How to re-size filesize without losing quality?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by Carlos, Nov 9, 2012.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

yeah i know, i meant loss of quality compared to original taking into account text on top of the logo

2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

The logo is not that great anyway to be honest, he would better getting another image than that, which is not hard to do using a screen capture program and photoshop together. Then in the transparent area don't stick any images like you said. Then you can save as PNG8 and not worry about colour bleed, maybe even reduce quality a little further and get it down to about 40kb. Depends also how much is going on in the image itself as well, that will dictate image size also of course.

3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Here is one I did, no images in transparent area and has been reduced down as much as possible without looking bad, managed 36kb.

3.png

aa.png

bb.png

Attached Files:

• logo.zip
      File size:
      611.3 KB
      Views:
    Carlos likes this.
  4. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

I don't like most of the "banners" that's used for COD - I wanted the image to blend into the background with transparency turned on.

As for Halo, very good images posted, and I'm liking the resizes so far. The reason why I am using the images as they were, is because it's Halo 4, some of you mixed Halo, Halo Wars, and some of them are Halo 3. I want more Halo 4, and not previous Halo's, especially that lackluster Halo Wars.

I'm going to go with the lowest resized image. While I'll save the other images for "alter" months.

EDIT: Those of you who received likes, take those likes as "thanks!" :thumbsup:

5. GTB

GTB Regular Member

The first image was more or less impossible to resize down using PNG8 because of the way the edges are rough (torn fading out) using full PNG24 transparency to blend in perfectly. You ain't going to do that with the first image using PNG8, not with that banners edges being like that, needs to be PNG24. Not a lot you can really do with size compression because of that either.

As for the others not using a rough edge. Yeah! I didn't really know what images belong with what version of the game, I've never played it to be honest. As for the size they are, some hovering around 60kb or slightly less. That's about the best your going to get now. Only way to get smaller is start using more sparse banners with a lot less going on in them graphics wise, or switch from PNG to JPG banner format. But then you'll lose transparency with JPG, but can get a much smaller size. Which I posted a JPG one above showing with that pattern included in the transparency area (seeing as it would be filled) using JPG.

Me personally, I'd never use a banner that goes over 40kb large. But guess it doesn't matter that much now with faster web connection speeds.But think, could be wrong saying this. Google advices something about banner size being under something like 40kb, but not sure now about that one, was years ago?

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Anyway, here is another one I created. It does use Halo 4 based images, including background image called Raganrock or something. But as said before when too much is going on in image itself. I can't really get this down below 80kb before quality lost is too much and noticeable. But anyway, it might prove useful messing around making it. PSD is uploaded

1.png

Attached Files:

• 1.zip
      File size:
      765.7 KB
      Views:
  7. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

why not lower amount of graphic detail involved on left half of image as you'll have a forum title text over the top of it anyway ?

8. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Forgot about the forum title on left, it could have been left out yeah. The PSD is uploaded anyway to remove that soldier from banner on left-side. Redone it anyway and reduced quality more getting it down to 51k

2.png

9. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

The reason why I choose that left image is because of the spartan with that....badass...laser blade. The last time I made a Halo graphic, one of my friends was like "That master chief with that blade? Bad@$$." I wanted to find an image that communicates to the end Halo gamer...

There's not a lot of Halo 4 images to work with that blends into the greyish background. That also blends into the colors, too.

I'm a visionary, so I know exactly which image to look for.
    Um. Don't worry about the forum title on the left... I designed it to be transparent and easy to work with.

10. GTB

GTB Regular Member

It's hard to find any PNG transparent images of a spartan with that energy blade in hand. But anyway as a last banner image, which I've avoided using a large soldier with his head in transparent area at top, and the background is pretty good looking. Just posting it really.

3.png

4.png

5.png

11. johnthomas1433

johnthomas1433 Regular Member

There is no way by which you can enlarge or shrink an image without losing some quality of the image. You are changing the pixels of the image, and that changes the quality of the image.

You can try out imageoptimizer.net for reducing the file size, and you shall have to sacrifice a bit of quality of the image.