Cases with the BBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by ruiner, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Slinky

Slinky Addict

My post and this last one are the point. Cases with the BBB can help with leverage when finally the time may come to take some action, whether it is a warning letter or filing suit.

2. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    Sadly i am missing something, bob brisco isn't really paying attention to what is happening here. I am a bit disappointed that bob hasn't tried to make some sort of statement about the bannings and heavy handed treatment of his customers.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

I'm not.
    To put it bluntly, IB doesn't care about us, the customer, any longer. They started showing this when they raised the price (the first time), and they have continued this for the past 2 years.

End of the day:
    Long gone is the company Jelsoft/vBulletin that actually listened to what their clients had to say and cared about their reputation. Now, they destroy that reputation and care about one thing, and one thing only:

bottom line

4. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    You are 100% correct.......all i said is "i am a bit disappointed". I would think that a person whom owns a company that has been around for a long time like this, would try to have some dialogue with the loyal customers....

5. Slinky

Slinky Addict

I am a lawyer. There are all types of consumer laws that might prevent the kind of marketing games that went on with vBulletin 4, some of the best examples being the alleged sales of vB 3 licenses knowing full well that a customer would have to pay to upgrade to vB 4 just a short time later (or pay $175 when they couldn't download needed updates to vB 4.)

A real problem occuring here are custom and practice and, if I don't get my expired maintenance issue resolved, I'm thinking... I sent in my reply ticket, furious that those of us with the above get smacked without notice paying even more the $130 + maintenance fee.

Now here is a thought. Several times they advertised that "active licenses" qualify for the $130 price. Anyone who deals with software knows that if vBulletin meant something else, they really screwed up with important terminology. If vBulletin intends to start weilding the law like an aluminum bat to discuss what they can do technically per the terms of the license, some of the victims will come back using the same stick. This would be embarrassing for them - it's not a mistake that even small to mid-size technology companies make.

I think the worst part about this is that all of us just ask to be dealt with fairly. Tell us what you propose, give us prior notice of the terms, let us know what might be expected from us, and let's move forward. Additionally, there are reasons leading me to believe that terms may have been deliberately left murky out in the forums, resulting in many confused people upgrading for fear they would lose the "best time to upgrade." They better hope that nobody sends the company a preservation letter in the next few months with regard to what really went on behind closed doors. The reasons for the cases with the BBB and the state attorney generals speak for themselves. I don't think there is anything more to say. Whether or not you were fortunate enough not to have been clipped, too many have been clipped and there is no sign of making right with those customers.

6. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I sure wish i was a lawyer.........man, i would bury vbulletin.com in paper work.

7. Slinky

Slinky Addict

If you live in or near LA (you can actually e-file if I remember), a small claims case can be filed for $15 or so and make a discovery request, if I recall. The court clerk should sign an information subpoena for a nominal fee. If you requested all documents, emails and other information related to pricing for the vBulletin 4 upgrade for the year 2009, you might be well within your rights. I'm not telling you to do anything, just telling you what could be some options if you're so inclined.

8. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    i live in the middle of the united states...........along way from l.a.

9. ruiner

ruiner Novice

First Name:
    Steve
    I guess my renewal fees were fictitious and never existed under any form of contract. Oh well.. At least I tried. I'm done with this... I have already moved on. I was only waiting for this complaint's response. Now that I have it, why would I purchase anything from them ever again? I guess I just need to add vbulletin.com to my localhost file and have it point to IPB, just in case I slip... :P

10. Slinky

Slinky Addict

Even their response is rude, disingenuous and easily arguably wrong. It's about time one vBulletin owner put them to the test:

How to Sue in Small Claims Court

There you go, all laid out for you. For $30, you can not only get your money's worth but you'll also be a hero to thousands of people who were forced to upgrade (we've got several forums stuck on 3.6.x thanks to the $190+ upgrade shotgun.) Internet Brands decided it was worth pulling a fast one on every customer because nobody would have the cahones to sue. IB will have a difficult time claiming a defense in court because their own license doesn't even cover the custom and practice that had been in place for years and the oral agreement - etched in stone - that you could upgrade your 3.x license for the maintenance renewal subscription at any time. IB is stuck honoring the oral part of the agreement made at the time of sale, end of story.

I keep receiving updates of this thread but am not going partaking in the rest. It seems like vBulletin beta has even given some of the most optimistic of you the big wake up call about the reality. I'm not happy to see it either, I've just accepted who it is we are dealing with and what they are doing earlier than you are. There is no magic rabbit being pulled out of IB's Assets any time soon. I wish you all well and to think about using the other parts of Admin Addict's forums rather than this product. I'll be on the lookout next year for the discussion of the vBulletin 5 presale in 2010...

11. Lucas

Lucas Addict

First Name:
    Lucas
    Very interesting info. I'm sure someone could take advantage of it if they wanted.