Bob Brisco sends DMCA to Brandon Sheley?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Gordie, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    great post david......

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Here is the deal:

Bob Brisco is a idiot. Let's just get that out of the way. He just pissed off someone that has built his entire online presence around vBulletin. Brandon has done more in his time on vBulletin Setup to promote and sell vBulletin than Ray Morgan or any of these other corporate [****][****][****][****]s will do in their entire existence as employees working under the vBulletin name.

Why Bob Brisco, could you not take a few moments out of your day of buying forums and turning them into shit and send Brandon a personal email asking him to alter his post in a way that you would be happy with (even though you're an idiot for wanting something like that removed). That is just customer service 101.

Are you that lazy? Is email that complicated to you these days? What it all boils down to Bob Brisco, is you don't give a shit. You are lazy. You don't appreciate what Brandon has done for vBulletin. Hell you probably can't even grasp what he has done because your head is so far up your ass the lump in your throat is your nose.

Internet Brands has lost my business with vBulletin until Internet Brands is no longer in control. I've done decided that when new forums are needed for my sites they will be IP.B. I will now become heavily involved with IP.B and helping them improve their software. The customer service on IP.B is absolutely amazing. I talk to Matt Mecham all the time and he has been absolutely amazing at helping me work through IP.B.

Giving a shit goes a long way, unfortunately it appears Bob Brisco is too far up the ladder to worry about the little guys buying his software or promoting their products.

The sad thing is most vBulletin users will continue to use it and put up with the terrible management and service. That is why things will never change with it.

3. Haltech

Haltech Novice

First Name:
    Kevin
    Geez, does it EVER stop? LOL.. Good post btw David, i bookmarked it for future use :)

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

What's a DMCA? (sorry, I'm a bit fried atm)

5. BamaStangGuy

6. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    Holy shit man, that is well said. Bob Brisco is an ass at this point, he just proved it tonight and his side kicks, ray morgan, steve machol and wayne luke, appear to be puppets of Bob Brisco. I too agree that brandon has done more for vbulletin then brisco or any of his sidekicks will ever be able to do. Damn shame that brisco has stooped to these levels..

7. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    It was a law passed by bill clinton to stop audio and video pirating. It was first used to go against those that were pirating directv and dishnet, using equipment that was being sold out of canada. Then it was used in the music industry to stop sites that let people download free music.

I really don't think posting a copy of his blog violates the DMCA rule, but you would have to have money to fight that in court. I for one would try to fight it, but it depends on the individual. If brandon was using pirated software, i could see the DMCA being inacted, but placing a copy of his so called vision on a site built around vbulletin is sad. He seems to know that most people can't fight him in court and that this is totally childish.

8. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

ahha Thanks guys :)

9. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks Brent for the post :)
    very kind of you
    btw I reposted it on vbsetup, so I'll let my host know I'll have another dmca coming to us..lol

10. Gordie

Gordie Adept

I might have this wrong, so please correct me if I do, as it's an interesting and relevant legal topic of discussion. :ohi:

I believe that basically this issue falls under the DMCA rules, almost like a copyright issue would.

So I believe what you can do is, you can cut and paste up to a certain amount of words from an article only and reprint it. If you go beyond the threshold number of words, that's where you can get into trouble. And then I think as others said, there are some exceptions depending on how you use the material. But I think the problem here is that it was essentially reprinted, for lack of the proper legal term.

So in this case, because Brandon more or less just cut and pasted the blog as is, that's why it could be a DMCA issue.

In a nutshell, what I believe what you can do is, you can post a passage from an article (up to a certain number of words) and then you can provide a link, to the original content and also give credit to where it came from. But once you go beyond the threshold number of words, then you have to get permission. And all that assumes that the rights holder doesn't have another policy on how their content can be used.

Basically how I learned this, was from a issue that came up where people were cutting and pasting CNN News articles as news items on their own forums and websites. Well, as you probably guessed, CNN didn't like that, so they essentially tried to stop it from happening and I believe they used the DMCA to do it. I believe they now have a policy on their site where you can ask them for permission, or get permission for reprinting their articles.

RSS feeds get tricky too from what I remember. As the feeds can have policies as well. Meaning, they are assumed to be for personal use and they can't automatically be assumed to be free for reprint on a third party website.

I might have some of that wrong though (probably lots of it ) as I'm going from memory from quite awhile back.

Given that, feel free to jump in and clarify. :)

11. BamaStangGuy

Even if Brandon was 100% wrong sending the notice was idiotic at best.

12. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Gordie, I agree there may technically be some issues with dcma, but look at the 'why' that might be behind it. What possible reason could there be in this case?

Maybe he just doesn't want his blog quoted so it is not permanently archived?

There must be other things going on over at vb.com that are not being said in this thread.

13. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    The law was inacted to protect copyrighted material (most of which were movies, music, and software). Posting something that was intended for people to read, such as a blog, becomes property of the internet. I firmly believe brandon can beat this since it was released as a public announcement. Had it been provided to a private group of individuals, it would still be hard to prove that it was a violation of the DMCA act. Bob Brisco is on a slippery slope with that one. Nothing was pirated or stolen.

14. Gordie

Gordie Adept

Hey Fellas,

Make no mistake, I think what happened was totally lame.

I was just trying to clarify, what the infringement and justification for the DMCA might fall under from technical point of view.

So make no mistake, I'm totally with y'all and Brandon on this.

Aside from all the legal mumbo-jumbo, couldn't someone have simply sent Brandon an email if this was such a big issue? Or perhaps a PM on the official forums where he posts? There were so many ways they could have made this request, was this really necessary?

What IB did was total overkill IMO. Maybe that was the intention? Who knows? Perhaps old Bob is trying to scare people in an effort to quell the criticism?

Even if that is the case, as other people have said, Brandon's site has come down on side of being fairly positive on recent events. So Bob might want to get his vision checked out, as he seems to be aiming at the wrong targets if you ask me.

To me at least, it's pretty evident at this point, that vBulletin have a VERY, VERY, serious and on-going customer relations issue. Very serious. And we can debate all day long about whether it's deserved or undeserved, who is to blame for it, what is unfair and on and on and on - but the reality is, at the end of the day, it's pretty clear that IB hasn't and isn't handling this situation very well at all. They might have record sales, but so does IPB - and that can't be a good sign.

And this latest little development, just made the hole that IB is in, just a wee bit deeper - at least IMO.

If anything, it illustrates, that some of these stories of IB playing hardball with customers behind the scenes, probably have merit.

What's the old attage?

If you're in a hole, the best way to get out is to stop digging? ;)

To me, I'm really surprised that vBulletin haven't made an attempt to step up and make an effort to reach out to their disgruntled customer base and make things right where possible. For some, it's already too late.

There's a valuable lesson that many of us learned today....

Namely, that this crap is like most, it starts at the top and then filters its way down.

Hopefully some also found out today, that it's not the foot soldiers like Steve and Wayne that are to blame here. ;)

15. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Good on you brandon. ;)

16. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I am totally with ya and don't know all of the in's and out's of the DMCA, i just remember from back in the day that it was put together to protect copyrighted material from pirates. Sharing something that was given to the public wouldn't cross the line of pirating by anymeans. But maybe there was more in the law then i knew about from the early days of the laws enactment.

17. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    *Gets popcorn*

This is bloody interesting.

18. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I know, everyday it gets more exciting. Hard to believe that this guy (bob brisco) actually took this company public looking for money.

19. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    It isn't just this one thing that's interesting. I started using vB several years ago, but only bought it when 2.x was still out, and switched over to the darkside later on after 3.x came out.

I've been through the joys of 3.x coming out. It's just that it isn't everyday you see a celebrity death-match-esque situation in a forum environment.

20. linesiders

linesiders Newcomer

First Name:
    John
    Arseclowns. Near Terminal case of Optical Rectumitis.

Speechless.

Buy and screw up forums, buy and screw up for forum software. Trend? You be the judge.

(If this was too over the top or in poor taste - let me know and I'll say it more eloquently)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.