I'm getting close to losing all faith in vbulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

There's also the legal matter. Unless I posted it at vB.org (which isn't really that much of a possibility, due to the amount of support I'd need to provide), I'd have to post snippets of vBulletin code publicly (for find/replace purposes), which is as illegal as redistributing it, as far as I know.

It's just a road I don't want to try and tread down at this time, too many risks and ifs involved in it.

2. Ryan Ashbrook

Actually, it still has the vBulletin 3.8.4 branding and copyright, as required, however in parentheses next to it is "CrystalvB 1.0.0 Alpha 1". :D

Admittedly inspired by SomethingAwful's forums. :P

If IB have an issue, they can contact me and I'll remove the CrystalvB part, and replace it with something else.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

You don't necessarily have to provide support on vB.org. Release the updates there, mark it as unsupported, and offer support on a separate forum (of yours). You can even charge users for support, to reduce your workload. I know that I, and a few other members here (at least) would be interested in this and would gladly sign up or subscribe.

I plan to stick with 3.8 for a while, and I'll need all the patching and fixing I can get once my licenses expire.

4. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    Not to mention an alternate solutions would be for clients that want your support could always create an administrator account just for the purpose of doing updates. I've done something similar on several of my forums and other scripts.

5. Ryan Ashbrook

I'll consider it, I need to check out how busy I'm going to be, considering my own BBS' unveiling is right around the corner.

In the mean time, if you want a technical admin, I'd be willing to negotiate with a few of you.

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    It's starting to get annoying (to me) to even post on vb.com
    every 5th thread is a repeat of a question or thread that's been asked before.
    I try to help out and there are some great ppl on the .com, ryan, lynne, wayne to name a few, but it's just "not fun" anymore :(

well I picked up a 3.8 version with blog and vbseo
    http://twitter.com/BrandonSheley/status/8202337258
    not sure if ill update it to 4.0

7. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

Yeah, it's getting to the point where I am just not answering those questions. Sometimes I have to wonder... these are all admins on the site and yet they don't seem to know how to search or just browse the forum to see if their issue is already posted about. Oh, and then of course they get all pissy when their question isn't answered right away. :rolleyes:

8. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    That's what you get when the user base switches from seasoned vets to newbies. Most if not all the posts are by people that have just purchased a license. You don't see many that have had vbulletin for 2 or more years cluttering up the forums. Another problem is the some of the more seasoned vbulletin users have left and the ones that are still there don't help out like they used to. This is what happens in times of change.

9. Ryan Ashbrook

Agreed.

10. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

The community forum has become a disorganized nightmare for me as a user. There are way too many threads to browse for what one is looking for. I apparently don't have the hang of the new search, I'm either buried with pages of crap or nothing comes up at all. So although I'm pretty sure it's already been asked, I end up posting a new thread with what is surely an old question. And often there is no quality in the answer, or no answer. As is true of other threads if they are found ... it is just another layer of crap on top of more crap. It's collapsing under its own weight. That's my impression of that forum right now, as a user & customer.

I would like to move on to vb 4. But with no manual and information scattered as if someone tossed a foot-high stack of loose paper in the air ...

11. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Why would they need to switch just because its EOL, this seems to be a common myth I dont get. You can carry on using it as long as you want.

Yep, I think I posted it first ;) The end result is known by all.

Im not sure on the legalities here - you are free to alter your own forum code as much as you want, and also modify others as well if they hire you to (or even for free !). As long as you dont package the whole thing up and sell it, or redistribute wholesale vb files publicly. As long as the person who runs the forum has a valid licence of course.

12. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

I agree. I think Bob B. said so, roundabout. I think there are customers who can live with it, and those who can't. The customers who can live with it are the future customer base of vb. Those that can't, aren't. ;)

13. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Bingo.

Not knowing if future versions are going to work, is something I'm not able to cope with.

14. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I agree with you on that.
    but.... of the clients I've talked with, 99% don't like using unsupported scripts, which the 3.8 series will be when it's EOL :frown:

15. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've been experimenting with 4.0 on one site, and this is what I've run up against so far:

- Out of memory issue during upgrade. Fortunately I just had to start the install process over, but this was the first time I've run into a problem while upgrading to a supposedly stable release.
    - Not all the mods I need have been brought over yet.
    - Only one skin on vb.org that suited my needs, and most of the images didn't work when I installed it. I learned a lot about the stylevars that night, but I still haven't got it aligned properly.
    - It choked on the Google Analytics code, and I learned about the vb:raw stuff that night.
    - Some of the admin options I'm accustomed to setting have been moved or eliminated.
    - At least one of my conditional statements isn't working. Still have to look up why.

On the bright side, I do like the default skin, and could even picture using it permanently (well, once I add a logo and some color). And I know most of the major mods are being worked on. I'm sure these problems will be eventually smoothed over, I'm just glad I don't have any members on that site yet to complain :)

16. tldagent

tldagent Novice

First Name:
    Justin
    I definitely agree with the overall consensus here on the dislike for vb4. I was a sucker and upgraded to the new license and it's simply a boat anchor. Maybe in the next 12 months it will be a stable product until then, I think sticking with old reliable is the way to go.

Have two test forums up and basically the same with vb3.8 and 4.0 for a new forum and I think vb4 is a complete waste of time and energy at this stage of the game. Vbadvance will help the CMS portion of it but for some odd reason, I feel like vbulletin ripped me off with this crap.

17. Desu

Desu Addict

What gets me is the insertion of \ in code tags...

It ruins the whole point of having the code tag, when programmers on my site are unable to post code.

18. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

At least you're in good company! LOL A lot of us paid for it, me included, but it didn't help that they put us in that situation to hurry up and choose. By the time I figured out what was going on, I didn't have very long to make my decision.

19. Desu

Desu Addict

I was rather annoyed, because we had just bought a leased license for one of the new sites on our network... A week before they announced they were getting rid of leased licenses.

I updated one of my sites to vB4, just to test it out, and see if the members on the site liked or disliked (Their use to being used as lab rats =]), and not one member has said anything positive about it, and has only asked about downgrading, or switching to a new software (Even if it ment losing their accounts and all of their posts).

20. Slinky

Slinky Addict

My Gd.... so much has happened here since I left. My sympathies Brandon. If you can be frustrated well... it speaks for itself. Always glad to help if I can, including if you've got problems with DCMA notices again, lol!!!! :p