Is vb5 almost there now

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Lee G, May 11, 2014.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

Channel titles....it just means the forum titles in Today's Posts. They were there in vB3 and vB4, but not vB5.
    I can add them in manually with a template edit (I wrote a tutorial) but this is a 'missing feature' if you like, and thus I raised a tracker entry for it as it is an easy fix.
    Pleasingly, it looks like it might make it into 5.1.3, though not definite yet.

Lee G and s.molinari like this.
  2. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

So did you ever give vB5 a try?

3. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Thanks for the clarification Mark. I was thinking channel titles were in vB5 and was taken out and is now being put back in, probably because of the term "channel titles".

On the Jira usage. You know my suggestion. Support should be the ones adding them and at the same time, being very valuable filters to the system. Instead of a free-for-all for all customers to add issues and get a lot of issues added and too many duplicated and that be a cause for a messy tracker, the support staff should control the inflow of issues and the connection between them and the source of the reports (linkbacks to tickets and threads). Many issues current in vB's tracker could be solved (messiness, complexity (obviously it isn't complex enough for some), poor priority setting, due to lack of overview, due to too many issues) and the value of the system is raised a couple of levels higher, to where it should be, a proper tool to determine quality levels and manage them.

Of course, the real goal is not to cause the creation of issues. And the fact less and less customers are giving feedback for vB5, not only because of possible better quality, but because of lack of passion for the product, the system is getting "cleaner" already....until the next release.....

So my suggestion still stands....:)

Scott

4. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Not yet.
    The only testing I have done is the three day trial so far and looking over the vbulletin forum

At the moment there is no point buying it until I see its fit for purpose
    Two reason, one I will be paying for vbulletin to do the upgrade and secondly for the ticket support system.
    No point in buying now and having the support tickets run out before I might have the need to use them

A lot of the mods I presently use are either abandoned or no longer supported
    VBSEO for example

A couple of custom pages on my forums can easily be added in minutes and have their own tabs on the bar

5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Check out the vb5 demo I have up. http://vbulletin.admintalk.com I can set you up with an admin account that won't expire.

6. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Thank for the offer on that, just tried and got

Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

Not sure if that's a bug or a feature :censored:
    Good to see you have done the update and have it running on 5.1.1

7. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I forgot about that. It seems when I upgraded to 5.1.1 it messed up registrations. It is set to allow in options, but, doesn't work for some reason.

8. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    I seem to remember that having a custom announcement caused problems with registrations, or having them turned on might cause the problem
    Or just using vb5 might be the problem :whistle:

You also have another bug with the rss feeds
    If you click on the rss feed icon at the top of forum home page, you get this message
    Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.
    Someone was having problems on the vbulletin support forums recently with the same problem

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Yep. That's a big that still hasn't been fixed.

10. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
  11. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

To me the question from the OP "Is vb5 almost there now" would be a resounding HELL NO, NOT EVEN CLOSE if the posts here and on the vB board are correct.

thewhatami, Big al and GTB like this.
  12. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Its all minor bits now :D

Even when they have been given the code for features and fixes, those bits are still not added until two releases into the future
    Something makes me think that the programmers will be booking time to do the programming and be sitting with a nice cup of tea and watching NCIS :bag:

13. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Registration is fixed. It seem Facebook integration was the problem. I disabled it and registration start working again.

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I think there's quite a few major issues as well such as no support for Safari which means you can kiss goodbye to all your users posting from Apple devices. You've found a few bugs in a short space of time, I can show you a hundred more. Imagine how many issues your users will find.

It really makes no sense at all to use vBulletin 5 right now, it's still a total disaster.

Big al likes this.
  15. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    :whistle: Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

Just tried again, I was getting all excited then
    The registration page shows, but its when you click on the complete signup button

If common sense prevailed in the programming, if registrations are disabled, why show the register page

5.1.2 cant be far off release now going by Jira and the amount of bugs / features being added and updated now

16. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

It is a mixture of support adding them, and customers adding them, and that's the right way.
    If I can replicate an issue I will happily add it and send the customer a link, because if any questions come up from the devs, I can probably answer them due to being able to replicate it.

If I cannot replicate it, it is better that the customer logs it, otherwise any questions from the devs cannot get answered and if they cannot replicate it either, it will get closed.

Feature and improvement requests are usually better logged by the customer, for the same reasons.

Now, I know you're going to come back and say that support staff should spend hours and hours every day, liaising back and forth between customers and developers. The harsh reality is, there aren't the resources for that so it cannot happen.

17. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I registered a test account successfully. Maybe clear your browser cache and try again.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Eh? What do mean... you can't register when facebook is turned on?

So have they still not fixed the RSS problem... that's was something which needed sorting in this version.

19. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I checked that thread. It looks like that user also uses IIS. It seems RSS feeds sometimes work on Linux servers and don't work at all on Windows/IIS servers.

It would seem that the beta test group doesn't have any Windows server users. If it does then I would bet none of them use IIS and instead use a WAMP stack. That is the only thing that can explain why some things just don't work on Windows/IIS servers.

20. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Just tried Opera on this pc and then via another pc
    Same message about registrations being disabled
    Still got a few family members pc's left here I can remote access to test with virgin browser caches

Im a pro at breaking things :D

thewhatami likes this.