Do you have test accounts for all usergroups?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Abomination, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

But isn't it easier to have one browser open (e.g. Firefox) where you are logged into the AdminCP and another browser open (e.g. Internet Explorer) where you use a single test account, and you quickly move the single test user from one group to another in the FF window, and test the permissions in the IE window? It's much easier than logging in-and-out for each and every test user.

2. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

That would definitely be easier. Currently use 2 computers, one for admin cp and the other for logging in/out of test users.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

You don't even have to use two computers. Two browsers would do the job, as I mentioned. :)

4. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

No, I don't. People register and help me ^_^. Those are my BETA testers.

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I would choose a select group of "beta" testers to do the dirty work for me, but I'm very finicky when it comes to making sure that the settings and permissions are configured perfectly - I don't like others doing it for me, if that makes sense. :)

6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Oh usually I test the permissions myself, anything else I don't mind.

7. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I knew of a forum that had an issue where banned users could view (but not actually read threads) in the admin section. You can imagine that even a flaw like that could be very damaging, especially on a gaming community forum, where sensitive matters are always handled there.

Anyway, I use one account for testing. I have trouble keeping up with my passwords as it is, and setting multiple privileged users with the same password is just against everything I believe.

8. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    that would probably be smart to do

I have one that I keep as a regular user which is my first check; I'm not worried about issues leaking out to mods+ in the time that it takes me to promote the one test account temporarily.

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Do you delete the test account between uses or keep it intact?

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    intact -- nothing that I feel the need to hide

as a matter of fact it's just my username reversed

11. Impulse

Impulse Newcomer

I have a test account with the Name of the site as the username, I use for testing permission on current and new usergroups.

It works great, and everyone on the forum knows about the test account, so nobody will be wondering how some random member suddely got a promotion and a different username color.

12. Blake

Blake Regular Member

IE? Yuk. I'd go with Opera, Safari, or Chrome for the test account and Firefox for ACP work. Haha.

But to answer the question, I do have one account to see how things look as a non admin.

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I do often use Chrome as the second browser; it just depends on which my mouse cursor ends up closer to: IE or Chrome. :lol:

I would never use IE to browse regularly. For that, I use Chrome if I want to do some casual browsing. Otherwise, I use Firefox with my plethora of add-ons, gizmos and gadgets. :D

14. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I don't particularly have test groups for all the usergroups, otherwise I would literally have like, ten test accounts. I just make a demo account if someone complains the registration isn't working or a feature doesn't work for them, and make it match the same usergroup settings as the question asker.