Bob Brisco sends DMCA to Brandon Sheley?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Gordie, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    That is an interesting thought...........hmmmm

2. Slinky

Slinky Addict

I am with you guys. ;)

3. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    Now that is a horrible way to attract traffic to your site....

4. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Guess I gotta take back my rant about Bob Brisco being an idiot. Now he just goes back to being the guy that buys forums and doesn't give a shit about the members.

5. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    lmao......

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    If anything it was a mistake my host made & one I didn't follow up on further at the time.
    There was an email sent with a "DMCA" notice listed.
    The host wasn't able to get the email headers because of the ticket system they have setup.
    It certainly wasn't a publicity stunt from either party as some are insinuating. ;)

7. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Thanks Brandon!

I won't quote your post but the first 3 lines are a great relief to me. 1 more question, did your host indicate they were contemplating shutting your site down if the issue was not immediately resolved? Or did they shut your site down?

8. BamaStangGuy

Don't lie. It was all a plan to get me to talk nice about you and bad about IB.

9. Slinky

Slinky Addict

No offense Brandon, but how do you know?

Looking at the facts, you run a site that clearly benefits from vBulletin succeeding. You are telling us there is no way to determine the headers of the email containing the DMCA notice. You aren't publishing the above mentioned DMCA notice for unexplained reasons after you circulated this news, far and wide. That alone is enough to make you not look good at all. Not accusing, just putting together facts and appearances.

But now you're now insisting that you *know* that that Internet Brands wasn't trying to pull a publicity stunt. In all sincerity, how can you vouch for the honesty and integrity of anyone at Internet Brands? Are you on the executive team? Are you Bob Brisco's boyfriend?

If someone at IB thought it would be a good idea to appear as the victim by having another party (or themselves) sending an allegedly false DMCA takedown notice, how would you know any of this? I am just asking.

10. BamaStangGuy

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  11. Slinky

Slinky Addict

1) What bothers me is that people with a vested interest in vBulletin are vouching for their integrity all too often... but not when it comes to the upgrade fiasco. Decide where you are and don't think you can play both sides of the fence.

2) After the way Internet Brands conducted itself with the pre-sale fiasco (which is still an open legal question), trying to play the victim is hardly a reach.

I'd sooner say that Brandon may not be involved but his actions make him unfortunately look like a sympathizer going a little far and beyond the cause. I just don't think that is a good idea since he makes himself suspicious by talking about but not publishing that DMCA takedown notice. It only adds to this black hole of mystery which everyone is told to take at face value (except him and the trustworthy IB people) when deliberate fabrications have already appeared in public press releases.

12. BamaStangGuy

I can't stand IB but some people are stretching with their accusations. Honestly, I think IB brings themselves down with the forums they own and not vBulletin. I haven't once talked down about vBulletin software, but the way in which Internet Brands screws up everything it touches somehow.

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Okay, this is going to be the last time I reply to this thread so please read it carefully.

The email that was sent to my host went to his ticket system, so there is no way for use to get the header information and see who really sent the email. After all, it is very easy to spoof an email, here is a video explaining if you want to try it out yourself.

I can’t say for certain that it didn’t come from iNet, but I can’t say it did either without said header info. After reading and researching further, an email DMCA is not how this would have officially went down. A hard copy would have been sent to my host, and they would have than contacted me regarding the letter.

All the info we/my host has, has been sent to vBulletin.com and they are researching and trying to check out the IP addresses to see if anything pops up, but if it’s spoofed, that really does no good either.

I would never stoop to this type of gorilla marketing, making something up just to drive traffic to the site. vBulletinSetup has tons of great content and could easily send out a newsletter every other week with the latest vBulletin news. This is especially true with all the 4.0 drama and development going on. (but our newborn takes up all my time)

I’ve dropped this topic on my site, I’d like this thread to be closed since it has my full name it in, but that’s up to the admins.

As I said, this is my last reply on this thread.

Thanks
    -Brandon Sheley

Oh & PS.. yes, that was the best part Brent, thx again for the kind words :)

14. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    I think you must wear a foil hat at home. :uhh:

Knowing Brandon for years, I know he wouldn't do something that idiotic. I highly doubt that vBulletin/InternetBrands is that dumb either. There is a difference between changing licensing structures when a business buys another business, and forging fake DMCA's, sending them to users and hoping a backlash turns into a lovefest.

15. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Thread closed at Brandon's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.