Do you report piracy?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Ryan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. torque

torque Regular Member

I hosted a mates site which grew in popularity and he was using pirated vbulletin and he was removed by my web hosts for it being found to be pirated version and so when it was deleted the members of that site came and bombarded my site with abusive messages and then hacked into my site and deleted everything leaving a message saying: "Paybacks a biatch"

2. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I would. Absolutely.

As someone that sells custom products, I would go after anyone that copied my work and started selling it as their own.

Also, there's a reason that software costs what it does. Yes, they make a lot of profit from it from legitimate customers, but that's what business is all about.

It's steeling. It may just be a bunch of code, but a lot of work went into it to make it what it is.

Am I a goody-two-shoes? Maybe, but piracy of any kind really gets to me.

3. Been Told

Been Told Regular Member

I don't think it's right and don't do it. But I wouldn't report someone using a pirated forum software. Unless I really, really disliked them or something. But I've never been to a forum that I thought may be pirated - and probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

It honestly depends on the situation. I'm not going to take the time to proactively make it my goal to track down, find, and destroy each community running an illegal copy of a commercial-grade script. It's not my place to do so, and it's certainly not my problem.

Let them get caught on their own.

5. Broadsword

Broadsword Newcomer

First Name:
    Martin
    I totaly agree with you there Dave, why Snitch on someone ? what difference does it make to you if they are using pirated copies ? are you the pirate police ? :D Do you get something from it ? I suspect not I have better things to do than go on some crusade for companies that should be protecting there gear better. If I don't lock my car and it gets nicked who's fault is it ? Mine.

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Maybe they should offer incentives :D

7. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I haven't reported anyone because I've never been on a pirated forum (or one that I suspected to be pirated) that I know of.

It has nothing to do with what I would get out of it if I were to. I just think it's wrong to use someone else's copyrighted program without paying for it, and the copyright owner has the right to do what they will with someone who is.

8. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I'd take that up in a heartbeat.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

In extreme cases, the quality of work put forth by the developers may decrease, or the price of the product may increase to cover for the losses caused by the pirate users.

If user-submitted pirate reports help to minimize these effects, it's completely worth it, in my opinion.

10. tech

tech Regular Member

I suspect Admin Addict, Now gimmie a dedi before i report!
    :lol2: