How do you value your site? What's it REALLY worth?

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by ArnyVee, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Of course :D It is something we would love to give to our son for him to look after and help grow when were old, plus it would be cool if he was the owner of a multi-million post forum at the age of like 15 :)

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Your site is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay. Sometimes you'll get an offer of half of your revenue per year, sometimes you'll get an offer that's 3x a year's revenue. It would be nice if there was a standard metric, but there just isn't.

3. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Again, 500k...but will consider offers starting around 250k....yes I'm serious :D

4. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

"What someone is willing to pay." is moderately ridiculous. If your forum is actually bringing in revenue, then yes, it is very possibly worth more than what some yahoo offers.

I had a guy recently ask me if $10k would get him a moderator position. No, of course, but it gives you an idea of the personal value some people place in my forum.

5. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

It's pretty much a guarantee that any small forum can be completely rebuilt for about $50/member, $20/thread and .25$ a post, so there is a cap here. No one will offer anything close to that if only because someone could pay me $20k and I could guarantee them a bigger forum in the exact same niche, with higher search engine rankings, etc. I would do some promotional/SEO work, and directly hire a few experts as professional writers for the forum.

There are going to be some exceptions, based on the average quality of your writers, extremely high search engine rankings, and so on, but those don't apply to smaller forums.

6. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Have you ever sold a website?

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've had members brazenly trying to get a staff position, but that takes the cake.

8. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    My point is the forum isn't for sell ;)

Thanks for the info though, if you know any writers that knows about my niche I'm all ears.

9. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

How does that relate to the point?

The only offer I've ever gotten for Elliquiy was for $300. It was unsolicited - Elliquiy is not for sale. It's not even a matter of personal attachment, the domain name alone is PR2, will likely be PR3-4 during the next update (~2k established backlinks, two from solid PR7 pages) and is in the top 10 result for a major search phrase. It gets 1,200 truly unique visitors a day.

Now, you can claim that, since the only offer I ever received was for $300, that's what it's worth. I can also laugh at you : )

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Someone else may be willing to pay more, but just hasn't contacted you. I didn't say that it was worth whatever offers you've received, but whatever people would be willing to pay. Of course if it's not for sale it's worth as much as it brings in.

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Well, no joke when I say I wouldn't sell any of my sites. They are priceless for me.

12. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Well it's good to have sites that you're proud about definitely.

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Ditto.