Is incompatibility with IE6 going to be fixed?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Ramya108, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    Guys might want to read up on this if you still think IE6 is as safe as current browsers.

Quite interesting to see that now even GOOGLE is phasing out support for IE6. They must be another one of those companies who have no idea what they're doing like someone said last page right?

BBC News - Google phases out support for IE6

2 people like this.
  2. Brooker

Brooker Addict

No.

The difference is that Google is one of the few companies that can instigate change. They have that power - your site, my site, or all the forums in the world, don't.

Edit: btw to add, it's great that google is doing it - they are probably the only company in the world that actually could influence enough people/companies to change, and hopefully kill off IE6.

2 people like this.
  3. The Geek

The Geek Novice

First Name:
    Mr. Geek
    Google is phasing out IE6 support for some of its apps. That will be based largely on usage. Its not like you won't be able to google 'pretty knickers' if using IE6. Do you think they would stop showing adsense to IE6 users? Hell no! They will support that till the cows come home because they arent stupid enough to cut off 10% of their revenue, why should you?

Furthermore its not like my site or other users are going to get a virus from another user on IE6.

The fact remains that 10% of internet users are on IE6. It is more used than Chrome or Safari and most FF versions. Sites that count on ads for revenue will conceivably drop their revenue by 10%, participation by 10%, new users by 10%, etc... by not making their site usable for IE6.

All for... what?

What exactly does it mean to you? Is vB4 using such wicked cutting edge technology that it is just too brain crampy to port it to IE6?

Seriously people.

3 people like this.
  4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Slowly more companies will stop supporting IE6 which is a good thing. I thought youtube was also dropping support either this year or next.

But I will not use v4 if it does not work for 10% of my members. I may not want to use v4 for a number of other reasons as well, so it may not matter anyway.

5. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    I've said a few times, I support IE6 users to an extent with less features and/or design elements. I've never once said to put up a "You are on IE6, so I Wont show my site to you" page, at least I'm pretty sure I haven't said that.

Its good that Google is doing this, as they need to get pushy about standards with HTML5 coming around the corner here. More and more Web Applications are dropping support for IE6. That doesn't mean IE6 will neccessarily not show or work with these apps, but they wont fully support them anymore.

IT departments need to get it together. If the internet is too fast for them, they might want to move to another department.

Also, throughout my sites, i have 3.2% of visitors using IE6, so depending on your niche and users/visitors you'll have different metrics. This is the same problem everyone had with Netscape 4, we need to learn from it and be able to do something to fight back.

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Indeed. Oddly, 10% of Internet Explorer users who visit AA are using 6.0. I say this is odd, because one of my other forums, which consists mostly of users who aren't tech-savvy (and therefore are more likely to use an older browser), has just 6% of IE users using 6.0.

2 people like this.
  7. Trip

Trip Novice

vB knows they have to address the IE6 issues and their little announcement said they will around 4.02. I just looked quick on .orgs front page and there was a blurb there about it.
    The only time I use IE6 is when I'm at work. My machine at home is 64 bit so I couldn't run it even if I wanted to.

8. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

I personally was slow to upgrade from IE 6 because of the numerous complaints about IE 8. If I weren't a forum admin those complaints might still be discouraging me from changing something that works now, in my own experience.

It really doesn't matter what the basis of the IE 8 complaints are, or if they have been addressed ... the public perception is still out there and that's how people decide about something they know almost nothing about technically.

example article from March 2009 - which is a timeframe still in the public memory (doesn't matter how good or bad the article is, what matters is that it's part of the public information)