Images in signatures

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jun 28, 2009.

1. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

For a script like this to work, it would have to have a certain size, IE: 400x150, and a location within, pixel wise for it to insert the words without disturbing the image.

Some one to create a flash program such as the photobucket one could come in handy.

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Yes, and it should be smart enough to resize or realign the text as necessary.

3. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I don't allow them. And, seeing as I don't allow them I don't use them either.

4. kev

kev Regular Member

Only for vip and moderators, and only then small images are allowed.

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

If members in such groups decide to use images in their signatures, are they also viewable to those who are in groups without the ability to use them?

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I would assume so, although I do not speak for Kevin. It would only make sense, in my opinion to show the signatures to all users.

7. toetapping

toetapping Newcomer

First Name:
    Joy
    I allow signatures on mine and it is very popular. Even just finished picture classes to teach many how to add pictures, avatars etc. Through that it has increased my entries in the monthly Photo Competition. Have limited their size though.

8. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    I don't have a problem with them in general but I hate huge picture/signature boxes.

9. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    I have a self made script to make signatures and avatars for my members in my main forum.
    I'm also waiting for one mod to be made compatible with SMF 2, so that I can move from SMF 1.1.10 to 2.0.
    SMF 2 allows the admin to control signature height, maximum amount of lines, with and height of images, allowed BBC etc.

But I really never had to edit a users sig, no one ever "overdid" it.

10. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i allow images on signatures as long as they are not too big, or containing anything that is against the rules of the forum.

big signatures annoy me, there was one member on a forum i used to be on ages ago that had a huge signature, with two photos in it. it was really hard to read the forum when her post took up half the page

11. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

Thanks for this thread XD. Been trying to figure out what rules I should put on signatures for my new community or what not.

Also, I agree with FMB, some signatures just look ugly as hell. Counting mine to as I'm a graphics nub =).

12. techit

techit Addict

First Name:
    Prabh
    no images not allowed...niether are animated avatars :) its a challlenge as it is to get members to understand and use basic Vb features :)

13. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

I have regular members and paid subscribers. The regular members have a certain amount of lines and can use smilies in their signature. The paid members have more lines and can have 3 small images up to 150px in height or one large image 150 px in height.

This works for me.