"I own them, so delete ALL of my posts"

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, May 30, 2009.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Newcomer

Perhaps state in terms of use that redistribution rights are given to the forum, but let the user own the copyright on her posts, otherwise she may be discouraged to post code samples, essays, poems, or anything else that she's written.

Peace,
    SS

2. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    First off..let em sue. The forum is owned by a LLC that only has the forum as assets. They want to spend the money to sue me that badly they can have the forum if they win.

In the the TOS is the following

3. When you post:
    You retain all credit and copyrights. You grant permission and an irrevocable license to Motoring Alliance to display your works or a portion of your works on the Internet, in marketing materials and other mediums such as print, DVD, podcast and other ways, including those not yet invented. Full credit to all sources used will be given and we will usually contact you first for permission. Cross posting of your own material is not prohibited unless an agreement of exclusivity has been negotiated with Motoring Alliance. Do not post others material without their permission, unless of course you are quoting a previous post.

3. dee4life

dee4life Regular Member

I'd change the username and then ip ban the member, simples.

4. Smiffie

Smiffie Newcomer

First Name:
    Steve
    Hi Guys.

I am new to this forum but not forums. :)

In 7 years I have had this problem twice, once was a pleb member, and now I have a banned ex admin member who turned out to be "one of them".

Anyway, he is doing this "I'll sue you" and even to the degree where he is threatening to bill me £10 a day to show his post.

So I am doing some research and found this forum.

I read my T+C for joining and they clearly state that all post that are posted on my forum belong to me solely and they will not be removed.

It goes on a bit using big werds :) but it is clear and unmistakeable.

The only problem is that as a ex-member of admin he could say the "rules" have been changed after he was banned and therefore do not apply.

What a cock these people can be, the problem with removing post is that it makes the thread confusing.

My advice is to implement a rule change sooner rather than later, and date it.

regards

Smiffie.

5. David

David Regular Member

Since they own the posts, and they posted to your site and are using storage on your site, tell them you are charging them $10 a day to hold and display them. :D

6. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

heh, I have at the bottom of the site as the copyright notice:
    That kinda settles it, I may add an FAQ item on it later, but I've never had anyone like that ask to be outright deleted.

7. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I simply don't delete the posts. Rules are simply; we don't delete posts nor accounts, don't ask.

8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I don't delete posts unless they include material that I deem inappropriate. I never delete accounts or posts.