I'm getting close to losing all faith in vbulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    how do you really feel :lol:

2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I have a question, maybe I have missed this somehow. But what's happened to the search function of being able to search individual boards in vBulletin 4 from the main search screen? All I've seen is you can search all or nothing - unless I'm missing something.

Let it all out woman, you know you'll feel better for it. :)

3. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

heheh, short 'n' sweet, that's me. :D

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

LOL, this really made me laugh. All of these in-depth responses, and then you come out of nowhere with the magic four-word summation of it all. :giggle:

P.S.: I do too! :D

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I gave up trying to use the search on vb.com, AKAIK it's still completely broken even though it's "gold"

6. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

I don't particularly hate vB4, it has potential and it's developers are talented people. I just hate the way management is doing things..

7. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well I've just noticed something there. If you visit a forum like Chit Chat, there is an option that says "Search Forum", which makes you think it will search just that forum only. But enter your query and it takes you to the main search page instead of showing results for that forum, which then searches all the boards. As there is no option to search individual boards on that page. LOL

So they are creating the illution with that search box option displayed on each forum board, that you can search just that forum only, when in fact your not doing because that function doesn't exsist on the main search pages it takes you too.

Correct me if I'm wrong and missed something, As I'm not used to using vBulletin 4 there these days much. So I could have missed something?

EDIT: Seemed to work fine a second time around searching for (mrgtb) in chit chat. However, when I entered "vBulletin" as the search term the first time it took me to the main search page. Strange!

8. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I'm gutted to read the above and agree in some sense. I bought VB4 for a new forum and will stick with it but I'm certainly not going to port the others over until we've seen a good stable fully functioning version. And then I'll have to wait for some modifications to get ported over too.

9. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

lol, well it's how I feel. No need to go into any deep explanations of why. Everyone's already pointed out the obvious.

10. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Do you not think though, that this something that's unlikely to change? Simply because there are Share Holders involved in how they want to see things running, so they see a return for their investment.

11. kev

kev Regular Member

Just because someone at internet brands brands said "vb 4 is ready to go gold" does not make it worthy of actual "gold" status.

My opinion - everyone that installed vb 4 is an open beta tester. Because vb 4 is no where ready to be called "gold" or to be called a "finished product".

Calling vb 4 gold, is like called the sky green and the grass blue. In "your" mind it might be that way, but in the real world its something else.

vb 4 is gold
    The sky is a pretty green color today

Is about the same thing.

its time to step back, take a deep breath, and someone has to admit that vb 4 was nowhere close to being ready for release.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

1 - That's the problem. Who wants to deal with a company that claims something is ready for use when in fact it isn't? People who aren't experienced webmasters and who know nothing about vBulletin/IB have no idea what they are getting themselves into when they install/upgrade vB 4. I feel bad for everybody who is falling into the trap.

2 - It's not the customer's job to determine whether the product is suitable for use or not. To an extent, yes it is, but generally, it isn't. If the company says it's "gold" and "stable", then it better damn well be stable. If it isn't, that's a loss in trust and the reputation of the company.

So then why is it being called gold by IB if it certainly isn't ready?
    In the real world, gold means ready for use by a large audience of users. This is certainly not the case with vB 4, yet it is still being called gold.

13. GTB

GTB Regular Member

In that case, they should never have released it as Gold in the first place then. I'm really not sure what your trying to say here, it's as though your trying to defend IB for releasing a Gold product they knew was Alpha at best. And that makes everything OK because we are all still Beta testers really for them. I'm confused! :frown:

14. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

Yes, i feel as a beta tester.

Just because i want support for 3.8, but i can't post in the forum without having some problems.
    I had to change my browser, with kmeleon i was not able to post and use some features on vbulletin.com and vbulletin-germany.com!
    And as i wrote that, they just wrote that i have to post it pls in the bug tracker.

So, event i'm not official a beta tester, i'm one!

Sorry if my text is confusing^^

15. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I did, but at the $135 price. Although it now seems like I can never use vB4 as it's not up to scratch, this still represents a reasonabe deal as I was previously on a leased license. I can now use 3.8 forever.

In reality, 18 months to two years I'll be off to Invision. Very sad.

16. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

It's called gold as a marketing ploy. What sells more... Beta, Relase Candidate, or 'finished' product?

To be honest though, I'm feeling the same way as everyone else here. Internet Brands, while they haven't killed vB as bad as their other investments (that's... damning praise?), seemed to have ruined it by their obsession with money and their half assed coding practices. Or really poor management. Hell, give it a year, and I bet every current Jelsoft member of staff will have left (like those before them).

Personally though, it sure is a depressing situation. Will vBulletin die nearly right down like UBB and Ikonboard? Will there ever be a good product, will Internet Brands maybe just shut down vBulletin Solutions altogether and just use the staff to code their own network? I don't know what to think myself, I can't exactly go to IPB when most of the modifications from vB 3.8 aren't there (do they have a customise profile feature? Actually, that seems to be gone from every 'current' version of forum software on the market...)

17. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

If the share holders are at fault here, then they need to wake up. They are clearly not qualified to control how software gets developed and released to the general public.

If Management is doing it to please the share holders, without the share holders actually saying "This is what we want", then they need to change their strategy, asap.

I promise they would see a tenfold increase if they just quit with the "Release Early, Release Often" technique and actually showed love and care for the product.

18. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

19. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

I think that's for me, or?:D

20. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Many of us on the alpha/beta team screamed this very statement several times per day once we realized they were going ahead with the gold release.

Obviously, we were ignored.