Does vBulletin just need to start from scratch?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

I agree with Icewolf 100%.

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Many companies buy up profitable companies only to gain short term profit by either feeding off an established brand for as long as they can or selling the parts to make a profit quickly. .

I would bet they made a tidy profit off of vbulletin in the first few years. Enough to cover the initial investment plus. I also believe they still make enough to cover costs of running the business. I doubt they are turning much of a profit. If that is the case then they'll sell, probably at a much lower price then they paid, and still show substantial gains while they owned vbulletin.

It's simple business 101 and IB is playing it by the book.

Brandon likes this.
  3. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

If Internet Brands is selling, I'm buying.

4. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Um. It may look that way, but they are going about it all wrong.

You just don't piss off a lot of your customers and call it "normal business" (and get away with it). You don't start law suits and either lose or drop them and end up making your competition in some cases even stronger. You don't have an acceptance rating of 45% among your current and past employees. You don't get to be known as El-Cheapo or Mr. Cash Grabber. You don't miss marks by a long shot, when it comes to innovations. You don't make the same mistakes over and over again.

A proper business produces quality and adds value and continues to add value to their products and services for their customers. That is how a business makes money and grows. IB has failed to achieve this one basic and main rule of business, especially for vB customers. So, IB may be trying to play it by the book. It seems quite obvious to me though, they have a serious reading comprehension problem.;)

Scott

Brandon and Big al like this.
  5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Scott it happens all the time in the business world. They also don't care if they piss off employees. They don't care about customers. They bought vbulletin to make money and they did that. It's also fairly normal to sue former employees after they leave. It happened to me so I know that it happens.

Bottom line is IB bought vbulletin to make money. They didn't buy it to please customers. In fact on a scale of 1 to 10 customer retention/loyalty is a 2 or 3 at best.

Let the feelings of hatred toward IB go. Get vbulletin out of your head. Move on with other ventures. IB, believe it or not, is not a fortune 500 company because they are stupid.

6. s.molinari

I guess you are saying, poor management happens in other businesses. You are right about that.

I have no hatred for IB btw. I have a dislike for their business practices and the arrogance they tend to still foster, when they don't really have anything to be arrogant or even proud about. I highly doubt they are making the money they intended to make with vBulletin. We'll never know, because they'll never confirm it. But, you just don't stick as much effort as they have into something only for it to constantly flop as their efforts in vB have, for instance.

And yes, they will never ever become a "Fortune 500" company. I am just wondering though, if it is because of stupidity or ignorance, or maybe even both?

Scott

7. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It's not poor management. In fact just the opposite. What is happening at vbulletin is by design. It's a plan laid out by bean counters before IB purchased Jelsoft. It happens all the time. Buy a company, invest minimum resources to run it and then dump it just before it's worthless. At the end they'll show a pretty substantial gain from the whole process.

8. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

Is this really minimal investment?

All the atlassin software licenses, monthly new developers.......

minimum investment for me would be => 1 junior dev working on vb
    1 new version every 6 months and that's it:D

9. s.molinari

Yeah, but I don't believe what IB has been doing the past 4-5 years is a minimum investment of resources. You don't have a 15 person support crew or a ton of middle management, a relatively large development team, investment in third party development for mobile apps or development of a Facebook app with the intention to "dump it, before its worthless". That might be their direction in the end, because they have no other choice, due to their mismanagement and poor leadership, but that definitely isn't or wasn't IB's intention with vBulletin. They really thought they could do something effective with it. They said themselves, they wanted the brand and the product vBulletin, because so many of their sites run on it. And, although we both will never be able to prove it, my opinion is, they can't show any substantial financial gains with vBulletin. They could with the vB4 pre-sales, but everything after that has had poor results.

What we both are talking about is called mergers and acquisitions and normally businesses buy out other companies to improve their own business and not to "milk them", as you propose is normal. I don't see a any motive in the Wikipedia article I linked to that relates to anything like "milking"of an acquisition. About the only thing that comes close to what you propose is "manager's compensation". But, as the article says, it does NOT add shareholder value, so such motives are rarer to find.

I guess you have your opinion of what IB is doing with vB and I have mine. I say, it is not normal business. I say it is piss poor management and leadership. What you are saying is a good excuse for them to worm out of their misdoings. I could hear it now.....

"Oh yeah. The faux pas with vBulletin? It was planned all along. We didn't really want vBulletin to be successful. We just wanted to gut it out for what it was worth. All that stuff we were doing? You mean the large staff we kept up, the investments in Mobile and the Facebook app? Yeah, all that was just show. We never intended for any of it to be good and that is actually why it all sucked. It was all just an attempt to get vBulletin customers to buy in some more into vBulletin. We never wanted to give them any value. We just wanted their money."

:rolleyes:

Scott