Database Backups

Discussion in 'Security and Legal' started by Nick, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

I (obviously) use the mod I have released.

It backs up every night to folders based on the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday etc). So I always have the last 7 days on the server.

I then use the plesk backup system to backup those files to an ftp site once a week.

2. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

God, I wish you were my dad.

3. oldlock

oldlock Newcomer

Hi. First post here. In the past I used a program called mysqldumper which would run the backup and email the .sql file out as well as place it on he server. Since converting from phpBB to VB and importing all the attachments into the database (about 450 MB) I use a remote FTP hosting site and do daily backups via Cpanel. I'm lucky that the forums I look after are all low volume niche communities and 1 days loss of posts would not be a disaster.

I have had to rely on a backup in the past due to a disaster when installing a phpbb mod ..

4. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

I've actually developed a different scheme that means I have to stop doing the weekly rotation : / It involves having a secure, restricted-access backup account that can only see encrypted backups.

That way I avoid the WHT issue. Hacking my main server leaves the backups intact. Hacking the backups leaves the main server intact. Win-win.

5. David

David Regular Member

Move your attachments out of the database unless you have to have them there. The benefits of having file system storage far out weight the benefits of database storage

6. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    I manually back up my database every week or so. I really should work out how to get the cron jobs running on my host's server though - I've messed with that section of the control panel but don't fully understand it yet!