Big news at vBulletin.com...

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by BirdOPrey5, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well, and just to point something out as a comparison. That's also the case with ProBoards, they say "you own the forum data", but you try and get the database from them. Let's hope IB don't follow a similar route as ProBoards when coming to getting hold of your forums database. As owning the data means little if they end up making it near impossible to get it from them, or they require a fee to get it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Autopilot likes this.
  2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I see their idea of Fully customizable is right up there with their idea of Beta LOL

Give me a break. Its a joke of a software and a joke of a company.

Big al and Autopilot like this.
  3. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

Ok, so..
    Source: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbcloud/account-management/4017364-vbcloud-common-questions

If I understand your "defense" properly, and just for clarification...

I should have no reason to conclude that I will ever be able to export my data from the vbcloud and...

I should expect that vB may show ads on my vbcloud site at some point in the future regardless of my wishes, and since I may not be able to export my data, I may have to just live with that.

Under no circumstances should I expect either of those statements made by you to be accurate because "plans change". Is that correct Joe? Basically I should just take your post with a grain of salt.

So 'owning' the data doesn't really mean much right now because I may never be able to get it off vb's servers, and vb might be able to put ads on my content at some point.

By the way, I have to ask this question. Under what authority did you make that thread on vb.com? We know in the past that Lawrence has made statements that other people's posts were not authorized, so I'm wondering what authority an outside contractor has to make those statements and promises you made at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbcloud/account-management/4017364-vbcloud-common-questions

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

It has? Since Day 1? Then explain these please:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...letin-5-connect-feedback/423650-vbulletin-cms

and this:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-contain-the-calendar-and-the-cms-replacement

and this

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-sales-questions/3952999-vb5-cms-release-date

ManagerJosh, Autopilot and AWS like this.
  5. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

6. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Oh my. Have they finally decided to call the vB5.1.0 article system an article system and not a CMS? Or are you coming up with this to again make a stupid defense of the product and the company? You do know, the fact the name and purpose wasn't clear from the beginning, when it was said this feature was coming was a mistake and you using the correct semantics now to argue with customers is also a mistake? And I'll bet some money, nobody has really made the decision about the real name of this new feature in vB5.1.0. And even IF they did, this is absolutely the wrong way to start clarifying the proper naming.

So what is the vB5 article system called now? You'd better be sure about this, because the next time someone on staff comes out and calls it the CMS, they'll be pointing at you, saying you said it was called the article system and not the CMS.

Scott

Autopilot and Big al like this.
  7. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Was an answer ever received for this question? after all he says they have nothing to hide!

8. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

Nope - nor any comment on the other things I posted.

Big al likes this.
  9. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

It's probably because it seems Joe loves to pick out tiny issues in semantics people may have and drill them down their throat as "being wrong", while at the same time he is entirely missing and avoiding the big picture.

Scott

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Autopilot, jmurrayhead and Big al like this.
  10. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I think many would agree with your assessment.

11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    First, you don't pay $249 for a license on top of the hosting fee- $19.99 ($14.99 if paid annually) is all you pay to use vBCloud. No where does it even suggest your pay both.

"No control over the site it is hosted on" is pretty disingenuous. They are all hosted on Amazon Web Services- there are no specific physical servers you can point to and say "This one hosts my site." Even with a non-cloud host, you don't control which specific server you're hosted on- only way to control that is if you create your own server in your home or some datacenter you have physical access to.

As for not finding the info that you own your data then you simply haven't looked very hard. It's mentioned both in the Common Questions thread that has been linked here and posted several times in the Presales Forum on vBulletin.com when people have asked the question.

According to the press release you can export your data.

No, that is an idiotic conclusion. In the future there MAY BE ad-supported vBCloud accounts, these would be different from current plans. There are no plans for these mind you, just that they are a conceivable possibility. If you ever didn't like the plan or the service you could stop using it. The only thing you "have" to do in life is die, eventually.

Thank you for making posts like this because it makes me look sane and you look not-as-sane.

According to the press release you can get your data and ads would never show up without notice/permission/agreement.

I cleared it with my supervisor if I could collect and repost all the questions and answers that have come up on vBCloud so far. Not sure what you would consider a promise other than the export data which I am confident will be available if it isn't already.

Confusion over what a CMS is and why it is different than an Articles system. The VB4 CMS was really more of an Articles system and people often confuse the two- when replying to people who use the VB4 CMS term to mean Articles I sometimes refer to it as a CMS for simplicity sake because they know what I am talking about in context.

The CMS features of VB4 were part of VB5 from day one. Widgets became Modules. Blogs were part of VB5 from day one as well. It was only the Articles system that was held back to 5.1.0.

12. thewhatami

thewhatami Regular Member

First Name:
    Mike
    According to the press release? :evillaugh:

Joe, once again you demonstrate a complete & absolute lack of understanding as to how most people seem to view the IB/vB operation - you seriously think anyone with knowledge of how this business conducts itself is ever going to trust what they say in press releases?

Seriously? :confused:

Big al likes this.
  13. Lizard King

Lizard King Regular Member

We don't care if your supervisor approved or not. We don't believe anything vBulletin Representative says which lacks vBulletin logo and an official signature on it. This is a lesson all vBulletin license owners learned :)

Big al likes this.
  14. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    I don't care whether you do or not. :P

15. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

Great customer service skills...

But im sure you only don't care until plans change, or someone decides you weren't really authorized to post that because it suits them at that point in time.

Big al likes this.
  16. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Vbulletin support staff, the warm caring people we all know and love, now let you use their new cloud system where they have greater control of your data, so they can show they care more.

17. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

I'm impressed. Coming around. :woot:

18. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

god help me

ManagerJosh and AWS like this.
  19. Big al

Big al Regular Member

From what I can see with the VB cloud hosting they will then have access to even more of your information and details.

Now IF they were a reliable HONEST organization then there would probably not be too much of a security problem, BUT, as they have refused to take abuse reports about staff members posting confidential information on their personal websites seriously AND we now see VB staff members abusing the free cloud sites for their own personal vendetta and obsession.

The obvious question is: How can VB now be trusted with even more of our confidential information? Why would anyone who knows about their previous lack of concern for confidential issues and given their proven track record of not giving a toss about their customers, actually even consider using the cloud system with them.

What sort of security assurances are they offering and why should any one believe them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  20. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

What I find most interesting about all this really is the math. AWS is rather expensive unless you buy up this huge block, which I am assuming they have, then they are selling the hosting for less than what AWS sells it for. So, how much are they really devaluing their product? They must be seriously devaluing it in order to offer such a low price. So, basically they are telling customers that they scammed them by forcing them to pay these high prices, while new customers can get it cheaper, with all these risks of course. And lets say it did take off, I wonder how much Amazon would hike the prices up on them for all the data usage. Just seems like this very, deep, dark, black hole of money. No one seems to be mentioning the money aspect of all this. Look down the road and eventually someone has to say stop in management. This idea is going to get someone fired, I am curious as to who will be made to blame for this idiotic venture.

jmurrayhead likes this.