fair price for custom design?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by musicman, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Jacquii, IIRC you told me on another forum you use TalkFreelance too to get work?

2. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

TalkFreelance is a very good place to both advertise and find members who are looking for a designer.

3. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I haven't really used it but it's a nice place where I can sell off what I have laying around. It's either them or SitePoint for me, usually. :)

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I've picked up a couple of clients from there who advertised for a designer, but have never really advertised my site.

5. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Oh, I've heard of your site before, I just didn't know it was owned by a woman. :p

Don't kill me. :shifty:

6. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

LOL naw I'll let you live to see another day :giggle:

7. plazzman

plazzman Adept

Being that design isn't my fulltime job yet, I try to charge anything cheaper than the next guy. I barely care about the money, I'd rather build a portfolio and get my name out there.

I'm still young and have a bit to learn (coding), so I'd feel bad charging anyone so much.

8. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I charge less than most designers because I remember where I came from, and know that alot of people just can't afford to dish out $300+ for a nice design. It's those people that I cater to.

9. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Peg, what do you think is reasonable? I'm in the same boat, I try to provide premium services for "dirt cheap", and it usually gets some repeat folks and referrals.

10. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Boss, my prices for a custon design start at $200.

I have 40+ free styles for download as well. Just recently I started a promotion where I'll customize the header and forum status icons and certain other aspects of a free style for $50. If they want to go beyond what I'm willing do for $50, then they have to look at getting a custom design.

I decided to do the $50 promotion in light of the sinking economy, and tight wallets. Too many people just don't have the $ to sink into a whole custom style.

11. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Oh, very nice plan you have. I've been thinking of getting a few templates and selling them off as packages. I've done it once and it was 3 fully coded templates that would usually sell for $100 minimum each, all for $25. I got a handful of rude PM's because I was "stealing business" or some stupid comment such as that. I guess I have a heart then the guy who sells a basic looking site template for $400. :rolleyes:

12. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Where do you sell them at? TalkFreelance?

13. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Different places. Sometimes someone I know via MSN shows someone at that someone buys it from me.

There's this teenager I know, who's about 17 and makes a few hundred every few weeks by selling stuff off of his deviant. People advertise there too, I think with the current trend of networking and internet based tools, selling stuff now is oh so much easier than before.

14. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    Dang - I'm so late to this convo lol - I'm on a 3rd shift schedule ARG...
    Anyway - I've gotten only a few clients from TF - I think that forum, people are so damn stuck up and rude - it's ridiculous - So I don't frequent it very much.

Jacquii.

15. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Ah, you just need to show them who's boss. I have a saying, step on my toes and I'll end up taking everything you have. :)

Being aggressive but polite is key.

16. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Depends on the designer, their prices and what you are looking for.

I know forum owners who have paid $1,500 for a forum design but I know some who have paid $150. It all depends.

You get what you pay for, basically.

However, an average price to me is $300...

17. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    Oh - I know - Most people in the vB and design world know that MsJac does not put up with anybody's shyt LOL - I'm kewl ya know - Very laid back and like to have fun... But when some Dude negative repped me on TF, told me that as a [****][****][****][****][****][****] I should stop eating chicken, and sent me racist emails from the TF contact forms... Well - needless to say - I went off - MsJac kinda snapped... And it wasn't pretty LOL

Actually - my introduction to the TF Membership base included a couple flame wars in which I basically told people to stfu and stop being @ssholes LOL - It was a little fun I suppose - but still the same - If I wanted the extra drama - I suppose I'd be a posting fiend over there - But I'm an official No-Drama Mama :p

Jacquii.

18. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Whoa... sounds like a pretty interesting situation you had there. :eek:

19. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Oh yes, that was an unpleasant one indeed - you forwarded me the e-mails.

Those e-mails kind of fired me up to snap back, but you know what, it's not worth it. It's his loss and the next man's gain.

20. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    Well - it was a bit of crazyNESS actually - After getting the emails, I'd actually sent their one active Staff Member an email requesting removal from the forum. He said nope. So - the politeness went out the door and Ghetto Jac was born LOL --- Anyway - TF is nice if you can get into the "it" crowd - but I'm a bit too....... nonchalant and renegade-like to appreciate belonging to some little TF Clique.

Jacquii.