I'm getting close to losing all faith in vbulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I'm not so annoyed anymore, but I still don't have plans to update my site to 4.0 anytime soon.
    I still like the 3.8 series :)

2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Same here, I couldn't care less about vB4 either. I will always prefer vB3 over it, so why even bother moaning about vB4? I renewed my vB license 3 weeks ago and can use vB4 forum if I wish. I tested it locally with WAMP to see what I thought about it. Result, I couldn't remove it fast enough!

Everything just looks and feels like a right old miss-mash of things thrown together right now with it. But I guess that will change later once the Admin CP matches the front-end, and things are brought together better.

3. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Newcomer

I quite like the current version of vB4. Building a new site using the suite, and not really having any problems with it.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    That's great, glad it's working for you. :)
    Mind if I ask what you think about the CMS, have you or your admins had any issues setting up the widgets and getting the content setup.

5. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Newcomer

I'm not using the majority of the widgets, as I have no use for them, and frankly, I think they just clutted up the page and detract from the important information. The ones already on the page seem to work fine though.
    I've had to install a mod to make the comments link back to the original promoted forum post or blog, which is something that should have been there as standard.
    The only thing I'm really missing at the moment is the option to have an RSS feed post articles directly to the CMS.

6. nishant.soni

nishant.soni Novice

First Name:
    nishant
    I used to be one of the fans and developer of 3.x.x.... then was busy in offline business. After few months, when I was planning to get one of my forums upgraded to vbulletin from mybb, I chose to go with vbulletin as they already had some nice features in sitemap [pinging service] and pre-made option for friendly URLS.

But EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN WORST! I am going to start all my new projects with IPB. Only reason that would FORCE experienced vbulletin users to use it is vbSEO now. if IPB wud come with any equivalent solution for SEO, then I can guarantee 80% would move.

7. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I think your making the right decision myself. The problem with carrying on using vBulletin 3 now, is that sooner or later your going to hit problems using it as time goes on - seeing as IB are no longer going to officially support it in the near future. I think vB 3.8.5 was the last release we'll see of it now unless a security patch is released.

And when you look at vBulletin 4 (as it stands right now) compared to IPB 3.1. It's simply streets ahead of it, IPB 3.1 that is. I just can't see vBulletin catching-up IPB now under IB control myself. The quality is also gone now that really made a lot of people want to use vBulletin more than anything else. That's what I liked about vBulletin, the quality aspect of it.

I just don't see that anymore. All I see now is a product being put together too fast to try and keep competitive with IPB, hence all the issues all the time cropping up.

8. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I've read several posts on the IPS company forum where they have better google results after moving to IPB 3.0.5, from vB & VBSEO. Just in case you missed those.

I really do not have any experience though.

9. AbaDe

AbaDe Newcomer

First Name:
    ADnath
    The main Problem with vBulletin is they release a new version per month :) which is a very big problem as we have to update the Installation per Month

I hate vB for that , as they may have updated their product and fixed their bug issues but they don't do as a package like WPress or phpbb being it is free , it is very good to me :)