously expect people to hand over cash donations when we can't ever get a word said out the developers for months about the future of XenForo, it might not even be around soon for all we know these days? Nice thought and all, but right now I'd say most customers are a little miffed about being kept in the dark with no news (about anything). The last thing on their mind is giving them money because of that.

And the person running that forum has pledged £50 per month out his own money to support them. Wow, what a fool in my book!

7. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

More money than sense then in that case. If he's really got that to spare each month he should choose a local charity.

Donating money to commercial profit-driven enterprises is never good, no matter how worthy they may be.

This whole scene is like watching a car crash in slow motion. It is extremely sad.

2 people like this.
  8. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I like how you put that, it is really.

9. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Having just read the new court documents Shamil posted up on his blog, think we can say the rumor XenForo might be selling out to Internet Brands holds no water.

The court case is still ongoing.

10. soniceffect

soniceffect Regular Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Horrible to read through that with the thought of what its actually doing to peoples lives. I mean screw the software Im talkin about Mike and Kier personally. I really cant see how it could not be affecting them massively after this amount of time.

Personally I have been one of the ones to say I think xenforo will win, they have a case etc etc however I really don't see it anymore. I dont see how its not gonna crush all three of them and to be honest I hope Im wrong. Xenforo is a good product for something so early in its development and its not just xenforo that will suffer from its dissapearance, its everyone. The more people competing for better software the better it is for all of us no matter which software we use.

That being said, I still prefered it when the choices were simple LOL

11. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    The reason the last donation thing didn't work because someone in a moment of sanity explained that someone had to pay the taxes on the money collected. Only way around that is to be a non profit organization.

12. GTB

GTB Regular Member

That was it, Peggy wasn't fully aware of things and what she'd be liable for. Until someone else explained it in the know and she decided to stop doing it soon after. Think she said at the time it would even cost her money to register as a non profit organization. The person running that site posted on XenForo about it as well since, but the idea has not been very well received there.

13. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

I couldnt agree more...

That all depends on the IB management frankly. There are things they could do that would make vB the software to have. But I fear that sometimes they are short sided over at IB and dont really plan for how to improve the future.

14. Goerge Hastings

Goerge Hastings Regular Member

First Name:
    George
    The donations idea was well intentioned but a bit naive.

Kier was paid £45 an hour at vB and Mike was paid £35 per hour (that's from their contracts which are evidence in the legal case). They will be well paid again in the future, either from XenForo or from other work. I can't see any evidence they are hard up. So to ask customers to reach a monthly target of £1500 to pay these two developers is actually quite distasteful. There are charities begging for that level of support, and to say that Kier and Mike are "in need" of money is making the mother of all assumptions.

I also cannot see how throwing money at this will help. Neither of them are bothering to post and Kier's update is looking conspicuous by it being a one-off post with no follow up. Along with many other customers, my goodwill was lost by the way they are handling their lack of activity, I have no interest in simply throwing money at them.

Also, I'd like to stick two fingers up to all the fanbois who claimed Kier was absent because he was developing, and that any claims by people like us that there were problems was heresy. Why? Because Kier's own post confirmed he has not been around due to other problems and was still unsure he would be back "for good". That does not sound like he was away because he was developing, does it? It kind of proves we were right all along, that something was up.

In summary, it is now business as usual at XenForo - a complete lack of posts from the actual product developers, leaving customers having to resort to such pathetic acts as trying to raise £1500 a month to "support" these developers and encourage them to hurry up and do something.

15. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well said to be honest, I don't known were people are getting this silly idea the devs are living on "dried bread and water" like Jesus, even though Kier walks barefoot. If they was making no money at all, how would they pay bills, their mortgage, run a car, even eat food e.t.c. Just stupid talk, people are taking what was said by Kier too far, reading way too much into things. If things was really that bad, they'd both get a job working for another company. Both have the background skill and time spent at vBulletin shown as proof to be working in a very well paid job (if not creating XenForo). You have to be careful at times with some things said by Kier, he was renowned for being "cryptic" in his announcements at vBulletin before, ask AWS about that one. He likes playing games seeing what people will make of what he says, how many different spins on it will be dreamed on what he actually meant.

Most of us wise-up to that one long ago, taking what he says now with a pinch of salt. You have to keep an open mind on things always, I could tell you I've just been away from web due to a bad accident for months. But have I really, or did I just play the sympathy card as an excuse to suit me? I've worked with people having serious personal issues, but they still end-up going go to work showing their faces because they have bills to pay at the end of the day. They most certainly don't take more than a 3-4 weeks out of work at most, they can't afford it unless being laid up in hospital unable to go to work.

Point being, I don't necessary buy into what's been said. I'm keeping an open mind about it all still.

That's something I thought about also later, he more or less admitted he's not been working on XenForo if you go by that post made (his own words). He was away due to personal problems only, wasn't even sure if coming back. Something the fanbois never seemed to pick-up on, but then surprise, surprise!

16. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

What's THIS all about?

The actual post is on vbulletin.com but the site seems to be down. I have linked to the vbulletin.org RSS copy instead.

17. GTB

GTB Regular Member

No idea, seems a little odd. :shrug:

vBulletin is online though.....

18. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

It's up and down like a yo yo, it's been back since but is now offline again. Only the forum though.

19. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yes, I see it's down again. Maybe they getting DDoS attacked?

20. Goerge Hastings

Goerge Hastings Regular Member

First Name:
    George
    Strange. No posts about it in the licenced customer area.

Maybe they have technical problems. Maybe there is a problem with the building they are in, or a gas leak. Maybe their staff have walked out. This is a conspiracy field day, so let's feast before some pretty boring and commonsense explanation comes out.

Back OT, I've had a great idea tonight on how to support Kier and Mike's living costs. A while ago Kier posted up a photo showing off his collection of camera lenses. There must have been £20k plus there. My idea is this (you'll love the simplicity too): Kier can sell some of them! That will save customers feeling they should donate £1500 a month of their hard earned cash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.