Bob Brisco sends DMCA to Brandon Sheley?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Gordie, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordie

Gordie Adept

Hey Gang,

It appears that according to Bob Brisco's twitter, that this appears to have been a hoax.

I thought I would pass this along.

Bob Brisco (BobBrisco) on Twitter

It should be interesting to see how this finishes up.

2. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I just read that too and i am still a bit skeptical. Why would anyone other then bob brisco even come up with the idea of a DMCA takedown notice?

I will say that i am glad that bob brisco is paying attention though, up till now, he has been hiding in the background and waiting for everything to blow over.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The host could have been the one responsible for the hoax, if they had something against vBulletin/IB. :shrug:

4. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    True that........Sadly and selfishly i had hoped that bob did this so that we could open a dialogue with him and vbulletin. I can tell from some reading that this isn't going to happen. "sniff sniff". All i wanted to see were a few more options, nothing more.....

5. Slinky

Slinky Addict

Bob Brisco is the CEO of a public company. He is not having any dialogue with some user of a product about his bad experience. Twitter and these other tools only give you the appearance of accessibility and most if not all have some exec assistant reading the mail and dumping or sending you down the food chain.

6. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I was just thinking the same thing......I have tried without success to have bob brisco open up some sort of dialogue with unhappy customers.

7. Slinky

Slinky Addict

From reading posts here it is evident only few of you have worked in a public company. For the most part, you're a number and stat to be dealt with by lower levels. This is clearly Ray Morgan's baby and he helps create images for the CEO of "presence" so people like you can think the top really cares. He's probably spending more time wondering what dressing to have on his salad at a business lunch.

Look at the blog - it's a contrived affair obviously orchestrated with the help of a questionably competent PR person who helps write the fluff. The first comment is by the CTO, another member of "the family" publicly thanking big Bob in public for sharing with the family of caring loyal vbulletin people. He couldn't do this in the executive men's room? And how did he get first post? His eagerness to share his sentiments?

Ray probably runs the show, reports only the high level you have time for when addressing a CEO, assures them that all the general negative publicity will die down in a few weeks when all the naive zealots who live and breathe get to play publicly with the next exciting beta. It's another gift bestowed upon the family of vbulletin users. They are grateful for the suggestions of teenagers with the benefit of time who will give it to them for free.

Even Ray only pops his head into the vb forums to comment here and there and Steve and Wayne are tasked with mopping up the comment floor and making sure all the dirty places out in the open have been cleansed.

8. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

So, any updates? Brandon made the thread on his forum inaccessible to 'unregistered guests'.

I've seen a couple of tweets between Bob & Brandon just now. Brandon, could you give us any idea what your plans are regarding this situation? I realize that you don't want to get into specifics but was curious if you were going to forget about the call you received at the dentist, or follow up to find out what happened.

Or maybe this is on another forum I'm not aware of.

9. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    Bob Brisco claims it was a hoax and brandon removed the thread from his site and put the blog message back up. I would say this one is done.

10. linesiders

linesiders Newcomer

First Name:
    John
    Sounds like its done and likely a hoax (would love to dig out the source)...

So, I take back my previous ramblings of Optical Rectumitis as being unfounded in this case :speechless:

11. David

David Regular Member

any chance we can see the DMCA notice?

12. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    From what i have seen david, it is probably going to stay underground at this point....

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    This was indeed a hoax
    nothing else will be posted

thx

14. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Fair enough. Thank you for letting us know.

Keeping in mind that beyond my morbid curiosity regarding your specific issue, I'm quite interested in these types of issues for my site, and I would think other admins may also have an interest.

If at some point in the future you wanted to give generic input in other threads I would be interested in reading it.

For example I'm trying to avoid hosts that shut down sites without verifying complaints, but maybe I'm the only one with those concerns. I'm highly reluctant to test out these types of things by complaining anonymously to my hosting provider about my own site.

15. Slinky

Slinky Addict

Sadly enough, I hear about DMCA notices, lots of attention, and said notice never gets posted. Why not?

Not meaning to offend, but if sensational statements are made without more, and it lingers, it frequently tastes more like a publicity stunt. Not accusing I'm this instance, just saying how it could come off.

16. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Like... Filing and Fighting DMCA Notices: A 3-Part Series | AdminAddict Blog - Articles ?
    Good point. If it weren't Brandon, this would be my first (albeit cynical...) conclusion.

17. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

18. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I too think it was a publicity stunt. Pretend there was a DMCA complaint filed, get people to actually try to call out Brisco and within hours act like Brisco was the victim and everyone feels sorry for him. Makes people think that maybe he isn't so bad, so purchase his software............I call bullshit on this one.

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I think we have differing opinions here on who was behind the publicity stunt.

20. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Adept

Ditto. You and I think alike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.